Streaming "The Whole Love"

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yahoo! is the new leader in the backhanded compliment clubhouse, their headline for the Whole Love review: It Sounds Like Wilco Might Be A Good Band Again. Understandable given the band's noted pro-Google and stretching back "Lycos, go get it" stances.

--Mike

I think there are 3 weak tracks: black moon, standing o, and rising red lung. The rest is solid.

Definitely give Black Moon and especially Rising Red Lung some more time. They are definitely not the most immediate, but they are absolutely great and definitely hold their own once you know what to look for in them.

Standing O is... I don't know. I'm beginning to like it, though.

"Standing O" reminds me a lot of "I'm a Wheel" -- a fun, simple tune that will work well in a live setting. Some would call that a throwaway, but I don't mind it at all.

I don't remember what it sounds like (haven't listened since the stream) but I remember a tune that reminded me of Candy Floss near the end of the album. I remember liking it a lot.. Maybe it was Standing O.

I don't remember what it sounds like (haven't listened since the stream) but I remember a tune that reminded me of Candy Floss near the end of the album. I remember liking it a lot.. Maybe it was Standing O.

Capitol City's the one you're thinking of.

Though the middle of the album (Born Alone until Standing O) is noticably weaker, I'm still very relieved to hear the whole record turned out infinitely better than I expected. I never could have dreamed it'd be on par with Sky Blue Sky.

I can guarantee that lot of the tracks that people aren't crazy about right now are huge growers, especially Black Moon. I always thought it sounded sort of like "Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but that might just be me. But this was probably the most forgettable song on the album the first couple of listens through. However, the string arrangement is absolutely gorgeous, and the production on that track is really something special. I think it's sort of funny how it starts off almost sounding like Black Eye too, even if just for a few seconds (starts on the same A minor chord).

I knew I wasn't the only one hearing a hint of a glimpse of Black Eye (the Sunken Treasure version, that is). For me, Black Moon was an instant love but I can see why it wouldn't be for some people. I'm really hoping I can get into Born Alone and Open Your Mind, but I'm not optimistic.

John really does shine on this record. He just wasn't scared.

I've been reading this, and I just don't catch the reference.

Why are so many people saying I'll give my final opinion when I've heard the album at a 'higher-bitrate-than-the-webstream'

You've heard the songs, right? That's the SONGS.

If you don't like them now, they won't get any better.

In my opinion, the muse is starting to leave Jeff. I like much of this album but overall the songs (for the most part) are not (quite) what he turned out in his troubled years. The TREATMENT of the songs is as creative as ever. But does dressing them up with imaginative soundscapes not just disguise the fact that some of the songs per se are not that great?

Why are so many people saying I'll give my final opinion when I've heard the album at a 'higher-bitrate-than-the-webstream'

You've heard the songs, right? That's the SONGS.

If you don't like them now, they won't get any better.

In my opinion, the muse is starting to leave Jeff. I like much of this album but overall the songs (for the most part) are not (quite) what he turned out in his troubled years. The TREATMENT of the songs is as creative as ever. But does dressing them up with imaginative soundscapes not just disguise the fact that some of the songs per se are not that great?

Some of the songs are great.

I agree--The Whole Love has some of the bands finest moments: Art of Almost, I Might, Whole Love, One Sunday Morning. And the record at large is really damn good, on par with AGIB or Summerteeth. Yes, Jeff might not be writing songs that are driven by addiction, pain, existential whatevers, etc, but the songs--at least this time around--are just as strong.

I agree--The Whole Love has some of the bands finest moments: Art of Almost, I Might, Whole Love, One Sunday Morning. And the record at large is really damn good, on par with AGIB or Summerteeth. Yes, Jeff might not be writing songs that are driven by addiction, pain, existential whatevers, etc, but the songs--at least this time around--are just as strong.

I agree as well. It seems that whenever formerly troubled artists begin to mature and start writing up-tempo, major key songs that don't necessarily dwell on the darker side of life...a certain segment of people interprets this as the artist losing their greatness. Others find happier songs to be just as good. Any artist who hangs around long enough is bound to have peaks and valleys. Imagine if there had been a Dylan board in between the release of Blonde On Blonde and Blood On The Tracks?

All of this album sounds great to me. I'm loving where this band is going right now, and happy to follow where they lead.

what a decent album.... but just think of how good it would be if Jeff relasped ( sarcasm) in a related thought I wish Dylan would go thru another painful divorce (sarcasm)

Sarcasm off .... I love this album and consider it one of thier best

what a decent album.... but just think of how good it would be if Jeff relasped ( sarcasm) in a related thought I wish Dylan would go thru another painful divorce (sarcasm)

Sarcasm off .... I love this album and consider it one of thier best

You made me smile there.

But, there actually was a post on this board a before W(TA) came out that lamented the fact that Jeff was sober because he was writing wimpy songs.

I am still flabbergasted.

You made me smile there.

But, there actually was a post on this board a before W(TA) came out that lamented the fact that Jeff was sober because he was writing wimpy songs.

I am still flabbergasted.

Yea I am aware of a sentiment of some that thinks only tortured souls (IE Jeff prior to getting clean can make great art) Its like saying I remember friends of mine who were addicts and man they were alot more fun when they were effed up ... man I wish they would just decend into the abyss again .. it would be so fun and entertaining

I agree too. There's so much joy & love & redemption & triumph going on in this album. What a tonic for our troubled times! Pain doesn't make greatness.

This sums it up for me.

I've been a fan since the beginning, and I think this might be their best album yet. Big words perhaps, but I can't stop listening to the copy I got from a kind soul on this forum (don't worry, I've had the vinyl pre-ordered for months). It gets better with each listen.

With no disrespect intended toward former members, this is absolutely the strongest lineup the band's ever had. As others have pointed out, John's bass playing here is top notch, and the overall sounds/tones are fantastic.

I know music appreciation is subjective, but I'm honestly having a hard time understanding how anyone (especially a Wilco fan) could not see the greatness on this one.

I know the preceding statements will paint me as a bit of a fanboy, but I really don't care. It's a great record.

"I know the preceding statements will paint me as a bit of a fanboy, but I really don't care. It's a great record."

Lets see this is a fan site and being a fanboy is a bad thing? I am a fan Dad (old man) .. omg I like dad rock ... except I dont know what dad rock is

Yea I am aware of a sentiment of some that thinks only tortured souls (IE Jeff prior to getting clean can make great art) Its like saying I remember friends of mine who were addicts and man they were alot more fun when they were effed up ... man I wish they would just decend into the abyss again .. it would be so fun and entertaining

You know what? That's fine but it's the consumer that drives this not the artist. The consumer wants drama. The artist just wants to make a living doing something he loves to do.

You know what? That's fine but it's the consumer that drives this not the artist. The consumer wants drama. The artist just wants to make a living doing something he loves to do.

I myself dont want drama just great music and thats what TWL is to me