PopMatters has a list of its top 10 Wilco songs (pre-The Whole Love). (http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/148218-the-10-best-wilco-songs/P0)

I would have included an A.M. song (Dash 7 or Passenger Side). And I'd have included more than just 1 Summerteeth song (She's A Jar or Pieholden Suite). But I think it's a really solid list:

10. Far Far Away

9. Spiders

8. Poor Places

7. Handshake Drugs

6. At Least That's What You Said

5. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

4. Misunderstood

3. Via Chicago

2. Ashes of American Flags

1. Radio Cure

On a side note, for those who've heard the new record, how many The Whole Love songs do you think might make a Wilco top 10 list years from now? I'd argue at least 1, maybe 2.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've ever seen Far, Far Away on a list like this. Or Radio Cure, for that matter. I like Spiders, but I wouldn't put it in the top ten. As for songs from The Whole Love, it's still too early for me to even speculate. I really love Whole Love, Sunloathe, and Rising Red Lung, but it's hard for me to see them cracking my top ten.

That's a really weird #1, not that Radio Cure isn't a great tune I just think I might have put it at #10, and that's even pushing it.

I would have thought Jesus Etc. would be in there along with She's A Jar or Pieholden like you said, good list though, everything outside of Far Far Away and Radio Cure I'd agree with.

I think One Sunday Morning is a lock for a top 10 Wilco song, maybe Art Of Almost as well but we'll give it time.

Here is what I posted as mine

1. Dash 7

2. The Lonely 1

3. In A Future Age

4. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

5. Impossible Germany (because Nels is god and the solo is friggin' jaw dropping)

6. One Wing

7. Say You Miss Me

8. Either Way

9. What's The World Got In Store

10. Sunken Treasure

Tomorrow they will be 10 different songs

I have a confession to make

(I don't really like "I am trying to break your heart")

10. Far Far Away

9. Spiders

8. Poor Places

7. Handshake Drugs

6. At Least That's What You Said

4. Misunderstood

3. Via Chicago

2. Ashes of American Flags

1. Radio Cure

Hmm. I wonder how many shows they've performed all 10 of these songs? I'm guessing only a handful, since Radio Cure is tough to hear live.

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, for me, suffers a little bit because I've listened to it so many times.

But I'll always remember the first few times I heard it when I was hearing leaked mp3's many months before the cd release. Hearing the Big Star "Kangaroo"-like drums, guitar strum, mysterious lyrics and Jeff's delivery was like crack. I couldn't stop listening to it.

One Sunday Morning might be most likely new song to make a future list. Art of Almost doesn't seem to have the emotional lyrics of At Least That's What You Said, but for me it has the same attitude. I like it a lot.

That's crazy.

From the first time I heard it in August of 2001, I could appreciate that Jeff and Jay were going somewhere different, I just felt it was trying too hard. It's not because it was noisy...I love Ashes of American Flags.

If I was only allowed to put 10 Wilco songs on my iPod to listen to I would pick these in no particular order of preference only because I enjoy listening to them not necessarily because I think they are the best composed or produced or even what I might consider Wilco's best songs if you know what I mean. They are songs I find uplifting, catchy and just fun to listen to. I just find myself always picking these songs first when I put a playlist together for someone who hasn't heard Wilco before and they always ask for more:

Red Eyed and Blue / IGot You

One Wing

Hummingbird

Monday

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (again)

ELT

Hate It Here

Outtasite Outta Mind

War on War

I won't give them an ordinal ranking...

Muzzle of Bees

Hummingbird

Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway(again)

Jesus, etc.

Ashes of American Flags

Handshake drugs

Pick up the Change

Far, Far Away

Side with Seeds

Monday

I have a confession to make

(I don't really like "I am trying to break your heart")

I can't say I don't really like it; I do. I don't love it, though. I have heard it so much on the CD and in concert that I could do without it. And I hear you on the trying too hard to do something different. Wouldn't make my top 20 Wilco songs.

It's kind of interesting to me that whenever you ask Wilco fans to name their favorite Wilco songs the answers are all over the place.

Recently, I was reading a similar thing where Radiohead fans listed their favorite Radiohead songs. They are all more or less in agreement over their top 10 songs. I don't know what that means. It just strikes me how diverse the lists can be for Wilco songs.

So, anyway. Not than anyone cares or needs to know, this is my list (today) in no particular order.

I'm including two songs from the new album, because I'm obsessed.

The Lonely 1

Misunderstood

Sunken Treasure

She's a Jar

Via Chicago

Jesus, etc

At Least That's What You Said

Country Disappeared

Art of Almost

One Sunday Morning

Radio Cure certainly gets the shaft from Wilco fans for its intricate beauty. And apparently so does I Am Trying To Break Your Heart according to this thread. What the deuce?

Anyways, these may not be my favorite, but I believe these are the 10 best Wilco songs (pre-The Whole Love).

10 Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

09 Wishful Thinking

08 A Shot In The Arm

07 Sunken Treasure

06 Ashes Of American Flags

05 She's A Jar

04 Misunderstood

03 Poor Places

02 I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

01 Via Chicago

Augurus we have a pretty similar list!

Pre-TWL of course.

1. Via Chicago

2. Jesus Etc.

3. Sunken Treasure

4. Misunderstood

6. Wishful Thinking

7. Ashes Of American Flags

8. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

9. Poor Places

10. She's A Jar

11. Impossible Germany (just because SBS needs some love here)

1. I'm Always in Love

2. Sunken Treasure

3. Hotel Arizona

4. Ashes of american Flags (DVD version)

5. Pieholden Suite

6. Poor Places

7. Cars can't escape

8. Future age

9. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

10. At least that's what you said

Tomorrow there will be 10 different ones...

1. I'm Always in Love

2. Sunken Treasure

3. Hotel Arizona

4. Ashes of american Flags (DVD version)

5. Pieholden Suite

6. Poor Places

7. Cars can't escape

8. Future age

9. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

10. At least that's what you said

Tomorrow there will be 10 different ones...

Nice list and nice to see love for Hotel Arizona. I'm with you on the DVD version of 'Ashes', it's stunning.

I'm with you on the DVD version of 'Ashes', it's stunning.

Absolutely. So many times a song changes when you see it live or with amazing video footage and the DVD does this for Ashes in a beautiful way.

In that same vein, I didn't really get the beauty of Country Disappeared until seeing this gorgeous video.

Now, as you'll see above, it has made it into my top 10 list.