Streaming "The Whole Love"

yea it is encoded into the music I believe.

You can only hear up to 20k, but I believe cds are capable of carrying info up to something way higher, so they can put digital codes that be read at like 50khz.

I think that is how they do it, although there are ways to get around this too.

2nd point (reason I came here to post)

I can't believe some people are unhappy with some of these tunes. This record is a monster! Open mind, standing O, Dawned on me, and the other couple of songs that are getting mentioned are killer tunes!

The melody in open mind? beautiful! It is such a great, direct song. There is a place for nice folk tunes, and that one is just great.

I totally agree. I keep looking for faults in all of these songs people are saying are of lesser quality. I can't find any. I'm totally surprised and satisfied by this album. I've fallen in love all over again. I just posted to say it dawned on me.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i have a confession to make: I have had access to an advance copy of the album for close to a month now. It has been extraordinarily difficult to not post about it when everybody was speculating about the album, and i feel as though i can finally share my thoughts from the perspective of somebody who has had time to have the album grow on them.

First of all, I have to agree with the sentiment that TWL is easily the best album that Wilco has made with their current lineup. I feel as though that whereas SBS and WTA sounded like six guys in a studio playing together, even the simpler songs on this album feel a little bit more harder to pin down. There are way more subtleties to the songs that took many many many listens to discover, and i think that has been one of the most rewarding things about the album. Lyrically, i think i was worried about how the album would turn out, but i think there are some very memorable Tweedy lyrics on the album.

I can guarantee that lot of the tracks that people aren't crazy about right now are huge growers, especially Black Moon. I always thought it sounded sort of like "Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but that might just be me. But this was probably the most forgettable song on the album the first couple of listens through. However, the string arrangement is absolutely gorgeous, and the production on that track is really something special. I think it's sort of funny how it starts off almost sounding like Black Eye too, even if just for a few seconds (starts on the same A minor chord). I could also tell that Capital City would be sort of divisive, but it has been one of my favorite TWL tracks from the first listen. It's lighthearted, jaunty, has some great chord changes and progressions. Just a feel good song overall.

One last thing i have to say is that I have listened to One Sunday Morning at least once a day for the 3 or 4 weeks i've had access to the album. I honestly think it's one of the most sincere, beautiful songs Jeff Tweedy has ever written and Wilco has ever recorded. I've been playing it nonstop on my guitar, and it is just so simple and beautiful in that classic Wilco way.

Even after a whole month of whole love, in my opinion this is one of the strongest Wilco efforts in a while, and i think that it has the potential to be as classic, memorable, and groundbreaking of a Wilco album as YHF, AGIB (still can't say for sure if it will be, but can't rule it out either)

How much better does the album sound on the cd compared to the stream from their website. It sounds pretty good for 128 kbps so I can't imagine how good the real thing sounds.

There is a webrip floating around if you really want to hear it, but it's not the best quality. If you listen to the Official release of I might and the webrip you'll notice a huge fidelity downgrade...still having it in my IPod/Car has definitely been nice. Can't wait for the real thing and the bonus tracks.

Thanks for the thought. I'd been planning on trying to avoid the album until the official release, knowing that I was doomed to failure. But it looks like fate has stepped in and lent a hand. If the stream returns at some point, I'm sure I'll cave. Otherwise, I'll see if I can hold out. It appears I am going to spend the evening listening to "One Sunday Morning" though.

I'm telling you, play "I might" and you'll see hear the difference instantly. The 128 rip is extremely muted. There are tracks where I can hear the backing instruments, but they are very shallow.

When we finally get a proper rip, those details will really pop.

i just did comparison between the 128 rip and FLAC version, via headphones.

not all that much of a difference, to be honest. the FLAC version was a bit fuller, for sure. but it wasn't black and white to me.

i just did comparison between the 128 rip and FLAC version, via headphones.

not all that much of a difference, to be honest. the FLAC version was a bit fuller, for sure. but it wasn't black and white to me.

Don't even say "FLAC" before Sep 27, man.

Do you think Wilco phoned in (TA) just to fulfill their obligations to Nonesuch? Either on purpose or subconsciously?

No.

I think they had some ideas for a new record; went to New Zealand for the benenfit show; found themselves in a nice studio; worked with a producer they were comfortable with and had worked with before (but not as a producer); and basically cut a record without two of their key members ( who did overdubs ).

I think W(TA) was simply not quite planned as well as it could have been.

So i have a confession to make: I have had access to an advance copy of the album for close to a month now. It has been extraordinarily difficult to not post about it when everybody was speculating about the album, and i feel as though i can finally share my thoughts from the perspective of somebody who has had time to have the album grow on them.

I have another confession to make. I knew that you did. I recognized your name on Last.FM.

You're lucky that I didn't rat you out.

Also, has anyone ever tried Drop Box? My best friend and I just set it up for file sharing. Extremely easy and safe to use.

STILL LOVE The Whole Love! Edit: Also, just played this for above best friend and he only wanted to hear the 1st 4 tracks and head off home. I knew that he'd end up staying for the whole thing. He also loved every track.

P.S. Oh, and some of you should check your inbox for PMs from me. I randomly sent out the link to folks on here and I think some of you haven't opened it up yet. That's fine if you don't want a web rip.

Yeah, my buddy turned me onto drop box. I asked on Friday for him to rip it for me and spent 7 hours saturday waiting before i got an email to check my drop box and there it was, simple as that. Good system and good friend.....and good rip, I think it sounds great.

I posted many pages back after my first listen that i liked it but wasn't ready jump to conclusions but after 6 or 7 listens I'm ready to jump, this record is a monster and belongs with the Bennett era records. I like everything this band has done but have have felt that nothing compares to BT, ST and YHF in songwriting quality, arrangment and production and every subsequent release has confirmed this to me. On all of those records, there's always a song or twomi didn't care for and never warmed up to. TWL? Love em all.

I am a litte worried that it may be a quick burn but i don't think so. My feeling with bands i like is that you cant really judge a record until the next one is out to get some perspective but i have feeling that this is going to stand up as a classic. To that last point, took a break from twl and gave wta a spin and i liked it a lot more than i have in the past, go figure.

With all the worthy love AoA and Sunday morning are rightfully getting, wanted to give some love to a couple of my favorites; Sunloathe, wow, just an incredible, perfectly executed pop song. Capitol city, read some bashing of this as well but this is another gem that for me, along with randy newman reminds me of van dyke parks' song cycle along with the obvious beach boys and beatles influence. This song is so well produced and arranged. I think wilco is the only band going that can pull off songs like these, with their obvious influences snd still make them sound like you are hearing something fresh. Standing O ( Saturday nights alright for wilco), aside from the blatant balsy rip of Elton John, you wonder if they came up with the riff and someone said, this is a rip off of Elton john and someone else said, "fuck yeah it is" and just went with it. This may be the song that will burn the easiest but it will be a blast live.

Thats all i got. If you haven't heard this yet, what are you waiting for? The 27th i just some artificial date created for buzz and marketing; life is short, listen to wilco.

This album is definitely on par with YHF and AGIB. I remember Jeff talking about SBS before it was released and I imagined it sounding exactly like this. I've listened to the album once and can tell that it's going to be one of those classic albums that goes through life's changes with you for a while.

I have another confession to make. I knew that you did. I recognized your name on Last.FM.

You're lucky that I didn't rat you out.

Haha, thanks ;)

And I'll work on a One Sunday Morning tab if i have time (classes start for me tomorrow). One interesting thing is it seems like a lot of songs have Tweedy playing with his guitar tuned a Whole step down. One Sunday Morning is definitely played this way, and it's possible I Might is also played in this tuning (not 100% sure). Rising Red Lung and Dawned on Me are both in drop C. Just an interesting tidbit i've noticed, and the reason why my guitar has been tuned down 2 semitones for the last two weeks.

I've kicked this idea around in a few PM's and wanted to share it here. I'm sure at some point during this weekend some if not all of the Wilcos probably checked the Internet to see what the buzz was on their new record. Now, the general consesus on The Whole Love has been very strong. I haven't seen anyone totally evisacrate it. Even our old friend and passionate new Wilco hater, Essox, hasn't rallied against it. But, and this where the Wilcos actually reading it comes in, how do they take reading to the back-handed compiments. Cause, I am sure they love seeing something like "The Whole Love is fantastic!!!" but how many times have we seen that followed by, "it's so much better than Wilco The Album, that record blew." How would you react to that? 

Now, look, I'm not criticizing anyone's opinion, positive or negative on any of their releases. Say whatever you want. Even if the band actually does read every word on the web, it's still your right say what you're gonna say. And I don't really think Internet comments really irk the band one way or the other, though Tweedy did bring up a VC criticism of WTA's production in an interview two years ago. But it was just something I thought of reading early reactions. The "back patting into upside the head smack" review. And if I were in

the band, I don't think I could handle reading anything on the internet about myself. But you know, I'm sensitive. 

It's so much fun being here for a new album everybody (give or take) likes again.

--Mike

In general I'm much more into the Americana Wilco than the art-rock Wilco, but when Art of Almost reaches that point where it takes flight, it makes me want to leap up and punch the air. Haven't felt that about any Wilco track before. Usually, the extreme emotions have been of the wistful sweet sadness variety.

I've kicked this idea around in a few PM's and wanted to share it here. I'm sure at some point during this weekend some if not all of the Wilcos probably checked the Internet to see what the buzz was on their new record. Now, the general consesus on The Whole Love has been very strong. I haven't seen anyone totally evisacrate it. Even our old friend and passionate new Wilco hater, Essox, hasn't rallied against it. But, and this where the Wilcos actually reading it comes in, how do they take reading to the back-handed compiments. Cause, I am sure they love seeing something like "The Whole Love is fantastic!!!" but how many times have we seen that followed by, "it's so much better than Wilco The Album, that record blew." How would you react to that?

Now, look, I'm not criticizing anyone's opinion, positive or negative on any of their releases. Say whatever you want. Even if the band actually does read every word on the web, it's still your right say what you're gonna say. And I don't really think Internet comments really irk the band one way or the other, though Tweedy did bring up a VC criticism of WTA's production in an interview two years ago. But it was just something I thought of reading early reactions. The "back patting into upside the head smack" review. And if I were in

the band, I don't think I could handle reading anything on the internet about myself. But you know, I'm sensitive.

It's so much fun being here for a new album everybody (give or take) likes again.

--Mike

I feel ya Mike. I'm just happy this board has some positive juice over the anticipation of this release. I have to admit, my viachicago lurking/posting has definitely declined over the years, but I've been on daily ever since my awesome Solid Sound weekend.

I feel like I really know so many of you from the 2004-2007 period, though I've only met a few in person. Having the board back in my life makes me almost as happy as having these tunes.....

......Almost!

Finally got to listen to this without distractions, except for the infrequent train rumble. Opening and closing tracks rival their best work.

Can't wait to listen to the vinyl with the Senn 650s. I may have to clean up after that.

--Mike

I see your point, and it's certainly more interesting to hear views on the new record rather than the warmed-over comments from the last one. It's pretty clear that W(TA) hasn't held up very well for most folks here, including myself. The comparisons are inevitable.

If the guys in the band check in here, I must say I'm honored, although somewhat disappointed in my perceptions of the rock star lifestyle. But who knows? Maybe internet message boards are the new marketing focus groups?