The Whole Love: Speculation and (eventual) reactions

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES! Thank you, Wilco, for continuing to prove why you're one of the finest bands working.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't streaming it like this tantamount to leaking it? Couldn't someone capture the stream and then distribute it? Right? Would it be uncouth to anxiously await not only the stream but someone PMing the capture?

I just got the email. It's legit, and I'm a little sad that I'm gonna miss it. Will be tailgating all day tomorrow and will be overruled if I try to stream it then...

It'll be up until Sunday morning (24 hours), plenty of time to sneak in a post game listen. And I can almost guarantee by 1:30 central time, a rip of the stream will be circulating.

--Mike

• 2 weeks later...

An artist(s)' career is an extended conversation with his/her/their fanbase. It is a rather one-sided conversation, but Jeff, like all artists, is simply sending a post card from his life. Sometimes he's the unreliable narrator; sometimes is the poet; sometimes he is the monologist (sp); sometimes he is the petulant man-child.

Jeff is in a period where he is (apparently) very comfortable in his skin and with his life. We probably won't get the ravaged narratives of ST or YHF ever again, but that is OK. Things have changed since Jay was separated from the band. And the change was unsettling. But it is where Jeff has wanted it to go, what he has wanted it to be.

The thing that has always appealed to me about Wilco/Jeff is the emotional honesty of his lyrics. This record will be another one-sided dialogue. I'm ok with that. When I am no longer content with what the band is doing, I'll just quietly move on. I've done it before, and I'll probably do it again. I used to be a rabid R.E.M. fan, but I haven't bought a new work or even LISTENED to them since Adventures in Hi-Fi. I am slowly moving away from my rabid devotion to Bruce Springsteen. And, I will probably be moving on from U2 soon.

But it's all ok. It is a natural progression...the circle of life, if you will.

I have high hopes for The Whole Love, and I am still at the point where I will be able to appreciate and enjoy it no matter what. But there is no guarantee for the future.

Great analogy. Agree REM post Bill Berry was never REM again. Things change, so do I, and the things that change with me stay with me, those that don't are fond memories that cant be replicated.

Tweedy mentions the reasoning for that tracklisting in a new interview (thread is near the top in this forum, he says it was to avoid a really short 4th side I think) - though I didn't realize that meant a song comes after One Sunday Morning. Don't like that idea at all right now - One Sunday Morning is such a perfect ending. Hmm.

Didn't see this until now, did they move Whole Love up on the vinyl tracklist to avoid starting side 3 with Capitol City?

Side 3

Whole Love

Capitol City

Standing O

Rising Red Lung

Side 4

One Sunday Morning (Song For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)

Sometimes It Happens

Another song? Yes, OK, One Sunday Monday is a perfect ending, but another new song! Sweet.

Tweedy mentions the reasoning for that tracklisting in a new interview (thread is near the top in this forum, he says it was to avoid a really short 4th side I think) - though I didn't realize that meant a song comes after One Sunday Morning. Don't like that idea at all right now - One Sunday Morning is such a perfect ending. Hmm.

He said that a song was added to the fourth side (as well as an extra 2 minutes of One Sunday Morning) to fill out that side of the record. That doesn't explain why "Whole Love" is moved up in the track listing, though.