Streaming "The Whole Love"

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest McGuffin

Let's see if I can break it down track-by-track after one listen:

1. Art. Yup, it's the real deal and what we've all been waiting for since YHF. A winner and the best track on the LP.

2. I Might. Like it. It's grown on me.

3. Sunloathe. This is very SBS/WTA for me but with extra production and Harrison guitar, which spruce it up into something better.

4. Dawned on Me. Same vein as I Might. Not bad.

5. Black Moon. This is where things slow down for me, just as they did with SBS and WTA. It's a retread of the boring tracks on those two albums. Yawn.

6. Born Alone. It's a somewhat blah track until you figure in the guitar and the great descending outro. Die Alone?

7. Open Mind. SBS/WTA retread and a big yawn.

8. Capital City. Goodness. It's Wilco's combination of Mr. Kite and Honey Pie. Utter twee shite. The nadir of the album as a whole and as far as individual tunes.

9. Standing O. Yes, like someone else said, starts off like Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. The middle part sounds like the same song. Somewhat like a sped up I Might. Better than the previous three tunes but not great.

10. Red. Another yawn. Perhaps it's a grower?

11. Whole Love. I found it boring until the end. It's probably a grower. Reminds me of You and I, which I hated for a long time but ultimately grew to think is alright. Like the ending, which is much akin to You and I.

12. One Sunday. Will need more listens. The instrumental ending is terrific and very YHF.

excuse the ignorance (btw, love the album), in australia its listed as a 2CD deluxe version.. whats on the 2nd disk?. only $20 as well

Here's the Amazon listing

Disc: 2:

1 I Love My Label

2 Message From Mid‐Bar

3 Speak into the Rose

4 Black Moon

I like it. A lot. A couple of the songs I didn't quite get on the first listen hit me pretty good the second time through. Rising Red Lung is still kind of a question but I am sure it will get there.

Art of Almost.... holy crap cannot wait to hear it live.

I can't wait to hear a higher bitrate and on better quality speakers.

I'm sort of blown away by the resistance by so many to Rising Red Lung. How are you guys NOT realizing that this is one of the band's best songs in years...?

i think it's my #2 favorite on the record so far behind "Art of Almost"

Let's see if I can break it down track-by-track after one listen:

1. Art. Yup, it's the real deal and what we've all been waiting for since YHF. A winner and the best track on the LP.

2. I Might. Like it. It's grown on me.

3. Sunloathe. This is very SBS/WTA for me but with extra production and Harrison guitar, which spruce it up into something better.

4. Dawned on Me. Same vein as I Might. Not bad.

5. Black Moon. This is where things slow down for me, just as they did with SBS and WTA. It's a retread of the boring tracks on those two albums. Yawn.

6. Born Alone. It's a somewhat blah track until you figure in the guitar and the great descending outro. Die Alone?

7. Open Mind. SBS/WTA retread and a big yawn.

8. Capital City. Goodness. It's Wilco's combination of Mr. Kite and Honey Pie. Utter twee shite. The nadir of the album as a whole and as far as individual tunes.

9. Standing O. Yes, like someone else said, starts off like Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. The middle part sounds like the same song. Somewhat like a sped up I Might. Better than the previous three tunes but not great.

10. Red. Another yawn. Perhaps it's a grower?

11. Whole Love. I found it boring until the end. It's probably a grower. Reminds me of You and I, which I hated for a long time but ultimately grew to think is alright. Like the ending, which is much akin to You and I.

12. One Sunday. Will need more listens. The instrumental ending is terrific and very YHF.

I think you need to listen to the album a little bit more before making such generalizations. I think a lot of the songs that you think are boring, are really great folk songs.

Guest McGuffin

Judging from that break down "McGuffin" you should just give the album a big overall score of MEH.

That interview with Tweedy was so bang on.

Hard to rate an LP after just one listen. I'd give it somewhere between 6-7/10. I thought SBS and WTA both started off good and then limped through the middle toward the end as well. The whole thing could grow into a YHF, but it's highly unlikely. I'll say I'm pleasantly surprised with half of it.

I'm sort of blown away by the resistance by so many to Rising Red Lung. How are you guys NOT realizing that this is one of the band's best songs in years...?

Because everyone has their own opinion?

Guest McGuffin

Memo to TheMaker:

music is subjective.

End of memo to TheMaker.

P.S. I don't dig the track on first listen.

I think you need to listen to the album a little bit more before making such generalizations. I think a lot of the songs that you think are boring, are really great folk songs.

What generalizations? I just gave impressions after one listen. Everyone has an opinion. The way the fanboys and apologists act on this board is revolting.

Guest McGuffin

If you post on this board, you are a fanboy or fangirl. Don't be ashamed.

Hey, don't hate on the fanimals.

What makes these songs better then what was on Wilco the album is the added instrumentation. These songs have a lot more sonic depth then their last 2 records

This, I would agree with.

I've given it about 5 listens so far. It's pretty much like every other Wilco album for me. There are a few songs that I love, I few that are nice enough and a few that are not my cup of tea. It's always been this way for me with Wilco all the way back to A.M. and I accept that. I often end up liking some songs more than I thought I would after seeing them performed live and there are a few on this new record that I think will be amazing live, ex. Art of Almost and Born Alone. All in all, I'm thrilled to have some new Wilco to listen to and I can't wait for the shows.