Streaming "The Whole Love"

Capitol City is the only one that I'm not diggin'. Everything else I've either liked immediately or has grown on me. Not that one though. I'm trying but...as much as I long a mve Wilco, that's just an awful song. It sounds to me like it could be part of a soundtrack for a Dudley Moore film or something. Ack. It's bad.

I thought it was a nice diversion. It took a lot of listens though. It kind of breaks things up, like a palate cleansing slice of lemon during a big dinner. It takes some of th intensity that leads up to and includes Open Mind, gives you a fresh start, and sorts you out for the intensity that is coming at the end. You can't sustain the intensity that starts with Art of Almost through a song like One Sunday Morning. The bizarre noises in the song, the fact the guy can't call with a subway token but it doesnt matter because the phones are all broken, brings on a great turn of the century , World Fair image. HArd to say why I like this, and since I have developed a huge love of this album I digress, but the album to me is like a puzzle and this song is a cool middle piece that ties stuff together.

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a nice diversion. It took a lot of listens though. It kind of breaks things up, like a palate cleansing slice of lemon during a big dinner. It takes some of th intensity that leads up to and includes Open Mind, gives you a fresh start, and sorts you out for the intensity that is coming at the end. You can't sustain the intensity that starts with Art of Almost through a song like One Sunday Morning. The bizarre noises in the song, the fact the guy can't call with a subway token but it doesnt matter because the phones are all broken, brings on a great turn of the century , World Fair image. HArd to say why I like this, and since I have developed a huge love of this album I digress, but the album to me is like a puzzle and this song is a cool middle piece that ties stuff together.

I agree. The song reminds me of John Dos Passos' USA trilogy, which is an awesome work of literature and a vivid snapshot of American life in the early 20th century. Tweedy's lyrics work the same kind of magic for me. And the music, while borderline twee, is actually really good. I think the song is like a Randy Newman song without the self-reverential and annoying aspects.

Plus I dig the way the guitar solo sounds like a clarinet

I instantly liked this song. It reminds me of something McCartney or Nillsson would have done in the late sixties.

Capitol City is the only one that I'm not diggin'. Everything else I've either liked immediately or has grown on me. Not that one though. I'm trying but...as much as I love Wilco, that's just an awful song. It sounds to me like it could be part of a soundtrack for a Dudley Moore film or something. Ack. It's bad.

It was my favorite on the first listen. Reminded me of Honey Pie from the White album and Walken from SBS.

Sorry if this was posted earlier, but doesn't the verse structure of Dawned on Me sound EXACTLY the same as Glad It's Over? It's almost as if they decided this alternative incarnation of the melody fits better.

I didn't mind Glad It's Over, but this is much better. So far.

Capitol City is the only one that I'm not diggin'. Everything else I've either liked immediately or has grown on me. Not that one though. I'm trying but...as much as I love Wilco, that's just an awful song. It sounds to me like it could be part of a soundtrack for a Dudley Moore film or something. Ack. It's bad.

you must use headphones for this one

Upon first read, I thought this said GFIY, meaning "go find it yourself."

:lol

But I suppose "Google is your friend" is a softer way of saying that.

It's a wonderful multi-purpose acronym -- "Google is your friend" is valid... as is "get it yourself, f*cker!" :)

(this coming from someone who was once scarred ages ago when he received his first RTFM response to a tech question and had to look that one up.)