One Sunday Morning (Song For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.k., does anyone hear an awful squeak at 1:57? It sounds like Nels accidentally hit a string when he wasn't supposed to and they forgot to edit it out. Now, I know that they wouldn't have missed something like this, but I'm still hearing the squeaky squawk. it's just before the "outside i look lived in" verse. what gives?

squeak, squawk, squiggle...

I heard it early on as well, and thought it was more of a "peek" than anything. Just a couple notes to put out there and say "hey", but then disappear again. Bit of a tease, maybe. As if a 12 minute song needs some complete stray dog popping in just because it can.

I have never heard the boing in Far Far Away.

This discussion about the squeak reminds me of a discussion we had on here years ago about the little boing sound in "Far, Far Away" at the 2:39 mark. Ever since, I've never been able to hear that song without listening for it.

If you listen carefully to 'Hey Jude' you can hear Paul cursing after a mistake, "Aww Fuck Me!".

Really? That little guitar "riff", if you can even call it that, has actually been one of the many reasons why I love this song. My friend and I were listening to this in the car last night (he's a guitar player), and he actually said that those exact two guitar notes were his favorite part of the song. It's the paramount expression of restraint - just enough to let you know Nels' presence is there, but not enough to transcend the vibe of the song. It was more than intentional, you can tell that whoever did the mix purposefully emphasized that little riff. It occurs in the center of the stereo mix, versus some other Nels' licks in this song that occur on the right. Center stage for a total of less than 2 seconds, then gone again... "Outside, I look lived in..."

Just masterful.

Just listened to Far, Far Away and heard the boing sound. Awesome. Did a string break? Of course, I don't even know that that would produce a sound like that.

Also, I posted this in the After the Show forum, but I'll add it here:

I'm on the fence about whether I want to hear One Sunday Morning live. It's a good song, but I'm not entirely convinced that a 12-minute folk song is something I want or need to experience at a Wilco show.

How does it sound live?

Agreed. I haven't been moved this much by a song in a long time.

AGREED. Finally got around to taking my first tour of this album. I'm going through a particularly rough time in my personal life and everything hit me all at once while this song was playing. I almost lost it. Such a gorgeous song.

well, this does take place on a sunday morning, so clearly Jeff believes in a judeo-christian God.

...or it's two for one day at the Waffle house.

This discussion about the squeak reminds me of a discussion we had on here years ago about the little boing sound in "Far, Far Away" at the 2:39 mark. Ever since, I've never been able to hear that song without listening for it.

Not to derail the thread...but I always thought the 'boing' was a Jay Bennet f u to the alt country fans...

Just listened to Far, Far Away and heard the boing sound. Awesome. Did a string break? Of course, I don't even know that that would produce a sound like that.

Also, I posted this in the After the Show forum, but I'll add it here:

I'm on the fence about whether I want to hear One Sunday Morning live. It's a good song, but I'm not entirely convinced that a 12-minute folk song is something I want or need to experience at a Wilco show.

How does it sound live?

I'm thinking, as much as I love this song, I don't think hearing it played in a room full of hipsters, some of whom will feel the need to go "WHOOOOOO" in the middle of it, is something that I want any part of.

This is one that is probably best enjoyed alone, in the privacy of one's home, with the miracle of headphones.

I'm thinking, as much as I love this song, I don't think hearing it played in a room full of hipsters, some of whom will feel the need to go "WHOOOOOO" in the middle of it, is something that I want any part of.

This is one that is probably best enjoyed alone, in the privacy of one's home, with the miracle of headphones.

Saw it live in Toronto as the opener, it's as outstanding live as it is studio. The hipster seems to respect it and most stayed quite through it. Although being the first song meant all those annoying late unprepared people rushing to there seats as if they had no idea they were coming on on :rolleyes Call me crazy but when I pay money for awesome seats to see my favorite band play, I'm making sure I'm in my seats in a timely fashion and not being a douche and cutting in front of people who are actually in their seats because they were smart enough to know that they should just chill in their seats for that very short break between Nick Lowe and Wilco.

I think I understand why you would feel this way. But in Toronto Saturday night, the room was quiet and the crowd respectful. I don't think I heard any whoooo'ing or hollering. This probably sounds a bit over the top but it really was quite a mesmerizing performance. Beautiful and stunning.

Saw it live in Toronto as the opener, it's as outstanding live as it is studio. The hipster seems to respect it and most stayed quite through it. Although being the first song meant all those annoying late unprepared people rushing to there seats as if they had no idea they were coming on on :rolleyes Call me crazy but when I pay money for awesome seats to see my favorite band play, I'm making sure I'm in my seats in a timely fashion and not being a douche and cutting in front of people who are actually in their seats because they were smart enough to know that they should just chill in their seats for that very short break between Nick Lowe and Wilco.

You're telling me. Me and my friends had the aisle seats and I noticed the 4 seats next to me no one was sitting in throughout Nick Lowe's performance. I bet my friend $10 that they would come to their seats about 2 min into the 1st song. Lo and behold that's exactly what they did. (Then they left in the middle of another song, but thats another story)

I thought it was fantastic live. I still haven't noticed the "squawk" so I'm not sure if they played it. :)

one of the first times i heard One Sunday Morning (i think it was my 2nd listen thru the record) i was laying in bed slowly drifting off to sleep (but still awake), holding my wife while there was a heavy rainstorm going on outside.

doubt i'll forget that.

official lyrics via the deluxe cd book.... and it is 'knocked down by the long lie' and 'than I can give'

One Sunday Morning (Song For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)

This is how I tell it

O' but it's long

One Sunday Morning

O' one son is gone

Against the weather dawning

Over the sea

My father said what I had become

No one should be

Outside I look lived in

Like the bones in a shrine

How am I forgiven

O' I'll give it time

This I learned without warning

Holding my brow

In time we thought I would kill him

O' but I didn't know how

I said it's your God I don't believe in

No your bible can't be true

Knocked down by the long lie

He cried I fear what waits for you

I can hear those bells

Spoken and gone

I feel relief I feel well

Now he knows he was wrong

Ring 'em cold for my father

Frozen underground

Jesus I wouldn't bother

He belongs to me now

Something sad keeps moving

So I wandered around

I fell in love with the burden

Holding me down

Bless my mind I miss

Being told how to live

What I learned without knowing

How much more I owe than I can give

This is how I tell it

O' but it's long

One Sunday Morning

One son is gone

Hmm.. could be. But calling religion "the long lie" sounds pretty rough coming from Jeff (I don't think he's an atheist, is he?).

Keep in mind that those particular words might have belonged to Jane Smiley's boyfriend and not Jeff Tweedy. They lyrics are first-person rather than third-person, after all.