The Whole Love on Billboard

http://www.billboard.com/artist/wilco/118967#/news/j-cole-blink-182-prepare-to-rock-billboard-1005379702.story

The Whole Love is #6 on the Nielsen SoundScan Building Chart.

The Building Chart reflects the first four days (Monday through Thursday) of SoundScan's tracking week (which ends Sunday) as reported by six major merchants: iTunes, Trans World Entertainment, Best Buy, Starbucks, Target and Anderson Merchandisers. Billboard estimates that they make up about 85% of all U.S. album sales.

Starbucks?

WTA and SBS were sold at Starbucks if I am not mistaken. I have bought extra copies there. I try to buy one from my local record store, as well. (I give away copies now and then to friends.)

http://www.billboard...005384552.story

Wilco's new "The Whole Love" takes a bow at No. 5 with 82,000, marking the fourth top 10 effort for the band. Its last release, "Wilco (The Album)," debuted and peaked at No. 4 off a 99,000 start in 2009.

Well...that is certainly depressing. The Whole Love selling 17,000 less than Wilco (The Album) in its first week?

I know it's not about the scoreboard, and Wilco will never sell as many as a Blink 182, but you'd think that they's sell a bit more than their last release.

Make me want to go lie in nice quiet, dark room somewhere.

I'm surprised given the amount of excellent touring and positive press Wilco has done since the release of WTA.

Anybody know how the Nonesuch promotion budget compares to Anti-/dBpm??

Also, I wonder if Wilco's efforts to promote the vinyl may have helped their bottom line but hurt their Billboard #.

Lastly, who gives a ****. It's already changed my life. I find myself humming different parts/songs every day. It's just a fantastic album, and time will tell as much.

http://www.billboard...005384552.story

Wilco's new "The Whole Love" takes a bow at No. 5 with 82,000, marking the fourth top 10 effort for the band. Its last release, "Wilco (The Album)," debuted and peaked at No. 4 off a 99,000 start in 2009.

Anyone else really surprised by this? What with all the great press, reviews, and buzz the record has gotten? Plus it's just a fantastic record, one of their best. I was taken aback. Really thought this one would crack the 100K mark...

I think this says more about the people who buy music these days rather than any reflection on the record

There was a time not so long ago when there was only one format to buy music in, either LP (prior to the 1980s) and CD (after the major labels discontinued LPs in the 1980s.) You remember those days of yor. Now you can buy an album three different ways.

So I bought two copies on opening night of the release (LP and deluxe CD), which I am guessing a significant number of folks here did also. (The band can send us a thank you letter any time...) That probably skews the figures a bit too. We are talking 10s of thousands of albums not hundreds, so this will inflate the numbers a few percentage points.

Label support is important. Nonesuch is a fairly large imprint of a much larger corporation. Just having the Nonesuch label is a boost to any album based on the reputation of that label. Wilco's "new label" isn't really a label at all, it is an imprint of a smaller label (Anti) which also has a significant amount of cachet, but undoubtedly a smaller PR budget. I am not surprised sales are lower on this release than the last for that reason. Anti just doen't have the muscle behind it that Nonesuch does.

LouieB

Hey, it is the number one Tastemaker album, whatever the hell that means:

http://www.billboard...stemaker-albums

Wilco - The Tastemaker!

Best avatar ever!!!

I'm just going to throw in my expert sales analysis and say the 18% dip in first week sales is primarily due to the 100% decrease of Feist.

Never thought of that but you maybe right. This album should have had a duet with Taylor Swift.