St. Vincent (Strange Mercy) anyone?

Really excited for this record. Her sound seems to be growing more assured with each successive album and the 2 Strange Mercy tracks released so far have not been a disappointment in the least! Also, she was on Letterman last night:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank god someone else on here likes Annie. I tried resurrecting the St. Vincent thread when Surgeon came out, but nobody bit...

There are other performances of new songs from a show at MoMA earlier this month. From what I've heard, it's one of my most anticipated albums this year. She's always solid.

And she can shred in a dress.... :wub

I have seen videos of her rocking live incredibly hard. She is obviously a musical genius. If her records were just a pinch less progressive and didn't feel so..... overcooked. I might be a superfan. But I figure it's time to really dig into one and listen more than twice. This album might be the one.

Listening to the leak now, really liking "Cruel." Before this I only really knew her from a duet on a song by the National, she has a great voice. Liking this so far.

3rd time through. It's really incredible how much difference is made by listening to this thing through some headphones. I listened today at work and thought it was pretty great, but I've gained a whole new appreciation for the fuzz, dance-y guitarwork, and string swells in these tracks.

I have seen videos of her rocking live incredibly hard. She is obviously a musical genius. If her records were just a pinch less progressive and didn't feel so..... overcooked. I might be a superfan. But I figure it's time to really dig into one and listen more than twice. This album might be the one.

This is exactly how I feel about her, but I'll give it another go if I can find the leak.

Just snagged it for $2.49 using promo code INDIE150 - good for $1.50 off Strange Mercy, or twenty other indie MP3 albums

Thanks for the tip! That deal is too good to pass up. I listened to it once on Spotify and liked what I heard so far. FWIW, I loved Actor a lot more than Marry Me, which seems to be the minority opinion.

Thanks for the tip!

No problem! Just consider it payback for the lift to the bus station you gave me after the show at the Palladium in Dallas in October '09--that was you, wasn't it? ;)

Awesome album, btw--I think I'm on my 5th or 6th listen in a row.

Thanks for the tip! That deal is too good to pass up. I listened to it once on Spotify and liked what I heard so far. FWIW, I loved Actor a lot more than Marry Me, which seems to be the minority opinion.

not necessarily... Pfork gave it a higher score. i liked a few songs a lot, but it seemed too overcooked and unfocused for me (and the tour for that album was even worse). and not as agressive or catchy as Marry me either (other than Marrow).

but man... this new one, she really hit it outta the park.

Looks like I'll be flying to Dallas and seeing her there since Atlanta is sold out. The Kessler theater looks like a pretty nice place.

But DAMMIT, that means I won't get to see Wild Flag. I'm pretty sure something will always come up that prevents me from seeing Mary Timony.