Capitol City

Guest McGuffin

that's a wuss move

Of course it is, but it's typical message board behavior. It's on every single message board. You know, the board is always the domain of certain people and nobody else unless they bow down to the glitterati. Yawn. I suspect I'll be getting a PM. Whatever makes people feel better.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoy this song and don't find it cheesy at all. For me it comes across as another fine example of Jeff's ability to turn a song's mood on a dime. The song starts with upbeat music as the narrator describes life in the big city without any opinion as to whether this place is good or bad. Then just as he says "I wish you were here with me. Better yet I wish I was there with you," the mood changes completely both lyrically and musically with "You wouldn't like it here..."

And I don't mind competent musicians exploring different musical styles. Especially if they can pull it off. That's one of the things that made groups like The Beatles and Kinks and The Who so essential. At this point Wilco has proven they can take on just about any musical style and come up with something enjoyable to listen to.

I really enjoy this song and don't find it cheesy at all. For me it comes across as another fine example of Jeff's ability to turn a song's mood on a dime. The song starts with upbeat music as the narrator describes life in the big city without any opinion as to whether this place is good or bad. Then just as he says "I wish you were here with me. Better yet I wish I was there with you," the mood changes completely both lyrically and musically with "You wouldn't like it here..." .

That's a great observation. The "better yet" really lays the ground work for change in feeling.

Pitchfork likened Capitol City to Hoagy Carmichael's music and I can see it.

I've also had several friends say it reminds them immediately of The Beatle's When I'm Sixty Four and For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite.

I think that this song is one of the strongest maneuvers Wilco has made, even more so than placing Art Of Almost on The Whole Love. Not only does the nostalgic show-tunes/carnival quality bleed through beautifully, but the schizophrenic mind-changing attitude comes through too. The song plays wonderfully on the contrast of the words and the music.

I don't understand at all the equation a couple people have made of "Capitol City" to "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite." There may be some thematic similarity, and, I don't know, maybe there's some structural similarity that I'm not smart enough to completely appreciate. But the overall vibe of the songs...hmm, hard for me to imagine two songs that are more different. I'm always found Mr. Kite to be one of the more sinister songs I've ever heard. Capitol City...anything but.

Guest McGuffin

I don't understand at all the equation a couple people have made of "Capitol City" to "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite." There may be some thematic similarity, and, I don't know, maybe there's some structural similarity that I'm not smart enough to completely appreciate. But the overall vibe of the songs...hmm, hard for me to imagine two songs that are more different. I'm always found Mr. Kite to be one of the more sinister songs I've ever heard. Capitol City...anything but.

The comparison is that they're both whimsical, odd and throwaways. I don't find Mr. Kite to be at all sinister.

Interesting term. But upon reflection, I could buy off on dangerous. Lennon's song weren't whimsical for the most part.

It sounds like it could be part of a soundtrack to a children's movie. I get visions of the candyman in Wiilie Wonka, for example.

Candyman is one of the best melodies in the history of pop music.

Candyman is one of the best melodies in the history of pop music.

Hey Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse are no slouches. They have written some of the greatest songs ever. This includes "Pure Imagination" which is also from Willie Wonka, which is often still covered by rock bands. Both of the musicals they did "Stop the World I want to Get Off" and "The Roar of the Greasepaint, The Smell of the Crowd" are two of my faves from my youth.

Meanwhile Capital City is pure Randy Newman but I am sure someone else said that already.

LouieB

Guest Jesus Etc

With all of the comparisons made about Capitol City I can't believe I have yet to read the Grateful Dead. When the group sings 'Breathe in that country air' all I can hear is Garcia and Company. This is definitely a song that sounds like Sgt Pepper's (the album) as well. I thought it was a throwaway at first but I have come to love this song. I also like how the tracks on the album are lined up in terms of fast and slow. Art of Almost is a palate cleanser and then the songs alternate between fast tempo and slow tempo. Well done as it is designed to keep your attention throughout the entire album.

One Sunday Morning is the masterpiece on this album IMO though. The song is remarkable in every way.

I really like this song. Alot.

I wasn't too hot about it when I first listened to it, but I really, really like it now.

Open Mind > Capitol > Standing are where TWL sags for me, though. Only a teeny tiny little bit. But Rising Red Lung > The Whole Love > OSM are there to pick the album up and lift it to legendary status.

Well, legendary behind YHF and GIB.

Sounds like Jeff is trying to convince someone that he isn't loving every aspect of city life. "Maybe we should break up"? Oops! Did I say that out loud? Haha

I really like this song! Plenty going on lyrically and musically. Easily, the most interesting song on the record for me!