Wilco--9/20/11 Boston

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in an amazing age!

I just downloaded the show from last night. It took 4 minutes and 39 seconds and I have it less than 24 hours since they played the first note! Back in the old days I used to marvel at the fact that I got a batch of Grateful Dead tapes 2 or 3 months after the show was played! (And I knew tapers!) The "immediacy" of that used to blow me away. And that was weeks or months later, on cassette, with a trip to the post office.

To quote Homer, "What a world we live in"

I also feel a bit spoiled for thinking "ugh, a Wilco show NOT longer than two hours?" but like a bunch of you fine folks think, it was a tight set and the new songs sound incredible. Also, think of it this way: the next time they come to New England, they probably won't play half of those songs from TWL. So just think of it as "An Evening with The Whole Love"--though a Wilco show without Jesus and Hummingbird seemed a bit foreign to me.

Beautiful venue, horrible ushers (what's up with the Secret Service-esque suits telling you to stop taking non-flash pictures?), and absurdly overpriced everything. I submitted to an $11 Miller to drown my sorrows after finding out the posters were sold out, which was another first at a Wilco show.

Regardless, that was my eleventh time seeing Wilco since 2005 and they make me more than happy each show. It's like seeing family.

"Also, think of it this way: the next time they come to New England, they probably won't play half of those songs from TWL."

wow...for some reason didn't really consider that, but yes, it's obvious - they'll not do as many of them next time, for sure. I wish I'd been thinking of that during the show, to truly appreciate. I really did dig them all last night, and they translate so well live.

Sound overall was pretty stellar - dead center, Orch, row T (if i remember correctly). Had two (dudes!) talkers in front of us, which was driving me crazy...but - great show. tough when the last one they did in Boston was the 39 song-er....Feels like no matter what they did, it would still be held against that high standard of the March show (was that March?)

Well, for some reason i get bummed the next day after a show. I must love this band a lot - i guess i miss 'em :)

Yes. According to BT Solid Sound Night 2 is up there only. Surprised Night 1 isn't listed.

Here's Night 1 & Night 2 on the Visible Sound blog.

Edited to reflect A-Man's point below: So these 2 shows are available in mp3 format ONLY on this site, but you can download the tracks individually.

Don't know if I caused any confusion. I was referring to Solid Sound night 2 as being up on bt.etree in response for a request to hear a live prrformance of one of the new songs. It definitely is there. It's a good recording. I have night 1 from some source, not as good with the rain and wind.

We live in an amazing age!

I just downloaded the show from last night. It took 4 minutes and 39 seconds and I have it less than 24 hours since they played the first note! Back in the old days I used to marvel at the fact that I got a batch of Grateful Dead tapes 2 or 3 months after the show was played! (And I knew tapers!) The "immediacy" of that used to blow me away. And that was weeks or months later, on cassette, with a trip to the post office.

To quote Homer, "What a world we live in"

I'm happy to say that I am the "gmfeld" bobhund the taper refers to in his taping notes for last night's show. He's my buddy, wasn't yrt much of a Wilco fan, and I suggested, cajoled, encouraged, and eventually threatened him to get a ticket and get himself and his rig to see Wilco. Glad to read that you like the recording. I will pass that along to Bob. And I too remember the days of mailing Dead tapes in yellow padded envelopes, in trees and twigs created on the WELL. Bobhund will also recall those days.

DSC_0191-2.jpg

Alrighty, my full set of photos is finally up...

Debrief // Wilco at the Wang Theatre, Boston // Sept. 20, 2011

nice shots. this one and the Nels one leaning back w/ the light mostly on his face are my faves. btw for clarification, Fighting Tinnitus is not a subsidiary of tinnitus photography :)

i am kinda bummed to hear that shooters were staged at the wings of the stage edge...had i known that, i would have put in for the show. I did ask the PR rep for shooting restriction clarifications but never heard back, unfortunately.

what was the general vibe like on the floor? were people standing much of the time? the balcony was reserved...people didn't stand until the encore, and even then it was not a majority...kinda took a bit of the energy out of the show, to be honest.

btw for clarification, Fighting Tinnitus is not a subsidiary of tinnitus photography :)

what was the general vibe like on the floor? were people standing much of the time? the balcony was reserved...people didn't stand until the encore, and even then it was not a majority...kinda took a bit of the energy out of the show, to be honest.

I was wondering about the relationship between "Fighting Tinnitus" and "Tinnitus Photography", thanks for clarifying.

The vibe on the floor was great. Although my wife and I were in Row A :wave and mostly looking stage forward, the floor was definitely up on its feet and dancing the entire night as far as I could tell. I had a friend in the balcony who was bummed that everyone was sitting and not dancing, until the rockin encore set.

I was in the mezzanine and was told by a security guard that I had to sit down after standing for the first 3 songs or so. I was incredulous. Someone behind me must have complained. There was only one row behind me, and I'm 5' on a good day, so I can't imagine I was really impeding someone's view very much. Anyway, the guard was kind of not nice about it, so we moved and found a place near the back of the orchestra to stand. It kind of put a bummer on the evening, truthfully. I won't ever go to the Wang again unless I have really good seats.

btw for clarification, Fighting Tinnitus is not a subsidiary of tinnitus photography :)

Hahaha -- truth. There's also evidently a "Gimme Tinnitus" MP3 blog out there. Sorry for the confusion, everyone :yes

The vibe down front was great -- nearly everyone was up from the get-go, other than the front center row, and even they were dancing in their seats.

nice shots. this one and the Nels one leaning back w/ the light mostly on his face are my faves. btw for clarification, Fighting Tinnitus is not a subsidiary of tinnitus photography :)

i am kinda bummed to hear that shooters were staged at the wings of the stage edge...had i known that, i would have put in for the show. I did ask the PR rep for shooting restriction clarifications but never heard back, unfortunately.

I was in Orch. Center Row K Aisle and People to the left of me People to the Right of me and Myself were Dancing or Standing in all the appropriate places..

Have fun NYC and don't forget the flowers

um Ponchos

I hope rain lightens up for them

We were in row N and everyone was up and dancing from the start except the stodgy couple seated next to us. They sat for 90% of the show. My daughter was wondering why they came. Killer show from start to finish. We were relieved that they actually told the crowd to get up and make noise at the Sullivan Theater last night. Sitting through Wilco would just plain suck.

Went Tuesday

Just watched the Letterman* over lunch Highly Reccd ...(running again on Letterman)

Loved the Show steamrolled right through enjoyed every moment!

Glad my Daughter (and others from MA) will be seeing em in NYC

Man I miss those days of Several dates w/ in a 2 hour ride..

Perhaps will see them on a later winter / early spring to promote SS -3... Hoping!

*Letterman Link

http://www.cbs.com/l...an/wilco/video/

Thanks for the set list. Echo comments about the show...short but sweet. Shortest set list I can remember but still a great show. This band is so TIGHT right now, everything is spot on. The encore was the best I've seen from them in a 10-11 years (Summerteeth tour).

ha - no one submitted video? i had a whole thing just about ready to go but figured "eh, they'll be so overwhelmed with submissions" and never sent it, figures.

still - i think there was some reason beyond a lack of footage that they were limited in the stage setup. that said - i think the lighting they did use was fantastic.

Sounds great. At first I thought it was a little bassy (sound that way on my computer's speakers), but in headphones I didn't get any over blown bass at all.

Grab it!

oftentimes, good fobs will overwhelm computer speakers, car speakers and stock headphone amps in your computer or DAP, but will sound great on a real stereo (or a decent set of headphones properly amplified). has to do with the sound pressure levels and the extended low frequencies at the show I think.

the 460's do a fair job with bass and spl. wish I could swing a pair of 480s, but they don't come up on the used market that often - and I'd have to sell my car for neumanns or schoeps. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Another great show! Although 'An Evening with Wilco' in April 2010 was three solid hours of amazing Wilco-ness. I would LOVE 39 songs again!! 2 hours felt way too short, especially when it took at least 30 minutes to wait in line for our tickets, check out the merch booth, and get a drink (not to mention the line for the ATM in order to pay for said drink, since nowhere seemed to be accepting credit cards.). Please do another Evening with Wilco again! Loved all 39 songs and loved the living room set design.

Boston peeps - I picked up a second poster of the 9/20 show and ended up not using it. It's on EBay for the next 6 days if anyone is interested!