This is probably it for me:

1. A Ghost Is Born

3. Summerteeth

4. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

5. Being There

6. The Whole Love

7. A.M.

8. Wilco (The Album)

I think my criteria boils down to "Which album, when I hit play or drop the needle on, gets me the most excited about what is about to happen?" In that regard, YHF and BT are at a disadvantage thanks to familiarity.

2?

SBS?

It's still kind of early for Whole Love perspective. I'll take my first shot at this though.

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
  2. A Ghost is Born
  3. Being There
  4. Sky Blue Sky
  5. The Whole Love
  6. Summerteeth
  7. Wilco (The Album)
  8. AM

3-5 are fiendishly tough for me. The Whole Love could ultimately move up to third. Maybe it's there now. I don't know. How do you rate things you love?

It's like ranking albums by The Beatles, for me. I love them all, some a little more than others. You could say I celebrate the whole catalog. But my preferences change with the seasons, moods, what else I'm listening to in a particular phase...

My preferences change too, but I look at it in as objective of a way possible. Just because you want to listen to a particular album more at any given time, doesn't make it your #1 album. For instance, I will always rate YHF as the best Wilco album, even though there are days where it may be the last one I want to listen to.

My preferences change too, but I look at it in as objective of a way possible. Just because you want to listen to a particular album more at any given time, doesn't make it your #1 album. For instance, I will always rate YHF as the best Wilco album, even though there are days where it may be the last one I want to listen to.

Wilco Albums best to worst:

YHF

ST

BT

AGIB

SBS

TWL

AM

W(TA)

wilco albums favorite to least favorite:

BT

YHF

AM

AGIB

TWL

SBS

ST

W(TA)

Very, very true.

If that's a reference to Office Space, then :lol

You bet it is.

I view them as falling into tiers.

YHF, AGiB, ST, TWL

BT

AM, SBS, W(TA)

1. YHF

2. AGIB

3. Summerteeth

4. BT

5.TWL

6.SBS

7.WTA

8.AM

Early days, but I have a hunch that 5 and 4 could swap places 6 months down the line. Disc 2 of BT isn't as strong as Disc1 so that might see TWL leapfrog it on the basis of overall consistency.

After three weeks of intense re-appraisal I am going to revise my list slightly.

1. YHF

2. AGIB

3. BT

4. Summerteeth

5.TWL

6.SBS

7.AM

8.WTA

Well my position of Sky Blue Sky seems to be an unpopular one. Truthfully depending on the week I sometimes consider it number one. A.M is a good album but really...I think it would be crazy to put it anywhere but last. I just don't think they had even tapped into the unique-ness that makes me love Wilco. There are great songs on A.M. but in my opinion the thing that makes Wilco special to me started with Being There

A Ghost is Born

Sky Blue Sky

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Summerteeth

Whole Love

Being There

Wilco (the album)

A.M.

So, Crow, is it ST or BT that is top tier or middle tier?

The reason I ask is because you have the following:

YHF, AGiB, BT, TWL

BT

AM, SBS, W(TA).

I'd be interested to know which is which, and because you are an upstanding kind of guy I know you won't do that really sneaky, underhand, and downright annoying thing of just fixing your mistake without acknowledging my post, as if you had it correct all along and therefore making my post look incomprehensible to people reading it.There's nothing worse than that is there!!

I went back through the thread and tabulated the results. Obviously, this is far from definitive. There were around 60 rankings.

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

-- By a pretty decent margin

2. Being There

3. Summerteeth

4. A Ghost is Born

-- Only 6 points separated these three, meaning any subsequent rankings could alter this order in any direction. Remarkably close.

5. Sky Blue Sky

6. A.M.

7. Wilco (the album)

-- These last three are not remotely close to the first four. Sky Blue Sky does have a pretty healthy lead for this spot, though, and the margin between all three is about the same as the margin between YHF and BT. It's safe to say that WTA is clearly the least favorite here.

I didn't include The Whole Love because most people didn't include it in their rankings.

It would be interesting to know not only the mean ranking score but also some measure of dispersion (e.g., standard deviation or variance of ranks). The higher the dispersion the more divided would be VC users/posters on a particular Wilco album. I bet that SBS would rank first (=more variable rankings) and YHF last. But...

It would be interesting to know not only the mean ranking score but also some measure of dispersion (e.g., standard deviation or variance of ranks). The higher the dispersion the more divided would be VC users/posters on a particular Wilco album. I bet that SBS would rank first (=more variable rankings) and YHF last. But...

If I had to guess a mean, it would probably look like:

YHF

AGIB

BT

ST

SBS

AM

WTA

Maybe Being There and AGIB would flip, but that would be my guess. SBS has the highest variety of rankings. YHF or WTA would probably have the least, YHF being on or near the top in almost every list. WTA being on or near the bottom.

--Mike

How'd the Summerteeth distribution look? That seems to be a life changer for so many. But to a few malcontents (like myself)...not so much. I wish the band had been on my radar in those days...I wonder how different my opinion would be. Still, at worst, it contains a few of the bands's very greatest songs..

How'd the Summerteeth distribution look? That seems to be a life changer for so many. But to a few malcontents (like myself)...not so much. I wish the band had been on my radar in those days...I wonder how different my opinion would be. Still, at worst, it contains a few of the bands's very greatest songs..

Part of Summerteeth's appeal (for me) was the really game changing radical departure of the sound. While they had shown they were heading someplace different, this thing really blew the lid off.

If I had to guess a mean, it would probably look like:

YHF

AGIB

BT

ST

SBS

AM

WTA

Maybe Being There and AGIB would flip, but that would be my guess. SBS has the highest variety of rankings. YHF or WTA would probably have the least, YHF being on or near the top in almost every list. WTA being on or near the bottom.

--Mike

Where would you place TWL?

Good question, Kidsmoke. Probably I'd put it in between Summerteeth and Sky Blue Sky in guessing where it would fit in the general consensus (does that feel right?). In my personal list it's with Being There and A Ghost is Born, sonedays it's number three, some days it's number five in the middle pack (Summerteeth and YHF are my two favorites).

--Mike

It was the first one for me, which might be why it's my favorite. A few of the songs took longer for me to appericate than others, but now I really see it as a masterpiece really. I know there's that Stirrat quote "the story of Summerteeth is Jay bought a mellotron," but all those layers really work for me I love the way it sounds.

Part of Summerteeth's appeal (for me) was the really game changing radical departure of the sound. While they had shown they were heading someplace different, this thing really blew the lid off.

I had BT and listened to it quite a bit but I didn't really get into Wilco until ST came out. The whole album still blows me away. Not a weak song IMHO. Not that I think there's a weak song on BT it's just that ST really got my attention.