Additional Songs from Deluxe Version

Speak Into the Rose... The title sounds like Ryan Adams. The music sounds like Neu!. In terms of feel, I think it could have been on the album proper serving the same role as Let's Go Away for Awhile on the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. Rock instrumentals usually represent half-baked ideas, but this song is not that at all. It's quite good.

Agreed - I really like this track. More bands (esp. bands as skilled as Wilco) should be willing to include an instrumental on every album.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought the Itunes version. it was $1.29...whatever..picked up the vinyl at my local record store..gotta support the band and the local indie place.

I like to treat my IPod like my personal mix, so I sometimes mix things up. For instance I added Butcher and Super Collider to the end of King of Limbs.

Have to support the label. I love them. Bought deluxe version,got on itunes also, and then went to my vinyl provider to pick up a copy. Alsopicked up PearlJam20 and Nirvana Nevermind on vinyl. Putting a vinyl copy away, and a deluxe cd, but the FLAC version is saved, pristine an without harm or conversion, so I can do a headphone event comparing FLAC with vinyl. Hav a feeling I kow who wins, but it is the pursuit of the truth that makes for fun, not the acquisition of same.

Speak Into the Rose... The title sounds like Ryan Adams. The music sounds like Neu!. In terms of feel, I think it could have been on the album proper serving the same role as Let's Go Away for Awhile on the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. Rock instrumentals usually represent half-baked ideas, but this song is not that at all. It's quite good.

Yeah it's a REALLY fun tune and I would love to hear it live sometime. It's very Spiders.. Almost too much, but that's not a bad thing.

I like the song order on the vinyl. It seems more balanced. They need a really strong tune at that point of the record and whole love delivers. I also enjoy Capitol city more after it follows whole love. I think they should have included speak into the rose on the album and maybe dropped standing o. It just fits the mood better.

Sometimes It Happens might be the best non-album track on the deluxe version. The rest, not so much (although the cover of I Love My Label is pretty cool).

It's also another cover. Jeff played that song at Maxwell's last December. He explained that he had heard a great version of it on a Linda Thompson bootleg. He also said she recorded it for a record and it was "utter dogshit". He also played it with the fadeout just like the vinyl version.

EDIT: It is originally a Brian Patten poem.

Guest McGuffin

I can't decide if all these weird alternate versions are cool or just annoying.

I bought the Deluxe CD. I "stole" the vinyl version of OSM & Sometimes It Happens. I'll probably "steal" the iTunes version of SIT (what an unfortunate acronym!) also.

At the end of the day, I will get to hear these songs in all forms... so why not just pick the version you (Wilco) like and keep things simple? I mean, I understand how there are physical limitations on the CD and vinyl, but surely you (Wilco) can come up with something that works in all media formats.

OK, I guess I decided -- annoying.

Of course, different versions according to the format and/or where you purchased it are annoying. But it's a great way for record companies to scam fans because they know certain fans will redundantly buy the CD, vinyl and digital versions so they can have everything as well as post about it on the net. All it does is tick off the average fan and, ironically, increase you know what.

Also, Message from Mid-Bar is a nice little tune.

yeah, i just confirmed. the vinyl version of Sometimes it Happens fades out..while the Itunes edition comes to a conclusion!!

So my official tracklisting is now

1-11 - CD

12 - Vinyl version of One Sunday Mornining

13- Sometimes It happens - Itunes version

14-16 - Deluxe Edition CD

remove track 17 - Black Moon (alt version)...

Finally my life is complete!!

I like the sounds of this setup. Anyone have any idea where I can download the viynl version of One Sunday Morning?

Message From Mid-Bar reminds me of Comment (If All Men Are Truly Brothers) at the end of Kicking Television. Evokes a gospel-like feeling, like Jeff is preaching "Anyways the point is things can always be worse, when you don't have a chorus, it's verse after verse after verse". Not like that's a bad thing, when I first got KT I just sat and listened to Comment on repeat, great version of the song.

I'd love to see it performed live.

can someone please PM re: the iTunes version of "Sometimes It Happens." i have the deluxe edition of the CD and the vinyl bonus tracks, but i think to truly be complete, i need the longer version of this song!

-justin

Dude, it's $1.29 at the Itunes store. Surely you are willing to part with $1.30 to be complete. LOL.

My tracklisting that I posted earlier works really well. Speak into the Rose is a great way to close the album (still not as good as OSM) but it kind of leads right into Art of Almost. I like I like

Im still looking for a place to download the vinyl version of One Sunday Morning. Real curious what those extra 2 min sound like. I already bought the deluxe set and the Itunes version of Sometimes it Happens, but cant find a place to buy/download the vinyl version. any help?

Sorry friend, didn't mean any harm. I too have purchased The Whole Love, twice, actually, on LP and deluxe CD. I'm just saying that if I really feel the need to have a slightly longer version of a song I'm willing to fork over a buck to get it, rather than trying to go on a hunt. Either way, my life will still be ok if I can only hear one version of a song in my car or on an iPod. But I will say that I'm certainly not the first one to point this out. I'm not the Wilco purchase police. I've observed on more than one occasion someone being chastised for asking for a commercially available product for free and generally agree with those sentiments.

no harm intended. i really only purchase music that i can get a lossless copy of and therefore i despise iTunes bonus tracks although i do seek them out as i am a completist.

of course i've bought the deluxe edition of the album and i have 600+ CDs and a really nice pair of headphones, which is how i do my listening and why i prefer lossless. what with storage capacity and download speed increasing, hopefully all of the online music stores will transition to lossless quality...

-justin

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump such an old thread.

I've purchased the "I Might" single, TWL on vinyl, and SITR 10". I'm a completist (and I love this album's artwork) so I'm thinking about purchasing the deluxe version of the CD. Could someone fill me in about that "52 page booklet" that comes with it?

Sorry to bump such an old thread.

I've purchased the "I Might" single, TWL on vinyl, and SITR 10". I'm a completist (and I love this album's artwork) so I'm thinking about purchasing the deluxe version of the CD. Could someone fill me in about that "52 page booklet" that comes with it?

It's really not that great. Some photos, lyrics, instrument/production credits and additional artwork that looks a lot like the cover art. To some, I suppose, that seems like a great thing to have, but I was hoping to have something like a narrative offering insights into the writing and recording process. That's the stuff that interests me.

Heard a rumor the alt version of Art of Almost is working its way around the internet. Anyone hear this? Supposed to be completely different, and was rumored to be the original genesis of the song until the version on TWL was reworked. I refuse to look, as I know some day a boxed set of authorized work will come out and everytime I hear Summerteeth I hear the bootleg version and it throws me off.

Heard a rumor the alt version of Art of Almost is working its way around the internet. Anyone hear this? Supposed to be completely different, and was rumored to be the original genesis of the song until the version on TWL was reworked. I refuse to look, as I know some day a boxed set of authorized work will come out and everytime I hear Summerteeth I hear the bootleg version and it throws me off.

I have the "Speak into the Rose" 10" and the alt version of Art of Almost is on there. Definitely not "completely different". I wonder if there's another version floating around.