Streaming "The Whole Love"

What makes these songs better then what was on Wilco the album is the added instrumentation. These songs have a lot more sonic depth then their last 2 records

Absolutely, yeah. Not just the instrumentation, which could well have resulted in a total wankfest, but the actual dynamics of the music itself. What makes "Rising Red Lung" the best track on the record isn't just the fact that Tweedy's given us a wonderful set of oblique lyrics a la YHF that don't feel tossed off and meaningless (see: the last two records), but that the melody is a shimmering triumph that makes the song a sort of musical sequel to "Chinese Apple", another of his finest musical moments. Glenn really outdoes himself on this track, and although his contributions are subtle, so does Nels. It's a winner.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What generalizations? I just gave impressions after one listen. Everyone has an opinion. The way the fanboys and apologists act on this board is revolting.

troll?

Sure, everyone has their opinions, but to call someone "revolting" because of their own opinion? Srsly?

Also on a warm note, :w00t listen #3 and it still makes me smile

What generalizations? I just gave impressions after one listen. Everyone has an opinion. The way the fanboys and apologists act on this board is revolting.

Being able to call a song "Utter twee shit" after one listen sounds a lot like a generalization to me.

And yeah judging an album after one listen is a tough thing to do so that's why it's probably best not to go and sum up an entire track with five words. I hate the Tweedy apologists as much as the next person on here, but what I hate more is the people who come to (or stay on) the board just for the sake of bashing.

A really nice cup of coffee probably would have helped your first listen, a whole lot less "yawns" and "blahs" I think.

Guest McGuffin

troll?

Sure, everyone has their opinions, but to call someone "revolting" because of their own opinion? Srsly?

Also on a warm note, :w00t listen #3 and it still makes me smile

Hi, how are you? No, I'm not a troll. I just responded to the attack on my post. That's all. The comment I made at the end of my post was a general comment that wasn't directed solely to the other poster.

And did you seriously just post "srsly?" Wow. Just wow. :twitchsmile

Guest McGuffin

Being able to call a song "Utter twee shit" after one listen sounds a lot like a generalization to me.

And yeah judging an album after one listen is a tough thing to do so that's why it's probably best not to go and sum up an entire track with five words. I hate the Tweedy apologists as much as the next person on here, but what I hate more is the people who come to (or stay on) the board just for the sake of bashing.

A really nice cup of coffee probably would have helped your first listen, a whole lot less "yawns" and "blahs" I think.

It's not a generalization at all. I listened to the track and made specific comments as to that track. Go back and re-read it, please.

Perhaps you could refrain from being hypocritical? You just bashed me.

Oh, and I did enjoy a cup of coffee while listening to it.

Ease up, please. It's an opinion board, where people give opinions. I liked half of the album straight away. Do I have to come here and say I loved it in order to not get attacked? Please!

You have a nice day. Geez.

And did you seriously just post "srsly?" Wow. Just wow. :twitchsmile

Hi,

I forgot, sarcasm doesn't translate very well on the internets. My bad!

Still, revolting is a bit strong a word when it comes to talking about hardcore fans, don't you think?

(also, clarinet! on Capitol City!)

and for the record, i would love this album if it were just fart noises and a kazoo.

Guest McGuffin

Hi,

I forgot, sarcasm doesn't translate very well on the internets. My bad!

Still, revolting is a bit strong a word when it comes to talking about hardcore fans, don't you think?

(also, clarinet! on Capitol City!)

and for the record, i would love this album if it were just fart noises and a kazoo.

Trollin', trollin', trollin', keep those doggies trollin'... :stunned

Only song I don't care for is Captiol City. Right now its looking:

Love:

Art of Almost

I Might

Dawned on Me

One Sunday Morning

Great:

Sunloathe

Standing O

Rising Red Lung

Like:

Black Moon

Born Alone

Open Mind ( I think this is more of a tweedy solo song. Liked it more that way)

Don't Like:

Capitol City

But that's just my 2nd listen. So things will change.

As Janice would say, "I'll give it foive"

janice-nicholls.jpg

... And if that doesn't mean anything to you, have a look at this - about half way through. It became a national catch-phrase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIWbjIw9YrM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Really like Dawned on Me, and Sun King, I mean Sunloath. Already sounds great with this stream on headphones - lots going on in my head. And thank goodness the moon/June rhyming of WTA has gone. Not at the end yet - looking forward to Smileys. Whole Love now - another pure pop gem - right up my street.

... for the record, i would love this album if it were just fart noises and a kazoo.

The only time I tried to make an album it was exactly that. A bit of a niche Market I must admit. If you're interested I can get you a copy for a good price. I'm sure I still have some copies in the garage.

Sun King

:cheekkiss

Listening on headphones. Looking forward to hearing a fat rip of this.

Can't get over the scrumptious bass lines. I think there is plenty enough here to bring me back for multiple listens.

The only time I tried to make an album it was exactly that. A bit of a niche Market I must admit. If you're interested I can get you a copy for a good price. I'm sure I still have some copies in the garage.

:w00t

fantastic!

i think i'm going to be playing this record for the entirety of September

Songs, ranked (cuz we're doin' this now):

Love:

1. Rising Red Lung

2. One Sunday Morning

3. Art of Almost

4. Capitol City

5. Dawned On Me

I think all of these are brilliant, and represent the band and Tweedy at their best. Great lyrics, extraordinary arrangements and enough complexity masquerading as simplicity to please even the stingiest rock fan.

Like:

6. Black Moon

7. Sunloathe

8. Whole Love

9. I Might

All really solid efforts.

Don't like:

10. Born Alone

11. Standing O

12. Open Mind

D-A-D-Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... snort.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz... yawnnnnn... zzzzzzzzzzz...

Pretty shitty songs that literally any band could have pumped out.

Memo to TheMaker:

music is subjective.

End of memo to TheMaker.

P.S. I don't dig the track on first listen.

A. I'm not a boy. (As Springsteen said, Mr. I ain't a boy, no I'm a man...)

B. I do a lot more things that are revolting than expressing admiration for a band on the BAND'S FAN SITE.

It's not a generalization at all. I listened to the track and made specific comments as to that track. Go back and re-read it, please.

Perhaps you could refrain from being hypocritical? You just bashed me.

Oh, and I did enjoy a cup of coffee while listening to it.

Ease up, please. It's an opinion board, where people give opinions. I liked half of the album straight away. Do I have to come here and say I loved it in order to not get attacked? Please!

You have a nice day. Geez.

How would you rate that cup of coffee upon first taste?

I'm just bugging you man but I just think I (and others) would appreciate a far more fleshed opinion than "utter twee shit".

And if you want my opinion upon my first four listens I would say that its really good and probably has the potential to move in the top tier of Wilco albums (along with YHF, AGIB, ST and BT).

I think Open Mind does work better as a solo song, great lyrics but the band arrangement doesn't do much for me, and waltzes in general probably generate "yawning" responses. Standing O I feel will move into Walken territory for me, a song I dig live but will have no real desire to keep going back to it on record.

The production on the album as a whole is killer, really really interesting and a lot to dig through with repeated listens. Great sounds and playing throughout and Tweedy lyrically is really really good on this.

Could we make the case that this has the best opening and closing songs on any Wilco record with AoA and OSM?

8. Capital City. Goodness. It's Wilco's combination of Mr. Kite and Honey Pie. Utter twee shite. The nadir of the album as a whole and as far as individual tunes.

Actually, Capital City seems like a progression from Pieholden Suite and Tried and True.

Strikes me odd there's not more love for the title track, or the semi-title track. Whole Love is really quite wonderful and gives the back half of the record what it needs: a breezy number where it doesn't sound the band is trying to do something, where it's just six guys in a room playing.

did you make a record of fart kazoos? :lol

Well...farts and kazoos were involved.

Guest McGuffin

Goodies:

Art, I Might, Sunloathe, Dawned, Whole Love

Almost Goodies:

Sunday, Standing O

Not So Goodies:

Black Moon, Open Mind, Cap City, Red Lung.

So that's basically about the same as we had with SBS and WTA, in my opinion. And that's my specific opinion. It's not bashing or generalizing. Mwah.

I listened to it once in the background and liked what I heard. But I plan on giving a better listen tonight so I can join in on the opinions. My problem is that I usually like every Wilco album after the first day. The last two albums gradually fell out of favor with me, so there's no guarantee.