Streaming "The Whole Love"

How would you rate that cup of coffee upon first taste?

I'm just bugging you man but I just think I (and others) would appreciate a far more fleshed opinion than "utter twee shit".

And if you want my opinion upon my first four listens I would say that its really good and probably has the potential to move in the top tier of Wilco albums (along with YHF, AGIB, ST and BT).

I think Open Mind does work better as a solo song, great lyrics but the band arrangement doesn't do much for me, and waltzes in general probably generate "yawning" responses. Standing O I feel will move into Walken territory for me, a song I dig live but will have no real desire to keep going back to it on record.

The production on the album as a whole is killer, really really interesting and a lot to dig through with repeated listens. Great sounds and playing throughout and Tweedy lyrically is really really good on this.

Could we make the case that this has the best opening and closing songs on any Wilco record with AoA and OSM?

On average, maybe. It's definitely their best closer in my book. I feel like I'm the only person who rates "Almost" as less than the best track on the record, so maybe it'll be controversial to some when I say it's nowhere NEAR as good an opener as IATTBYH, Misunderstood or ALTWYS. Damned good song, though, and it does certainly do the job as a first track.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest McGuffin

Did someone really say they don't like "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" and "Honey Pie"?

I actually like Honey Pie. I'm a Paul guy.

I don't like Mr. Kite though. It's one of the very few Beatles songs I could live without. I think a lot of people hate/hated Honey Pie, including in all likelihood Sir Winston O'Boogie.

Sorry, but Cap City sounds like the bastard child of these two tunes. More so Mr. Kite though.

Could we make the case that this has the best opening and closing songs on any Wilco record with AoA and OSM?

Yes. I totally agree. These are the two songs that are stood out to me upon first listen and are sticking with me after repeated listens.

:cheekkiss

Listening on headphones. Looking forward to hearing a fat rip of this..

I'm changing my stance on extraneous merchandising. I'd like to buy the album with an accompanying microchip to embed in my skull containing Smileys on a permanent loop. Then I'd be permanently walking round like some beaming blissed out loon. Would you be able to tell the difference though...

... And if Pat did produce this then GOOD WORK. I am planning to meet Sir George Martin on Sunday (he opens his garden for charity once a year). I'll tell him to take a listen...

Listening to One Sunday Morning a second time. Going to try to put the album away now until I can hear a good rip.

This album may contain some of Tweedy's richest tunes. Something further. This makes me happy.

I'm changing my stance on extraneous merchandising. I'd like to buy the album with an accompanying microchip to embed in my skull containing Smileys on a permanent loop. Then I'd be permanently walking round like some beaming blessed out loon. Would you be able to tell the difference though...

Ha!

Perhaps the subtlest of difference.

Yes. I totally agree. These are the two songs that are stood out to me upon first listen and are sticking with me after repeated listens.

Nothing could possibly top the first-last combo of I Am Trying to Break Your Heart (their best song) and Reservations.

Nothing could possibly top the first-last combo of I Am Trying to Break Your Heart (their best song) and Reservations.

Let me fix that for ya: Nothing could possibly top the first-last combo of At Least That's What You Said (their best song) and The Late Greats. :ike

Please. "I Must Be High" – "Too Far Apart" :D

Let me fix that for ya: Nothing could possibly top the first-last combo of At Least That's What You Said (their best song) and The Late Greats. :ike

Even the greatness of ALTWYS cannot make up for the barely tolerable Late Greats. So I vote no on that one.

Yeah...very band has extremes going from "Art of Almost" to "One Sunday Morning".

Meh

OK. But that doesn't make it a challenging listen. Varied, sure. But not challenging. Wilco's always made pop music, and this album is no different. Layered sounds and good production (which this certainly has in most places) does not equal difficult listening.

"Capitol City" is cool. I dig it. It's a good, slight break into the "Standing O" intro. Let me say that I didn't really dig "Open Mind" when I first heard it a couple of months ago. Seemed like a by-the-numbers folk ballad. Since I listen to so much music, I hear so much "new" music that really is so derivative, and what I love about Wilco is that every song isn't. It's an original melody, usually, and a brilliant lyric, coupled with a well thought out arrangement. "Open Mind" doesn't quite meet that standard, and I would say the same thing for "Dawned on Me". The rest of what I've heard, though, ranges from really good to great. Better than "The Album", More adventurous than SBS. Digging "Whole Love", and can't wait for the last two!