Official reviews of The Whole Love

Mojo gives it 4 stars and is correspondingly praiseworthy about most of the tracks - though they find the mix uncohesive : what with the gentler slower tracks spread here and there. Not a problem for me - was Revolver cohesive? They did like Smileys at the end. I think JT just wanted to write something that would make Remembering all the verses of Mountain Bed feel like a breeze in comparison. Apparently Capitol City has seen them 'infected' by the spirit of jazz - not something I look forward to particularly, hence my choice of phrase. They thought I Might was a bit Dylan by numbers but I loved that tv performance from a while back. Anyway, all in all left me feeling very positive for September what with this and the venerable Richmond Fontaine too.

P.s. Skimmed the review when out shopping so can't post a full version etc. There's a 2 minute type interview with JT of about half a dozen q&a as a side piece to the full page feature.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and Nels is an alien according to JT as evidenced by what goes on with The Art Of Almost ...

From that video excerpt it's not the kind of think I would seek for a whole album but I like the variety it would contribute towards and the atmosphere it was generating until that snippet was cut short.

Can't comment on Mojos scoring policy, but I think they gave Richmond Fontaine a 4 And described it a a classic - which made me feel good as I have huge respect for WV and have a London show and a free record store appearance lined up for next month. Plus it puts Wilcos score into perspective as very hopeful too of course.

was hoping for a more cohesive album, since one of my biggest problems with Wilco (TA) was that it didnt seem to have much focus. However if the songs are good, then it could feel more like a variety show. Adding the extra bonus tracks will definitely make it a lengthy listen.

also I wouldnt be too scared about the jazz aspect of Capitol City. I'm sure it's still a rock song with jazzy aspects, kind of like Steely Dan or something. I'm interested to hear it.

was hoping for a more cohesive album

Have you heard it yet? I think cohesive is a subjective term. I thought WTA was very cohesive. One, long, cohesive piece of crap.

The Whole Love, the band’s eighth album (and first for their own dBpm label), is what critics will no doubt refer to as “a return to form”,

I like the sound of this.

About foamhands

I am a music writer based in the UK. You can find my full-length album reviews at The Quietus, Resident Advisor and Onethirtybpm, but this blog is for my quick comments and initial thoughts about new music.

I check Onethirtybpm pretty regularly, it's pretty good.

was hoping for a more cohesive album,

So...I'm guessing you didn't care for THE WHITE ALBUM or REVOLVER.

Not to overly lecture, but how about giving it a listen first...

Not to go off topic, but my bands next album is going to be the opposite of cohesive. In fact some of the songs are just flat out random. And I couldn't be more proud of it so far. Crow you can be sure you'll get a VIP listen.. :thumbup

well duh, I just said I will hold judgement. I like varied sporadic albums too, but I tend to think concept albums are my favorite.

Wilco has never done a concept album...they have done theme albums.

(And, if truth be told, BEING THERE and SUMMERTEETH are pretty disjointed in terms of style)

Nice review at Muzzleofbees.com

yes, that is a nice (read: positive) review. funny you posted a review...just last night, i was thinking/wondering about what pitchfork is going to say about this album. not that it matters: i don't need a "critic" to tell me what to think about a [great] album. just curious.

just last night, i was thinking/wondering about what pitchfork is going to say about this album. not that it matters: i don't need a "critic" to tell me what to think about a [great] album. just curious.

I was wondering too. It feels kind of funny to be having all this discussion and they haven't posted a review yet.