Streaming "The Whole Love"

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've kicked this idea around in a few PM's and wanted to share it here. I'm sure at some point during this weekend some if not all of the Wilcos probably checked the Internet to see what the buzz was on their new record. Now, the general consesus on The Whole Love has been very strong. I haven't seen anyone totally evisacrate it. Even our old friend and passionate new Wilco hater, Essox, hasn't rallied against it. But, and this where the Wilcos actually reading it comes in, how do they take reading to the back-handed compiments. Cause, I am sure they love seeing something like "The Whole Love is fantastic!!!" but how many times have we seen that followed by, "it's so much better than Wilco The Album, that record blew." How would you react to that?

Now, look, I'm not criticizing anyone's opinion, positive or negative on any of their releases. Say whatever you want. Even if the band actually does read every word on the web, it's still your right say what you're gonna say. And I don't really think Internet comments really irk the band one way or the other, though Tweedy did bring up a VC criticism of WTA's production in an interview two years ago. But it was just something I thought of reading early reactions. The "back patting into upside the head smack" review. And if I were in

the band, I don't think I could handle reading anything on the internet about myself. But you know, I'm sensitive.

It's so much fun being here for a new album everybody (give or take) likes again.

--Mike

I think there was a link to share your thoughts on the stream by way of Twitter. I'd say Twitter and Facebook are where comments were tracked.

If the guys in the band check in here, I must say I'm honored, although somewhat disappointed in my perceptions of the rock star lifestyle.

If it makes you feel any better they snort a bunch of coke off a groupie's tits right afterwards.

This is the first Wilco record I've liked since AGIB, but it would have been a better album if they'd left out Open Mind (which has the stink of SBS all over it.)

I think there was a link to share your thoughts on the stream by way of Twitter. I'd say Twitter and Facebook are where comments were tracked.

Yeah...I imagine this place is such a cluster-f**k at times that it is not exactly viewed as being really representative of...well...anything.

Step away from my computer for the weekend to spend time with my family and see what happens? I miss the stream! Oh well, I had a great weekend,

Anyone record it and would be willing to send me a PM? (EDIT: Never mind. Found it. listening now)

Edited by jcroach

I only listened to the weekend stream once.

LOVED tracks 1 and 2. Really phenomenal and impressive stuff by the band. And I really want to hear track 12 again. Has a very nice vibe.

The rest I'm not sure.

Some of Jeff's lyrics and high-pitched, soulful vocal stylings at times sounded a bit too precious (Sunloathe for example), but most of Whole Love sounded exciting musically. Sounds like a record that will reveal good things on multiple listens. Dawned On Me and Born Alone sounded like okay pop, maybe nothing more.

I see your point, and it's certainly more interesting to hear views on the new record rather than the warmed-over comments from the last one. It's pretty clear that W(TA) hasn't held up very well for most folks here, including myself. The comparisons are inevitable.

If the guys in the band check in here, I must say I'm honored, although somewhat disappointed in my perceptions of the rock star lifestyle. But who knows? Maybe internet message boards are the new marketing focus groups?

Did you see Ashes of American Flags?

I've listened a few times now and it seems that i like the album more with subsequent listens (much like I Might). I loved Art of Almost (great show opener IMO), Dawned on Me, Rising Red Lung, Black Moon, and Born Alone. There aren't really any songs I just didn't care for except maybe Sunloathe (the jury is still out). I think that lyrically TWL is fairly abstract, but I need to go back and really focus on the words to be sure. Overall, very solid record I think. I can't wait to see Tweedy and Co. step out on the stage at the Ryman in Oct! :banana :thumbup

Yep, I agree with you A-Man.

Here's a Facebook quote from Wilco earlier today:

Wilco

Thanks, everyone. 80,000 of you streamed "The Whole Love" this weekend and we really do appreciate you stopping in.

That's a pretty awesome play count!

I feel like I really know so many of you from the 2004-2007 period, though I've only met a few in person. Having the board back in my life makes me almost as happy as having these tunes.....

I was happy to see your screen name again! :wave

I couldn't agree more. On an album of breathtaking elegance, One Sunday Morning already stands out as a Wilco classic.

Several days later, and I still can't get enough of this song. Last night I made my wife sit down, put away her iPhone and had her listen through the stereo while she read the lyrics someone posted here. This morning on the train I ran into a friend and took his iPod out of his hands and gave him mine and made him listen to this on our way into work. Of course, both were blown away by the tune. One Sunday Morning isn't just a "Wilco classic", it's an "all-time classic."

I love it. I won't compare it to their past stuff because it's, frankly, pointless. I'm just happy to have another cathartic record in the stable of a band that I adore.

But I will say that as a bass player, and ESPECIALLY as a bass player that doesn't have a real job and counts touring with his band as his only income, this record scares the daylights out of me. John kind of makes it pointless as hell for the rest of us to even try.