It's interesting that "Radio Cure" was #1 on the original list. I always thought of that song as occupying the "Within You, Without You" spot on the record--the song that most clearly reflected the emotional/conceptual point of the entire record lyrically, but a song I rarely played. But two points: 1) as I've gotten older I've come to adore "Within You..." to the point that is one of my favorite Beatles tracks and 2) "Radio Cure" live is great (even if every other performance fails to reach the heights of this past Solid Sound). So, I get "Radio Cure" now more than ever, but I'm still surprised to find it at #1.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely can't order mine. I just made an initial list and it was something like 25 or 30 songs. An attempted top ten, pre-TWL.

Misunderstood

California Stars

At My Window Sad and Lonely

Airline to Heaven

Remember the Mountain Bed

Hummingbird

Via Chicago

Jesus, Etc.

Shot in the Arm

At Least That's What You Said

I can see not being crazy about "IATTBYH." This is not a song that should appeal to everyone. It's at the top of my personal Wico hit parade though...I got that "hey, they wrote this for me!" vibe the first time I heard it. And it gets a lot of extra credit for plunging me full bore into the whole Wilco universe. I like it a lot.

I don't want to play the "greatest" game again. But the "desert island" one might be fun. Subtle difference....

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

She's a Jar

Far Far Away

Impossible Germany

Handshake Drugs

Spiders

At Least That's What You Said

Jesus Etc.

Poor Places

Ashes of American Flags

Radio Cure certainly gets the shaft from Wilco fans for its intricate beauty. And apparently so does I Am Trying To Break Your Heart according to this thread. What the deuce?

I listen to "Corduroy Cut-off Girl" from the engineer's demos and Radio Cure and I am amazed with the evolution of the song. Radio Cure is a good song. The delicate acoustic guitar at the beginning of the song are deliciously sublime.

There's no way I can distill down to a top 10. But I'm interested in two things from people's lists. Hotel Arizona -- could someone who loves this song help me understand why it's in your top 10? It's never stood out to me as anything very special, but apparently it is to lots of you. What do you like about it?

Secondly, it's nice to see Country Disappeared on people's lists. That song gives me chills. It was my request for Solid Sound. I'd love to hear it live -- anyone had the pleasure?

There's no way I can distill down to a top 10. But I'm interested in two things from people's lists. Hotel Arizona -- could someone who loves this song help me understand why it's in your top 10? It's never stood out to me as anything very special, but apparently it is to lots of you. What do you like about it?

Secondly, it's nice to see Country Disappeared on people's lists. That song gives me chills. It was my request for Solid Sound. I'd love to hear it live -- anyone had the pleasure?

While it's not in my top 10, I admire this song for its culminate ending. There's a sense of resignation and aloofness loosely based on a bad touring experience in Arizona. But the organ and the hiss just drives home the entire package.

Absolutely. So many times a song changes when you see it live or with amazing video footage and the DVD does this for Ashes in a beautiful way.

In that same vein, I didn't really get the beauty of Country Disappeared until seeing this gorgeous video.

Now, as you'll see above, it has made it into my top 10 list.

Beautiful. My favorite song on WTA. It has been since I first heard it.

You know...based on four listens of the stream, I am thinking that at least four of these will end up being on my list of Wilco Favorites. One Sunday Morning is simply lovely; I am really loving Born Alone and Art of Almost. And in the context of the record, I Might really shines.

Really looking forward to 9/27 (or Maybe Monday...depending on my fast the USPS gets me the LP/CD order).

cannot list anything on TWL b/c i've only heard them once sans I Might

1. Poor Places

2. Via Chicago

3. Misunderstood

4. Shot in the Arm

5. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

6. Ashes Of American Flags

7. Airline To Heaven

8. You Are My Face

9. Chinese Apple (though not really a 'wilco song')

10. Theologians

** thought i'd have more AGIB on here, but this ranking is almost impossible as the catalog grows

Guest Speed Racer

I listen to "Corduroy Cut-off Girl" from the engineer's demos and Radio Cure and I am amazed with the evolution of the song. Radio Cure is a good song. The delicate acoustic guitar at the beginning of the song are deliciously sublime.

This. While I love Corduroy Cut-Off Girl" from time to time, it always makes me think of that IATTBYH spoof with "Jim," "Jay," "Jeff" and the monkey noises.

It took me years to get into "Radio Cure," but I love it so much I would lobby a strong defense for its #1 slot. It's never a song I think of when I think of Wilco songs I love, but it's also one that I never, ever skip on shuffle. It's a mood-changer for me, it's not a song that has to fit in with what I'm feeling in that moment.

This. While I love Corduroy Cut-Off Girl" from time to time, it always makes me think of that IATTBYH spoof with "Jim," "Jay," "Jeff" and the monkey noises.

It took me years to get into "Radio Cure," but I love it so much I would lobby a strong defense for its #1 slot. It's never a song I think of when I think of Wilco songs I love, but it's also one that I never, ever skip on shuffle. It's a mood-changer for me, it's not a song that has to fit in with what I'm feeling in that moment.

Mood changer indeed. This song is where the sense of isolation becomes omnious

It took me years to get into "Radio Cure," but I love it so much I would lobby a strong defense for its #1 slot.

Same here. It probably took me a solid four years of skipping or ignoring the track before it caught on for me. It's a song that rewards patience, and while it lacks the bombast of "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" it makes up for it by being a much stronger song lyrically. To this day, it is the only Wilco song where I remember the exact moment and setting where I "got it".

My list:

Sunken Treasure
One By One
A Shot in the Arm
ELT
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
Kamera
Radio Cure
A Magazine Called Sunset
Muzzle of Bees
Deeper Down