Streaming "The Whole Love"

Only got to hear the first three sides. Before my stream kicked out. Loved what I heard, Capitol City is an early fav. Lot of great layers, strong songwriting. Nels and Glenn have rarely sounded better and the keyboard sounds are incorporated brilliantly. Somewhere Jay Bennett, cig in hand, smiles approvingly.

--Mike

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I didn't really have any expectations for what the new album would sound like, but I think this is pretty fantastic after the first listen. The only song that I didn't really connect with was Sunloathe. Art of Almost is an amazing opener and One Sunday Morning is kind of breathtaking. :wub

Black Moon sounds kinda like an updated version of Black Eye.

I've been listening to Open Mind from the video of the Strombo show and wondering what it would be like with the whole band. I was imagining something fuller but now I think I like the solo version better.

I think the record is better, to me, than SBS and W(TA). but for me, nothing will be better than the early lineup therefore Being There will ALWAYS be my favorite record.

That era, if you were a fan back then and saw them in concert, was a special time, you felt you were witnessing a band being on the cusp of accomplishing something great. it was a truly special time!!

edit: HAHA, perhaps i am living in the past....

Couldn't disagree more. I've been with them since the beginning, have seen all the incarnations. To my ears, Nothing beats this current lineup as a live band. Not even close. But I still love Being There!

On my second listen, and all I will say is I am a very happy Wilco fan today!

Just started listening, couldn't bring myself to skip I Might even though I was in a hurry to hear the other stuff. I wanted to hear it in the context of the entire album (or should I say the Whole album).

I really enjoyed catching up on all the previous posts and hearing peoples thoughts.

I have to say this album is just an immediate grabber, sounds so good. Wish it came out in May so I would have the whole summer to be driving aroung and listnening to it.

Whoa, Black Moon just started...

This is actually feeling stronger after a second listen. The highs aren't really overshadowing the middles and the lows are staggered around enough that they don't seem to drag the listening experience down. The only BAD songs here are "Open Mind" and "Standing O," which aren't awful so much as they are unfathomably plodding, predictable and dull. "Open Mind" especially feels like something Tweedy wrote on the can one day ("Okay, so I'll come up with some lyrics that literally anybody could have written and I'll play my favourite chords in the usual sequence...") and tossed onto the album because it sounds pleasant enough to jumble up the flow a bit.

"Open Mind" especially feels like something Tweedy wrote on the can one day ("Okay, so I'll come up with some lyrics that literally anybody could have written and I'll play my favourite chords in the usual sequence...") and tossed onto the album because it sounds pleasant enough to jumble up the flow a bit.

But hey, it's in 6/8!

This is actually feeling stronger after a second listen. The highs aren't really overshadowing the middles and the lows are staggered around enough that they don't seem to drag the listening experience down. The only BAD songs here are "Open Mind" and "Standing O," which aren't awful so much as they are unfathomably plodding, predictable and dull. "Open Mind" especially feels like something Tweedy wrote on the can one day ("Okay, so I'll come up with some lyrics that literally anybody could have written and I'll play my favourite chords in the usual sequence...") and tossed onto the album because it sounds pleasant enough to jumble up the flow a bit.

i love open mind :stunned