Best amp for a Nord Electro?

Greetings gearheads,

I have a Nord Electro 3 and was wondering if any keyboard players out there could recommend a good amplifier for me to put it through? The other option that I've just started investigating is putting it through powered speakers.

If anyone's got any advice it'd be truly appreciated.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use to use a Roland KC-350 combo amp with my Nord Electro 2. Sounded great. It was loud enough for small cafe gigs, and also good as a personal monitor for larger gigs when playing with a band (I'd DI to the PA as well).

Eventually, the weight of it was a killer for hauling around to shows.

I recently bought a Wharfedale Titan 12A powered monitor. It's loud enough, and at least 10kg lighter than the Roland. I don't think the electric pianos sound quite as good through it as they did through the Roland, but the organ and acoustic pianos are better. All patches sound good enough in a live situation, though.

I think, for a keyboard that does a few different sounds, like the Electro, you are best to go for a clean amp that doesn't colour the sound too much. Sure, the wurli, rhodes and clav are going to sound awesome through a Fender tube amp, but a lot of the other sounds, like the acoustic pianos, won't.

BTW, I'm super jealous of you NE3. I'd love to upgrade, but difficult to justify at the mo'.

Good luck!