Capitol City

Guest McGuffin

I enjoy Capitol City. The harmonies on the group chorus are nice. I also like the way it fades out with the bells. Regardless of what the critics say, it's not a waltz and it's not ragtime. I hear a blend of music hall and pop, and like others have said -- I think it has a fun Beatle-esque bounce to it.

I have to say that I like the bells at the end as well. Who doesn't like bells? But it's a shameful waste of bells tagging them onto Cap City.

Hmm, best use of bells in a song? That might go to The Lantern or I am the Resurrection.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest McGuffin

I like Open Mind and Capitol City...but I think the record would be better without them. I've always prefered by albums to be between forty and forty-five minutes long. Anymore and most records start to sag. Just my, over simplified, opinion.

I Standing O and I feel the album benefits from having it on there. As with 'I'm a Wheel', its not the best track on the record but some times you just need a silly rocker to break up the intensity.

I'd rather have a 75-minute album and be able to pick and choose than have a 9-song, 40-minute album. The more, the merrier.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of "I'm a Wheel," but it's better than What Light, Walken and Cap City.

Absolutely love it. I wasn't totally sold at first, but I played it while driving home from work the other day and found myself belting out the words. I just love the way Jeff sings this one. And I think it lightens the album's mood in a good way and gives it the diversity reminiscent of a Beatles' album. Perfect, IMO.

It's a direct descendant of Pieholden Suite, and Tried and True, although it really doesn't sound like a Wilco song (whatever that means).

I guess we are all a little lazy when we say it sounds like the Beatles or Randy Newman.

Whatever it sounds like, it makes for an interesting lead in to Standing O.

Love it..

Completely agree. They said there were a few background recordings on Capital City during the XM special this last weekend. One was during a fire drill at a hotel in Leeds. The hotel woke everyone up in the middle of the night and called roll. They said you can hear "Wilson...here" looped during the second interlude

It sounds like it could be part of a soundtrack to a children's movie. I get visions of the candyman in Wiilie Wonka, for example.

I actually love Capitol City--it's wormed its way into my head and I like it there.

And speaking of songs in kids movies, does anyone else get a little bit of Just a Kid vibe from Standing O? That comparison probably wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny, but I like these bouncy tunes--not as the main course, but a fun palate cleanser.

Guest McGuffin

It's so corny.

I have a feeling that if anyone other than Wilco did this song, not so many would say they like it.

Well, well. Will you look at that? You made a good post! Hey, Mikey!

Guest McGuffin

Wilco's Capitol City = Pink Floyd's San Tropez

I actually think the Wilco song is the more psychedelic of the two.

I'd agree in that both are departures. Personally, I'd say San Tropez is a much better song. Cap City is just too over the top cheeseball for me.

Start this video just as the song begins, it actually syncs up quite nicely (The tags are a bit annoying, but you can get past them). I've been playing old tourism promo videos over songs lately and it seems to mesh together well in a wonderfully odd way. The 3:00 mark is wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCGr3wJodF0

Wilco's Capitol City = Pink Floyd's San Tropez

I actually think the Wilco song is the more psychedelic of the two.

I knod of see where you're coming from. What is Wilco's 'Seamus'?

And have Wilco ever made an equivalent 'Alans psychedelic breakfast'!!

Guest McGuffin

Reported. I suggest others do the same if they've had enough of this poster.

Are you kidding me? Wow. It's an opinion board, and, frankly, you and several others have come after me in a big way. You even called me an f-ing so and so. I didn't report that post, but it should have been reported. You're an obvious troll anyway who's begging for attention. Yawn.