Wilco -- 9/13/11, Indianapolis, IN

Hate to be "that Guy" but WTF.....anyone see if anyone was recording....we need to hear this now.

I hate to be this type of guy too but I was hoping for more of a core setlist shake up! The following has been played at ever show I have seen Wilco do since the SBS tour which is probably about 10 or so times...As an interesting observation I am surpised they took out Heavy Metal and Spiders..

Misunderstood

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Your Are My Face

Impossible Germany

Via Chicago

I'm Always In Love

Shot In The Arm

Hummingbird

Jesus, Etc.

I'm The Man Who Loves You

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to be this type of guy too but I was hoping for more of a core setlist shake up! The following has been played at ever show I have seen Wilco do since the SBS tour which is probably about 10 or so times...As an interesting observation I am surpised they took out Heavy Metal and Spiders..

Misunderstood

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Your Are My Face

Impossible Germany

Via Chicago

I'm Always In Love

Shot In The Arm

Hummingbird

Jesus, Etc.

I'm The Man Who Loves You

I agree. Maybe we should skip a few... :)

I don't think any of those songs should be skipped. For the couple of time a year I get to see Wilco live, I want to hear all of those, and so many others. What I would like to see happen is for Wilco to ditch having an opener, and for all shows to be "An Evening With." After 16 years, they've got the live repertoire to fill an evening. They should go the route of the Dead, Phish, Allmans, Furthur and drop having opening acts. Of course, easy for me to say. I know in the Ashes DVD they show what a physical toll the live shows put on Nels and Glenn, so maybe they can't physically do it, but I can still hope for another Evening With tour.

I don't think any of those songs should be skipped. For the couple of time a year I get to see Wilco live, I want to hear all of those, and so many others. What I would like to see happen is for Wilco to ditch having an opener, and for all shows to be "An Evening With." After 16 years, they've got the live repertoire to fill an evening. They should go the route of the Dead, Phish, Allmans, Furthur and drop having opening acts. Of course, easy for me to say. I know in the Ashes DVD they show what a physical toll the live shows put on Nels and Glenn, so maybe they can't physically do it, but I can still hope for another Evening With tour.

I am on the other side of the coin. Once I hear a song live once I don't care as much about hearing it again. I would take a song live off the new album to substitute one of the older ones I heard many times but that is just me. The rare time when I hear a new song for me live at a Wilco show is VERY EXCITING TO ME. Most recently when I saw Jeff solo and he played Whats the World Got In Store a nice rareity that I finally heard live after 15 shows...made my night.

What I would like to see happen is for Wilco to ditch having an opener, and for all shows to be "An Evening With." After 16 years, they've got the live repertoire to fill an evening.

They did that last tour, or at leas they did at the Fox in Atlanta. What a wonderful evening, a show I will never forget. However, kudos for selecting Nick Lowe for this tour. A great songwriter.

I don't understand it - You have an almost unnatural hatred of that album. There's some great music on there.

Based on your methodology, can we assume they believe Being There sucked as well?

when you consider the age of both albums it seems strange that they would only play 1 track off that album..it's clearly not a fan favorite.

I don't think any of those songs need to be skipped...maybe Hummingbird but other than that i'd be kind of disappointed if I didn't hear the rest.

I also think..and I know I will get crap for this...that the last tour shows were way too long. I mean sure I love to hear so many songs but I think it takes a toll...on the fans and the band. I'd rather see a nice high energy 2+ hour show, if they played longer I probably wouldn't complain but I don't need it to be that long and some songs I just don't need to hear...maybe it was because I saw a few back to back shows also.

I don't think any of those songs need to be skipped...maybe Hummingbird but other than that i'd be kind of disappointed if I didn't hear the rest.

I also think..and I know I will get crap for this...that the last tour shows were way too long. I mean sure I love to hear so many songs but I think it takes a toll...on the fans and the band. I'd rather see a nice high energy 2+ hour show, if they played longer I probably wouldn't complain but I don't need it to be that long and some songs I just don't need to hear...maybe it was because I saw a few back to back shows also.

I definitely wont' give you "crap" for that, but the Boston "Evening With" show clocked in around 3 hours 15 minutes, and I could have stayed for another 3 hours!

Nick Lowe was amazing! He certainly realized very quickly that this was an audience who were into everything he gave. He looked genuinely in awe of how well he was received, deservedly so. So smooth and wonderful his songs were. Wilco came to Rock! I took a friend who was new to Wilco. He was certainly impressed as was I. The catalog of songs seems too big now. Lots of people saying what song they really wanted to hear on the way out. That's a nice problem for any band to have. I just wish those in the balcony, where I was seated, were more into the show. Way too many people sitting on their hands. Can't wait for my Whole Love CD to arrive!

Guest Jesus Etc

A Couple Observations

1. Nick Lowe was excellent and I was thoroughly surprised as too many of Wilco's openers over the years have been average at best.

2. The first four songs by Wilco were incredibly strong and set the tone for the evening. As bad as the Murat is for a rock show it was a fantastic concert.

3. The banter regarding California Stars was a little more colorful than written above. When Jeff mocked the hill jack with the flip phone he then said "who has a flip phone anyway? Get a smart phone. That's a fucking idiot phone."

4. This was my fifteenth show and I think it ranks in my top 2...maybe the best. The new songs along with the subtraction of a few stand bys has made the set list gargantuan.

I definitely wont' give you "crap" for that, but the Boston "Evening With" show clocked in around 3 hours 15 minutes, and I could have stayed for another 3 hours!

Yeah see I was at that show....but I went to the RI Lupo's show which I think was 2 days before and that show IMO was way better...smaller venue, more intimate...by the time I got half way into the Boston show...I was like Ok.

I had a much better time at the Solid Sound show....it was a shorter show but every song was high energy and rocking.

Just to get my two cents in; I thought it was a great show last night! The band was awesome; they really rocked the entire two hours. They all seemed in good form and lots of smiles on stage. Just a fantastic show, maybe the best I’ve seen from them. Okay, they’re all great shows as far as I'm concerned, but this was a notch better. The energy from the band was really up there.

No complaints from me on the set list. I would be in the crowd of disappointed fans if they didn’t play a good selection of their “regular” songs. I mean, Handshake Drugs from Kicking Television is what got me hooked on Wilco anyway. I don’t see them live often enough to get tired of any repeats. And the new songs were really exciting live. A good mix, I think.

The crowd around me was well behaved, too. Pretty minimal talking / texting / tweeting / pictures, etc.

I don’t know any of Nick Lowe’s songs (except Cruel to be Kind, of course). So I didn't know what to expect, but I really enjoyed his set. I would definitely encourage anyone to not to miss him at upcoming shows. Again the crowd was really respectful and showed a lot of appreciation for him.

Did anyone stick around after the show? Wondering if any of the band came out for autographs, etc. We had a long drive so left right afterward.

Finally, I looked but didn’t see any tapers.

when you consider the age of both albums it seems strange that they would only play 1 track off that album..it's clearly not a fan favorite.

I could be wrong, but it seems that they always play fewer songs off the album they just toured behind.

"Did anyone stick around after the show? Wondering if any of the band came out for autographs, etc. We had a long drive so left right afterward."

Yep to both! We went outside under the marquee where there was a stage door off to the right. At first there were about 15 or 20 people waiting, but eventually the number dwindled down to just a handful. About 45 minutes after the end of the show, John Stirrat came out and talked to a few fans and signed various items. Nels and Glenn were next, followed shortly by Pat. They were all incredibly nice and seemed very down to earth. Interestingly, they each said were nervous about playing the new stuff live for the first time, especially Art of Almost. I can only speak for myself, but the new stuff sounded great, especially Art of Almost! Nick Lowe eventually made an appearance, making my wife very happy, as she was there mostly to see him. We all kept waiting to see if anyone else was going to step out, but the security guys shooed us all away and that was that. This was my first Wilco show and the tickets were a birthday present from my wife--it was an incredible performance, I got a cool poster (signed, no less), and we met most of the band. I couldn't have been happier! Well, maybe if Jeff had come out, but I really have no complaints!

Same words, different layout, with 9 pics too

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110914/ENTERTAINMENT/109140375/Review-Wilco-kicks-off-tour-with-comfortable-self-assured-show

Nick looks like a mix of Ronnie Barker and Harry Worth these days

Thanks for the post. Had tix., gave them up for a charit auction with thought that no one would want them, scored more than anyone thought, so proud, but needed the justification. Was hoping for Art of Almost up front. Cant wait until December 1213 in Chicago. Buying two sets, one for whatever charity deserves, then if not whatever fan from via needs, and one just for me. Thanks again.

Poster for Indianapolis was simple yet cool--it's on the Wilco facebook page and Wilcoworld's past tours/show details page for this show. No new album, but they had the I Might 45 and a good selection of side-project cds (Autumn Defense, etc.). Plus the last few Wilco cds, scarves, the dbpm yo yo, stickers, hoodies, and a few t-shirts with good art but very limited number left in several of the sizes (not sure why when this was 1st show of the tour). I'm sure there was other stuff, the above is all that I can remember. Prices ranged from $40 for the hoodies down to $11 for the yo yo's with maybe a few cheaper smaller things like stickers. Posters were $25. Hope this helps!