St. Vincent (Strange Mercy) anyone?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, just realized if I drive to Birmingham and fly out of there, I can turn this Dallas thing into a BADASS rock jaunt by hitting up the Wild Flag show in Birmingham on the way home, and only have to take off one additional day from work.

ROCK!

I have seen videos of her rocking live incredibly hard. She is obviously a musical genius. If her records were just a pinch less progressive and didn't feel so..... overcooked. I might be a superfan. But I figure it's time to really dig into one and listen more than twice. This album might be the one.

Overcooked is exactly the right word. Also I can't quite decide if I am biased by her hotness.

Also I can't quite decide if I am biased by her hotness.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I have an aquaintance who is going to accuse me of this if St. Vincent ever comes up in conversation. But I call bullshit. It's wrong on at least two levels.

Frst, I can think of very few female musicians I like who aren't what most people would consider at least significantly more attractive than average. So, that accusation would call my entire taste in music into question. All because beautiful people exist. :stunned

Second, her looks, and the way they were presented on her first two albums, actually prevented me from giving her a chance when I first heard of her. I wasn't won over until seeing some youtube clips that I thought were really good.

Anyway, attractive girls are FAR more likely to get record deals than unattractive girls. Sometimes they have the talent to back it up. That's the case here.

I got into her after streaming Actor at a listening station and buying it. I thought it was one of the best records of the year. She performed on several late night TV shows and Austin City Limits (TV show) and all sounded great. I liked it so much I eventually ordered Marry Me, but never really felt compelled to listen to it. I haven't had the chance to listen to the new one a lot yet to form an opinion.

The coolest thing to me is that she is from Dallas and has recorded her last two albums in a Dallas recording studio.

I have wondered how her career started. From what I understand in the new Under the Radar interview she posted music to Myspace, which My Brightest Diamond heard and started corresponding with her, which led to a spot playing with Sufjan. Then she also got a spot with The Polyphonic Spree (who are out of Dallas) and at some point got a record deal.

This is a heavy 'indie' female time for new records. I think St Vincent, Feist and Bjork are about the biggest right now and all are releasing records.

I got into her after streaming Actor at a listening station and buying it. I thought it was one of the best records of the year. She performed on several late night TV shows and Austin City Limits (TV show) and all sounded great. I liked it so much I eventually ordered Marry Me, but never really felt compelled to listen to it. I haven't had the chance to listen to the new one a lot yet to form an opinion.

I think anyone who is on the fence about St. Vincent should try to catch the Austin City Limits performance. I'd been listening to her since the first album, but I didn't fully appreciate her work until I saw that show. Seeing a live performance really brought the music to life and added a human quality I had never gotten from the albums. I'd love to see her in person.

I'm loving Strange Mercy in a way that I never appreciated the previous albums. It's probably in my top 5 for the year. Top 10 at the least.

Saw her in Minneapolis in the McGuire Theater which is just south of 400 seats. Incredible performance. Also, I almost bumped right into Carrie Brownstein just after the opening set. She was clearly trying to stay under the radar but I heard a few others in the lobby say "Whoa that was the girl from Portlandia!" :P 2 guitar goddesses in one night. Pretty magical.

Don't kid yourselves boys. That might be the best show I see this year. Holy shit.

I've heard many, many people say this. I'm hoping there's one more leg of the tour that brings her to Wisconsin one more time (there are currently people trying to do this in Madison :ninja )

Mid-set she did a cover of Pop Group's She Is Beyond Good and Evil. It was one of those rare moments that live music lovers live for. Small room, Annie giving it up and every one in the audience feeding her. The guy next to me in closed eyed ecstasy as if to look at her would sear his retinas. I looked back across the audience in the space it took Annie Clark to catch her breath before launching into Northern Lights. Everyone was saying, "Holy shit. What just happened there?".

Annie Clark was full blushing.

Fucking amazing.

Mid-set she did a cover of Pop Group's She Is Beyond Good and Evil. It was one of those rare moments that live music lovers live for. Small room, Annie giving it up and every one in the audience feeding her. The guy next to me in closed eyed ecstasy as if to look at her would sear his retinas. I looked back across the audience in the space it took Annie Clark to catch her breath before launching into Northern Lights. Everyone was saying, "Holy shit. What just happened there?".

Annie Clark was full blushing.

Fucking amazing.

Great story, I think this is why we all love live music and seeing an artist in their prime. Magical moments.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Saw her last night at First Avenue here in Minneapolis. Incredible show. She was shredding whilst also being as charming and beautiful as ever. Notables include her crowdsurfing during Krokodile, a theremin solo on Northern Lights, her shout-out to anyone skipping their prom to be at the show (apparently the band had seen a number of party buses downtown, filled with painted high schoolers), and some really, really great takes on new and old material. I was able to snag a setlist and two picks(!) after the show.

427900_3123890345137_1500960148_32487557_1328028349_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

great show at the bijou in knoxville last night. fourth row. she is captivating...in so many ways.

:wub

It was a great show indeed. Got to meet her afterwards as well.. Very nice person.

And I'll second that :wub