Additional Songs from Deluxe Version

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i just confirmed. the vinyl version of Sometimes it Happens fades out..while the Itunes edition comes to a conclusion!!

So my official tracklisting is now

1-11 - CD

12 - Vinyl version of One Sunday Mornining

13- Sometimes It happens - Itunes version

14-16 - Deluxe Edition CD

remove track 17 - Black Moon (alt version)...

Finally my life is complete!!

I can't decide if all these weird alternate versions are cool or just annoying.

I bought the Deluxe CD. I "stole" the vinyl version of OSM & Sometimes It Happens. I'll probably "steal" the iTunes version of SIT (what an unfortunate acronym!) also.

At the end of the day, I will get to hear these songs in all forms... so why not just pick the version you (Wilco) like and keep things simple? I mean, I understand how there are physical limitations on the CD and vinyl, but surely you (Wilco) can come up with something that works in all media formats.

OK, I guess I decided -- annoying.

I just bought the Itunes version. it was $1.29...whatever..picked up the vinyl at my local record store..gotta support the band and the local indie place.

I like to treat my IPod like my personal mix, so I sometimes mix things up. For instance I added Butcher and Super Collider to the end of King of Limbs.

A technical question for iTunes: OK. I bought the Deluxe version (physical cd) last night at midnight and figured I'd buy/find Sometimes It Happens. Well, iTunes is being awful to me and keeps booting me off every time I try to purchase it saying "Your session Has Timed Out". It apparently doesn't have my credit card info and I somehow have .15 in a Gift Card balance. That's impossible as I just bought something a few weeks ago. I tried all of the help forums and the main thing that they told folks to do was to reset your time zone (REALLY?! there has to be more to it than that). Well, that didn't work for me and the Apple hotline is closed.

Not looking for a freebie, but rather free info on this issue that hopefully some others are having or had in the past. Glad I didn't rely on iTunes to buy The Whole thing.

I hate to do this, but I've come to the conclusion that The Whole Love would be a lot better (at least for me) if the main album tracklisting was adjusted.

1. Art of Almost

2. I Might

3. Sunloathe

4. Speak into the Rose (It's an instrumental but it kicks Spiders Kidsmoke's ass and would add some meatiness to the album)

5. Black Moon (Alt. Version) (The addition of strings just reminds me too much of Nick Drake and not very much like Wilco)

6. Message From Mid-Bar

7. Born Alone (The transition between Mid-Bar and this is great)

8. Capitol City

9. Rising Red Lung

10. Whole Love

11. One Sunday Morning (Song For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)

I omitted "Open Mind" because it just seemed like an A.M. leftover and out of place here. I omitted "Dawned on Me" and "Standing O" because both of them sound unfinished to me and contrast too much with the mellower songs, disrupting the flow.

Perhaps this is sacrilege, but if it works for me then WHAT THE HELL.

Dawned on Me...unfinished!!? Have you listened to that song with headphones on? It's like super layered...if anything they over did it. It's probably one of the best songs on the record in my opinion. Standing O was probably the only track on the album I didn't really like at first, but it's grown on me. It's very "I'm a Wheel or Walken" just fun, brainless, garage rock.

I think Open Mind is a very pretty song, and it reminds me mostly of Sky Blue Sky. Black Moon without the strings looses it's dramatic effect for me.

so basically what I'm saying, is that I totally disagree with everything you just wrote. LOL.

Maybe you're listening to a different "Dawned on Me" than me lol. For some reason the song just doesn't have any impact for me until the very end when the backing vocals show up and the guitar is more prominent. The bridge also seems a little premature (I could say the same for "Whole Love").

I feel like "Open Mind" is too simple guitar-wise for Sky Blue Sky and reminds me more of one of the lesser WTA songs. I love the lyrics though, I just wish they did more with it sonically and maybe extended it more.

(In fact, there are a handful of songs on this album that I wish they made a little bit longer)

But ENOUGH with the negativity. I'm happy enough calling The Whole Love my favorite Wilco album since A Ghost Is Born.

Guest McGuffin

I can't decide if all these weird alternate versions are cool or just annoying.

I bought the Deluxe CD. I "stole" the vinyl version of OSM & Sometimes It Happens. I'll probably "steal" the iTunes version of SIT (what an unfortunate acronym!) also.

At the end of the day, I will get to hear these songs in all forms... so why not just pick the version you (Wilco) like and keep things simple? I mean, I understand how there are physical limitations on the CD and vinyl, but surely you (Wilco) can come up with something that works in all media formats.

OK, I guess I decided -- annoying.

The way record companies are releasing albums, with different bonus tracks on different versions of the album (sometimes according to the site from which you buy it) is getting silly. They know some will buy the album multiple times. And then there's the digital only import singles. The days of those b-sides are clearly over. Boo.

I hate to do this, but I've come to the conclusion that The Whole Love would be a lot better (at least for me) if the main album tracklisting was adjusted.

Perhaps this is sacrilege, but if it works for me then WHAT THE HELL.

So you made a Wilco playlist. Good for you.

Man, having Sometimes It Happens follow One Sunday Morning, along with shifting the sequencing to place Whole Love before Capitol City, really fucks with my enjoyment of the vinyl. What a terrible solution to the fitting-four-sides issue. The true tracklisting is the CD version.

Adding a bonus track ... I get that. But I don't get why "Whole Love" was moved. It has nothing to do with fitting on four sides -- side 3 would be the same length even if the sequence were the same as the CD.

Adding a bonus track ... I get that. But I don't get why "Whole Love" was moved. It has nothing to do with fitting on four sides -- side 3 would be the same length even if the sequence were the same as the CD.

that was what i didn't get either. the run time of the side wouldn't change based on the order.... the only think i can think of would be the placement of the actual grooves on the vinyl, that might make a difference.

Message from Mid-Bar... It's an interesting song, but I don't know yet if it's a good one. It seems like a perfect B-side - a song where the band seems like they couldn't quite finish it to their full satisfaction, but far enough along to warrant being heard.

Speak Into the Rose... The title sounds like Ryan Adams. The music sounds like Neu!. In terms of feel, I think it could have been on the album proper serving the same role as Let's Go Away for Awhile on the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. Rock instrumentals usually represent half-baked ideas, but this song is not that at all. It's quite good.

Black Moon (Alt.)... As others have said, this version offers pretty much the same interpretation of the song as the album version. The most noticeable difference is the absence of the strings. Black Moon is my favorite song on the album so far. The alternate version is still good, but the strings on the album version take the song from merely "interesting" to "evocative".