One Sunday Morning (Song For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)

My original comment about how the song could be about Jane's boyfriend dumping Ms. Smiley had nothing to do with her looks, but just the thought of having to listen to her at dinner or in the car. Her opinions seem very strong and quite opposite of mine. I'm sure she's a very caring and nice person. But some of her opinions would irritate me greatly. I wonder if there'd be more comments on this song title if it were titled "(For Michael Savage's Limo Driver")?

What makes you think that Jane's Smiley's Boyfriend leans to the right? Or better yet, is just like you? The above thought process is kind of absurd.

So your nightmare scenario is listening to this woman's thoughts while driving and eating? What do you think you are, in a Woody Allen film? But if she shared the same ideologies as you would you mind her "chit chatting"?

Hey, maybe you're right. Maybe he is right leaning and they have hot 12 minute sex.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

So you're one of those nuts who believes in global warming, huh?

(I loved Sunloathe, by the way. The guitar runs reminded me a lot of Basement on a Hill Elliott Smith stuff.)

There's no issue but the one you invented.

Jeff's quote suggests it might be an issue for HIM. All I'm saying is that if it IS an issue for him, he shouldn't have included her name in the title. And if he hadn't, none of us would have cared at all and it would have affected our like or dislike of the record and the song ZERO.

This thread is about a specific song that has a person's name in the title. Dorks like me are curious about things like that. Besides Bob Dylan's Beard and Mermaid Avenue (which Jeff didn't write), it's rare to see a name in a song title.

It's all VERY trivial, and does nothing to change the fact that I love listening to it.

Jeff's quote suggests it might be an issue for HIM. All I'm saying is that if it IS an issue for him, he shouldn't have included her name in the title. And if he hadn't, none of us would have cared at all and it would have affected our like or dislike of the record and the song ZERO.

I do like the title and it does inform my enjoyment of the song. I think Tweedy's current issue with the title is the realization for him that people are going to be asking him about Jane Smiley in just about every interview for the next year-plus. But he had to have foreseen that, and is probably looking forward, beyond the initial coverage of the album/song/song title, to the point in the future where the "dust" has settled and it's just a great title for a great song.

This thread is cracking me up.

Anyway, this has to be one of the most beautiful songs ever. I'm falling more and more in love with it with repeated listens. Such a great ending to a amazing album. To me, it seems to end the album with kind of a bitter sweet feeling. Like the way you feel after finishing a great book and not wanting it to end. There's just something so elegant and poignant about it that I can't quite put my finger on. But I can say that this is the first 12+ minute song that I am seriously bummed when it finally ends, I just want it to keep going...now that is an accomplishment.

My favorite lyric: "I fell in love with the burden, holding me down"

My favorite lyric: "I fell in love with the burden, holding me down"

its my favorite lyric in the song too, i can relate to it, i find i can relate to a lot of jeffs lyrics. i love this song.

another favorite lyric i like is "outside i look lived in, like the bones in a shrine"

"Outside I look lived in" is probably my favorite line, but I also love "Bless my mind, I miss/Being told how to live." For anyone who's lost a parent, that line is so loaded with meaning. The push/pull of resenting but also relying on your parent guilt-tripping you and providing a built-in rudder to keep you on course--someone whose expectations you kind of have to live up to.

Why not just change it to Crazy Left Wing Nut Who Mucked Up a Good Song With his ISSUEZ?

Frankly, the whole album is pretty offensive to me. The title - the whole love - it's inclusivity? Clear and simple pandering to the homosexuals.

At least they make up for it with the best song ever.

eh...it's just an updated version of Leave me Like you Found Me... :badger :badger :badger :badger

Took my own stab at the lyrics. So wonderful... I've been so mesmerized by the music and the vibe of this song that I only caught a few lines here and there. But putting it all together and this is just magical.

This is how I'll tell it

Oh, but it's long

One Sunday morning

Oh, one son is gone

I can see where they're dawning

Over the sea

My father said what I had become

No one should be

Outside, I look lived in

Like bones in a shrine

How am I forgiven

Oh, I'll give it time

He's silent without warning

Holding my brow

In time you thought I would kill him

Oh, but I didn't know how

I said it's your God I don't believe in

No, your Bible can't be true

Knocked down by the long life

He cried I fear what waits for you

I can hear those bells

Spoken and gone

I feel relief, I feel well

Now he knows he was wrong

Ring 'em cold for my father

Frozen underground

Jesus, I wouldn't bother

He belongs to me now

Something sad keeps moving

So I wandered around

I fell in love with the burden

Holding me down

Bless my mind, I miss

Being told how to live

What I learned without knowing

How much more I owe than I can give

This is how I tell it

Oh, but it's long

One Sunday morning

One son is gone

This is the song that made me order a new turntable. I have an old linear tracking one, but after listening to this song acouple of times I need better equipment. This song is beautiful. I got 8 minutes of issues, then only four minutes of accoustic bliss to sort it all out. I have been ripped to shreds in other topics saying this is the best wilco album ever, and maybe the best album of the last 100 years, but I have to stand by that. How an album can end with a song this haunting and beautiful and not be classic is beyond me. Just my opinion, before the hyper agressiveboard crowd comes out to beat me down, but this is an unreal ending to an unreal album. Am upgrading my shiping option on the deluxe bundle to overnight so I can hear it on vinyl.

Guest Speed Racer

I saw the tab up in the tabs section of the site. Is it gone?

I feel like new Wilco has had trouble arranging ballads in a complimentary way, but this is just so full and well done.

Beautiful sounds aside, the line "one Sunday morning, one son is gone" makes me weep. My father died a year ago, Sunday, September 12th. This weekend marks one year gone since the worst day of my life, but now I have yet another song that brings me great comfor

Choo Choo Charlie...

I am sorry for your loss My Dad Died Suddenly (Heart Attack) 3 yrs ago.

For me its Cash (one of his Faves) that will cause me to Well Up>

Have yet to dig deeply into to the song but like many others on this thread I Love it and do not want it to end.

Beautiful sounds aside, the line "one Sunday morning, one son is gone" makes me weep. My father died a year ago, Sunday, September 12th. This weekend marks one year gone since the worst day of my life, but now I have yet another song that brings me great comfort.

That line gets to me too, every time. About 20 years ago my brother suddenly died. I was the one who had to tell my Mom and Dad. That line, and the whole mood of this song, definitely tugs at the heartstrings.

so I was enjoying the fading days of summer today. Took my wife's laptop and was doing some work by the river next to the church. This song was on my ipod and at the exact moment (i meant precisely EXACTLY exact) when Jeff sings "I can hear those bells" the church bells started to ring. I backtracked to see if it was a recording detail that i'd missed before. It wasn't. I checked the time. noon. the bells were actually ringing. Weird.

and I hear what everyone is posting as this:

How much more that I owe than I can give

as this:

How much more that I owe, that I can give