Streaming "The Whole Love"

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of Yo La Tengo while listening as well.

I think it's more of a "classic rock" record than Yo La Tengo would do. But it does remind me of Yo La in the sense that it has a very leisurely pace and spacey ambience, as well as some beautifully atonal guitar work -- and the obligatory 14-minute song.

In addition to jumping on the bandwagon of praise for this album, I would also like to say that the people talking smack about "You and I" and especially "The Late Greats"... actually, I have nothing to say to those people. They are dead to me.

Just kidding, we're all friends here, I hope. I just don't understand how people considering themselves Wilco fans would come on a Wilco fansite and say that certain Wilco songs are "shite" or unlistenable. You're entitled to your opinion but when you express it in such an extreme fashion it just sounds like trolling even if that's not the intent.

Agree about the headphones. I am so much more into it now that I'm listening with them and I agree about One Sunday Morning too. That is one beautiful and heartbreaking song. I love the way Tweedy's voice sounds on this song. I can't put my finger on what it is but there is a quality to it that is just so touching.

It sounds like he whispered it into a microphone that was very close (like right up on) his mouth. Makes it sound like he's really close and whispering to you, thus the "intimate" quality. It also has a odd frequency response (read: kinda lofi quality)

There might be a reason for the YLT influence: they did that really cool show at a baseball diamond with YLT. One Sunday Morning is very YLT-esque: super long, mellow upbeat acoustic jam, whispered vocals, keys

In addition to jumping on the bandwagon of praise for this album, I would also like to say that the people talking smack about "You and I" and especially "The Late Greats"... actually, I have nothing to say to those people. They are dead to me.

Just kidding, we're all friends here, I hope. I just don't understand how people considering themselves Wilco fans would come on a Wilco fansite and say that certain Wilco songs are "shite" or unlistenable. You're entitled to your opinion but when you express it in such an extreme fashion it just sounds like trolling even if that's not the intent.

I made a comment about The Late Greats being barely tolerable and I'm certainly not a troll. Wilco's music covers a lot of ground and everywhere that they venture isn't always for me. That's all. Can we still be friends?

I've made up my mind I won't like any new threads as much as the old ones, no matter what goes on them.

quite simply, the new threads sometimes remind me of the old threads, although less and less lately. i'll always hold the new threads to the old thread standard of excellence, even if that means excluding new thread possibilities and new directions.

meet the new thread

same as the old thread

So, you want to be the typing accuracy policeman? Or the Spelling Policeman?

Really?

Yeah, I can see the YLT-ish qualities of the record. It has a nice contrast of really pretty stuff, some rockers, it's well layered. My hope was that this one would be kind of a sprawling record like YLT's I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass, featuring everything this lineup can do well. So far, so good.

I feel a lot of Jay Bennett's spirit here too. Pat and Mike came up with some positively inspired keyboard layers, and some of Jeff's melodies have a Tweedy/Bennett-ish vibe to them. I don't want to deride the guys in the band now, there all super talented, they deserve all the credit for making the best record of this lineup's. But it'll always, always be a plus for me when I start thinking of Jay Bennett on a Wilco record.

--Mike

CAN WE GIVE SOME FUGGING PROPS TO MIKAEL JORGENSEN!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to compliment the fantastic piano playing on One Sunday Morning but most of the keyboard/piano lines throughout the record I have no clue if they're Mikael or Pat!

Just got through first listen. I can rarely make extreme statements, good or bad, on a record after one listen and that is the case with TWL as well but i will say that i have a feeing i am going to really love this thing 10 listens from now ( if not sooner.) Not one song where it like, ugh, this sucks and more than half the thing i really liked right away.

This is really what i was expecting out of this line up with WTA but didn't get. I remember the first couple wta listens, expecting something great and wondering why it wasnt there. Not this time.

Agree with all the points made prior, John is off the hook and the keyboard playing is as good as it's been since Jay left. Bring on merriweather post in 3 weeks.

I'm so intrigued with the idea that your brain processes familiar things very differently than new things... while listening to TWL, my brain kept trying to fit each song into an existing category (oh, this part sounds like Nick Drake, the Beatles, Cheap Trick, the Pixies, even America..) but as I listened I knew that soon those shallow new handprints will push down deeper, creating their own space in my brain --without the comparisons -- and reveal their own whorl-y fingerprints and love-lines and life-lines...

As others have said here, thank you, Wilco! This record is a gem.

CAN WE GIVE SOME FUGGING PROPS TO MIKAEL JORGENSEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Props to Mike.

Can we give props to Pat for some excellent production work?

A 1st attempt at 'Sunday Morning' lyrics:

Bring ‘em cold for my father

Frozen underground

Jesus, I wouldn’t bother

He belongs to me now

I hear this as "I am cold for my father..."

This is how I tell it, oh but it’s long

One Sunday morning, one sun is gone

and I wonder if that last line is, "One son is gone"

I can't stop listening to this song. Tweedy would've made a great actor (but I'm grateful he chose music!) because of his ability to inhabit the characters he writes into life. This man feels so immediate and real. The song is achingly powerful.

Relax. I just thought it was kind of funny how while defending your ability to communicate, you made a typo. Just pointing out the irony. Go back to enjoying the stream.

Actually, I have really bad hands. So typos are somewhat commonplace. Therefore I am just a tad sensitive about them.

Sort of disappointed in "Open Mind"; loved the solo version that's been floating around. Was hoping for some sort of "Patient With Me" treatment or something; I shouldn't be making expectations, but considering the amazing acoustic arrangements on songs like "Black Moon", "Rising Red Lung", and "One Sunday Morning", I'm surprised they went with the sort of SBS/W(TA) autopilot arrangement for this song.

A minor complaint though. Everything else is just gold.