Streaming "The Whole Love"

Just had my first listen to The Whole Love--it's got my whole love. The reason why I've been such a loyal follower of this band since it's inception (and BEFORE): every single album Wilco has ever put out is so different from the one before, and every single album shows unbelievable talent. I wasn't sure what to expect from this new one. I am so totally impressed. Incredible musicianship that never ever ever lets you down. If you can't see that, you're not a true Wilco fan.

Long live the band!!!

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trollin', trollin', trollin', keep those doggies trollin'... :stunned

Way to make an good impression...

OK. But that doesn't make it a challenging listen. Varied, sure. But not challenging. Wilco's always made pop music, and this album is no different. Layered sounds and good production (which this certainly has in most places) does not equal difficult listening.

Just what exactly were you expecting? A Sudden metamorphosis into Sigur Ros?

I guess it's a matter of desire and taste, but I personally don't want "difficult listening" Pleasurable listening is usually my goal.

Just what exactly were you expecting? A Sudden metamorphosis into Sigur Ros?

I guess it's a matter of desire and taste, but I personally don't want "difficult listening" Pleasurable listening is usually my goal.

I never said it wasn't what I wanted or expected. It is what I wanted, and I'll take pop music over difficult listening any day.

I was just saying that TWL isn't a difficult album (because someone in this thread said it was), even if it is relatively varied stylistically. Not a bad thing by any means whatsoever.

I have loved something about every single Wilco album and this one is no exception. I have been lucky enough to hear them all as they came out and have never been let down. That's a beautiful thing.

It seems that Wilco has always been able to make the record I needed to hear at the time.

i listened 3 times on my laptop with shitty speakers, then i had to go shopping so i listened on my iphone with my bose ear buds and wow...love all the little layers and sounds, its a beautiful sounding record....my favorite is 'sunday morning' and i love how it just keeps going and going :yes

i listened 3 times on my laptop with shitty speakers, then i had to go shopping so i listened on my iphone with my bose ear buds and wow...love all the little layers and sounds, its a beautiful sounding record....my favorite is 'sunday morning' and i love how it just keeps going and going :yes

Agree about the headphones. I am so much more into it now that I'm listening with them and I agree about One Sunday Morning too. That is one beautiful and heartbreaking song. I love the way Tweedy's voice sounds on this song. I can't put my finger on what it is but there is a quality to it that is just so touching.

"One Sunday Morning" is Wilco folk at its best. I've repeated it several times. Love it.

I was really anticipating not liking One Sunday Morning. Didn't some internet blogghole describe it as an Alt Country Jam. That hipster dismissal was so far off base it would have to be a planned slagoff to be any more off the mark. A bit Dylanesque with some very nice musical touches.

I was really anticipating not liking One Sunday Morning. Didn't some internet blogghole describe it as an Alt Country Jam. That hipster dismissal was so far off base it would have to be a planned slagoff to be any more off the mark. A bit Dylanesque with some very nice musical touches.

First of all, bloghole is an inspired put down, good work. Secondly, yeah, I was reading all this stuff about parts of the album sounding like AM not sure I hear that at all. But I think I remember reading a Tweedy quote along the lines of "every album I ever make, no matter what, is going to be called alt-country by someone."

I never said it wasn't what I wanted or expected. It is what I wanted, and I'll take pop music over difficult listening any day.

I was just saying that TWL isn't a difficult album (because someone in this thread said it was), even if it is relatively varied stylistically. Not a bad thing by any means whatsoever.

Mea Culpa. I guess we just aren't communicating effectively here.

First of all, bloghole is an inspired put down, good work.

I do have my moments

Secondly, yeah, I was reading all this stuff about parts of the album sounding like AM not sure I hear that at all. But I think I remember reading a Tweedy quote along the lines of "every album I ever make, no matter what, is going to be called alt-country by someone."

Didn't Elvis Costello say writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

Why should I trust the opinion of some dillweed posting an internet blog who probably has no familiarity with the band at all and probably hasn't really even heard the record?

All bloggers and journalists are looking to score style points, not make congent, intelligent observations.

That's why I love this board...people have honest opinions.

I was reading all this stuff about parts of the album sounding like AM not sure I hear that at all. But I think I remember reading a Tweedy quote along the lines of "every album I ever make, no matter what, is going to be called alt-country by someone."

Don't kill me for saying this but I thought Open Mind sounded like a return to A.M. When I first saw the video of Tweedy playing the song solo, I loved it and couldn't wait to hear how it would be with the band. It has a kinda alt-country twang to it that I wasn't expecting.

Don't kill me for saying this but I thought Open Mind sounded like a return to A.M. When I first saw the video of Tweedy playing the song solo, I loved it and couldn't wait to hear how it would be with the band. It has a kinda alt-country twang to it that I wasn't expecting.

I hear what you mean on that cut, I can hear that on Black Moon a bit too. I think I was railing against reading One Sunday Morning and Capitol City were AM-ish cuts at one point, I should have been more clear.

--Mike

Agree about the headphones. I am so much more into it now that I'm listening with them and I agree about One Sunday Morning too. That is one beautiful and heartbreaking song. I love the way Tweedy's voice sounds on this song. I can't put my finger on what it is but there is a quality to it that is just so touching.

agree about Jeffs voice,

What does it for me is how well all the layers fit together. WTA had a lot of pretty little flourishes here and there but on this record they seem more, purposeful? This one creates a distinct atmosphere around some great tunes! Excited to take another listen with a couple beers tonight.

Do you ever communicate effectively?

Probably not. If I were an effective communicator, I would probably call you an asshole.

But, as I am not, I will simply note that you were not a part of the conversation and I am wondering why you feel the need to interject yourself into said convesation.

this is the record this lineup was destined to make. All the pieces fit together, it is a classic.

they should be really proud.

The band functions as an orchestra around some cool songs that will take me a long time to figure out, time I am looking forward to spending.

We dont have to compare everything to other things. This is its own record with its own sound.

After my third listen, I'm beginning to believe that Wilco really made a Yo La Tengo record, and it sounds awesome. You can hear the blistering guitar solos, the great melodies, and even the abundant organ. I know someone posted a link to Spin beforehand that compared One Sunday Morning to Night Falls On Hoboken, and it kind of makes sense. I always had the Yo La Tengo theory after seeing the tracklisting and remembering they had toured together and even did Hanukkah together (kind of).

Capitol City and Standing O don't sound awful; they sound like good pop songs. This feels like an expansion of the musical depth they mined in Deeper Down with the lush and orchestral details.

I haven't found a dull moment. I wouldn't go as far as to say album of the year, but it's definitely a pretty good and strong contender for top 10.