Atlanta Shows?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the Thursday show as well. My buddy Don and I headed all the way up there from Tampa. We planned it a couple months ago, and he was going further north to visit another friend, so the idea originally was to take separate cars. Then I broke my ankle running a 5K over Labor Day weekend, so Don suggested he drive both of us and I fly back. It was a good idea, and not much more expensive than driving.

Still, spending a hundred bucks on transportation alone for a Wilco show made me ask the inevitable question: will it be worth it? I have to say, it was. C'mon, it's Wilco. And Nick Lowe was the best opener I have seen yet for one of their shows.

The crowd was great, and even with a walker boot, I was able to deal with standing for much of the show, broken ankle or not. I took the occasional sitting break, and was fine with that.

One Sunday Morning was pretty cool as an opener, although I have to say I was surprised so much of the crowd stood through it all. Must have been a lot of hardcore fans up front. I agree that it forces you to pay attention, and I enjoyed it. After it ended, I turned to my friend and said, "It takes some balls to open a rock show with a 12-minute mellow song."

The other new songs all sounded good, but I must admit that I still don't see The Whole Love as a strong enough song to be the title track. I would have picked something else, but no matter.

I would have preferred more Summerteeth love, but I'm not complaining. The version of Shot In The Arm was explosive, and so was the crowd. They went bonkers for Misunderstood and Impossible Germany, too. I also have to say that Box Full Of Letters followed by War on War was stellar. BFOL rocked hard. The YHF and AGIB songs were all played pretty much perfectly, and the Being There rockers at the end made me more than a little appreciative of this band. I can recall people on the board here complaining about those songs ending a set (a while back), and I just don't get that. They seriously rocked.

We walked out of there with big grins on our faces, and the crowd was still mostly standing there, calling for more until the lights came up. Great show.

I've seen many Wilco shows and Thursday night was truly one of the best. Box Full of Letters, Muzzle of Bees, some selections from Being There...just out of this world. After Impossible Germany, even Jeff made the comment "beautiful", which you don't often hear from him during the show. And lots of smiles on stage.

Also, did anyone catch what Nels said when he went to the mike?

I've seen many Wilco shows and Thursday night was truly one of the best. Box Full of Letters, Muzzle of Bees, some selections from Being There...just out of this world. After Impossible Germany, even Jeff made the comment "beautiful", which you don't often hear from him during the show. And lots of smiles on stage.

Also, did anyone catch what Nels said when he went to the mike?

Doh! I wish I could've been there.

I've just been a really dedicated fan for a long time (since I was 13, I'm 24 now) and gotten the oppertunity to talk with Jeff several times. He's always been super nice to me, and so the dedication was super cool. The 2nd one I've gotten at a Wilco show! :) Hoping the tape shows up sooner or later. I did see a taper.

I loved ATL, mostly cos our seats were so close. If I could mix all three of the shows together, ATL, and both nights at the Ryman (subtracting one really terrible person behind me) it would be the perfect Wilco show.