Streaming "The Whole Love"

"One Sunday Morning", I don't know what words to use to describe how incredibly soulful this song is, and how this song just washes over me like a warm bath. Maybe those are the words. Thank you Wilco for rockin my world again.

I just got out of a nice warm bath and was listening to One Sunday Morning. Your description IS perfect!

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stop listening to One Sunday Morning.

I have not paid attention to the lyrics yet, but the sound is so peaceful and soothing, both the music and also Jeff's voice. This song is by far the standout track for me. The rest ain't too shabby either. ;) But this one song seems to stand head and shoulders above the rest for me. I do think this song will become one of my all time favorite Wilco songs.

Ditto to all of that. What a freaking great song.

Woke up this morning and had to plead with my wife to get the hell off the computer so I could have one last listen since I assume it will be disappearing soon. Just hoping I can get to One Sunday morning one more time this fine Sunday morning.

Back on page 10 of this thread, Knotgreen did. They seem pretty accurate. I love the line "Outside I look lived in".

There's more verses than the ones Knotgreen grabbed. I have started to get a nebulous idea about the songs meaning, but I need to hear it more/ read the other verses.

I will have a smile on my face for the next three weeks! Xmas came early boy and girls. TY so much for the outstanding work on this Album I have to be honest and admit I was losing faith in my favorite band after the last two...this is just such a beautiful album.

As Bob used to sing -

One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain [repeat]

So hit me with music, hit me with music

Hit me with music, hit me with music now

...this is the sound of musicians in complete command of their art. Beautiful, lush and forward.

Several listens in, this is exactly how I feel.

One Sunday Morning is so pretty it makes my heart hurt.

Yes, and I can't stop listening to it. Jeff has never sounded better.

I will not direct you to go back and read this whole thing, so I'm bumping this, offer still stands.

I have a link, feel free either e-mail (mpolak21@gmail), PM, or Facebook.com/mpolak21, whichever is your preference, and I'll take care of you.

--Mike

Guest kechefs

This album is by far my favorite Wilco album named the Whole Love! I think from now on my Sunday coffe will be consumed listening to One Sunday Morning cannot wait to see Jeff do this song solo.

Really digging a lot of these songs. Bummer it's going away for three weeks. Still streaming at the moment, however. When it stops, I will preorder. Maybe vinyl. Kudos, Wilco. You win again. THIS time!

I don't really post here often, but I had to comment(as I listen to the stream for the fourth and likely final time) just to say how much this new stuff from the band has truly impressed me. I only recently caught on to Wilco around the time that Sky Blue Sky was released(followed rapidly by everything else once I realized how awesome they were), but right away as compared to SBS and Wilco(The Album) this both represents a return to form for them as well as just another expansion in what they're capable of. Plus this material is immediately stronger where with previous efforts it took time to eventually accept songs that were on the weak side.

It approaches different styles sort of in the way that WTA did, but in a better way and with more cohesiveness than the Whitman's sampler effort that WTA contained. They have their merits, but the moment I heard songs like "Art of Almost" in full and "One Sunday Morning" it immediately felt different. I mean I love their mellow side as a group(SBS will always hold a sentimental place because it was their first album I really got into on my way to being a big fan), but The Whole Love contains the kind of nuance and variation that was present on Ghost and YHF and made them so incredible as a unique band in the first place. Now whether it's better or worse than those is a matter of opinion, but I think rather than make painstaking comparisons it's better to think of it as a return to form and a step along in another new direction that makes us lucky to be fans because we get to see it happen. At this point I look forward to hearing the bonus tracks and what other creative thoughts were swimming around as they were creating this.

Also, in terms of the web stream I hate bringing up that whole alleged PM business, but it seems hard not to hear this great stuff for weeks just as I'm truly getting into it, so if nobody minds at all.... Either way I look forward to the 27th and the day my pre-order hits my doorstep so I can hear it on vinyl proper!

Didn't Elvis Costello say writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

I quit my college newspaper in a pretentious tizzy, and by that I mean I passive aggressively stopped taking assignments from the editor, because they didn't call my music column "Dancing About Architecture" as I requested. They went with "Mike's Music," which even though I am five years wiser and more mature than I was as a collegiate, I'd still quit if they called it that.

Listening to TWL again, only way Nels solo on Art of Almost would be better is if there's a "I buried Paul" ish comment buried in the mix of him saying "I got your 'weather channel guitar solo' right here" before he starts going off.

--Mike

Ok. So I'm thinking a lot of things about TWL that I will not repeat here (I did it in French it was long).

Anyway, at the end of the day, I made a playlist of songs from around AGIB era that didn't deserved to be on an album at the time (sort of). I know I'm living in the past and that you all made some sort of those playlist before but:

1. Panthers
  2. A Magazine Called Sunset
  3. This Is New
  4. Bob Dylan's 49th Beard
  5. What Good Am I
  6. Diamond Claw
  7. Kicking Television
  8. The High Heat
  9. More like the Moon

I'd be happy if TWL was half as good as this fantasy land "album"

If you're still looking for a downloadable copy of the stream, here's some friendly advice. Those us who have it naturally got inundated with requests. It is pretty easy though going through a line of ten e-mails or ten PM's and just copy and pasting. It's more efficient than reading through a thread looking for every "PM me please" post. So, the fastest way to get it is to just track the thread for the people that said, "I have a copy" and go to them.

Hope this doesn't come as some stodgy asshole lecture just trying to make everyone's life a little easier.

--Mike

So I've had several listens and the thing is starting to settle (just a bit). I don't love this album but I am definitely infatuated with it. Whether the infatuation will lead to love only time will tell.

One observation (concern?) is that every Wilco record until W(TA) broke new ground. Sometimes in an absolute sense (most notably YHF) but always in an internal sense as in braking new ground for Wilco. W(TA) fell short for several reasons, and this is one of them. TWL largely (though not wholly) falls into this category as well. The exception is AoA, which moves them into electronica, which we haven't seen on an lp (although on a bside we had unlikely japan). But then the record falls back on familiar ground after the opener.

Which is not to say that the familiar ground is bad. this time out is of a higher quality songwriting and production that last time. And it is leagues more cohesive. I think it may be that that want to explore what they know they're good at, stop being a fox and start being a hedgehog so to speak.

As has been stated in a previous post, the musicianship is outstanding and their level of cooperation has deepened. I've never been a big Pat fan but, if while he's wearing that producer hat he's responsible for this then i'll have to revise my opinion of him (and hope he doesn't showboat enough to make me revise it back)

I quit my college newspaper in a pretentious tizzy, and by that I mean I passive aggressively stopped taking assignments from the editor, because they didn't call my music column "Dancing About Architecture" as I requested. They went with "Mike's Music," which even though I am five years wiser and more mature than I was as a collegiate, I'd still quit if they called it that.

--Mike

Damn, if the editor is there send me his email and i'll write him a nasty letter. Dancing about architecture is a great name for a music column. He should still be there, because he doesn't deserve to graduate from journalism school.

So I missed out listening the album, but people are already (as expected) putting it up on Pirate Bay. Yes, I downloaded it, but not really sure if this was a good move as far as ethics go.

I've already bought the album twice (both prices over the initial price [special edition CD and Vinyl LP]), if that counts for anything.

P.S. I'm loving this album!

I've given it several listens and find it very good. Dear reader might realize that "very good" is faint praise for Wilco, however. And on my final listen, as loud background music during a run, I realized what the problem is: The music is fantastic, no doubt. I'm reminded that Tweedy mentioned they had enough music for an irreverent pop record and a bunch of experimental stuff, or something to that effect. It seems that Art of Almost came from that experimental batch - and I really, really love that song. But the rest of the album comes form the irreverent pop side - really good, solid songs with interesting layers but not really pushing the envelope.

I should add that there really are some great moments, including a bunch of stuff that brings out Tweedy's inner Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney. I wish there was more that pulled out his inner Syd Barrett.