Saving for my dream guitar.

For my birthday last week, I got a gift certificate to a local guitar shop (Fender dealer), and then some cash -- to put towards a guitar. The guitar I have always wanted:

DV016_Jpg_Large_510123.010_natural.jpg

Or, maybe I'll get it in seafoam green. But that natural wood tone is so damn pretty!

Hoping it won't take too long. But it probably will.

I was never a huge fan of the look of those guitars (I like the classic Tele more) but I have never heard one of these that did not sound amazing, and that's really what counts.

That's exactly what I used to want. Somewhere along the way I changed my mind in favor of a more standard Tele, though. Still, the thinlines have a ton of charm, and I agree they sound great.

I was never a huge fan of the look of those guitars (I like the classic Tele more) but I have never heard one of these that did not sound amazing, and that's really what counts.

see i love teles and i love hollowbodies so for me the look is the best of both worlds. but yes, the sound is what really counts.

Todd, i thought your dream guitar was one of those Dan Armstrong clear things.

She is a beauty- which model is it exactly? I think there are several versions of reissues which look similar. Hope it comes sooner rather than later!

It's the 1969 Tele Thinline reissue. (NOT the 1972 reissues, those have humbuckers, and I really don't like the sound of the Fender humbuckers.)

As far as the Dan Armstrong Lucite guitars -- no.

Although, a while ago, I did post about a friend of mine who is building lucite guitars here in Chicago. So maybe that's where you got that idea?

As far as the Dan Armstrong Lucite guitars -- no.

Although, a while ago, I did post about a friend of mine who is building lucite guitars here in Chicago. So maybe that's where you got that idea?

probably. anywyay, the new(est) guitarist of my now defunct(?) band want a lefty lucite tele. I have too many dream guitars to post here, i'd just look like a slut.

I was (mostly) joking. I live on the other side of the big water. $2500. This is not my youtuibe video but it's the same model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtZq5iQG68E.

There are a couple of minor issues with it. PM me if you are interested.

edit to add: just noticed that there is an additional switch next to the pickup selector on the guitar in the vid that my guitar does not have.

That Gretsch is really pretty.

And I love the way they sound.

Sadly, I have the same problem with Gretchs that I do with Rickenbackers and Les Pauls -- I've never played one that really FELT good to me. I mean, I can use them for this or that; borrow one from a friend who has one, or something. But, to OWN one?

It needs to feel right, and none of those (that I have played) ever have.

same here. plus it feels like I have a dead body strapped around my neck. and I don't want to go through that again.

Yeah, they're heavy as hell.

Actually, my Strat (a 1988 Jap-built Squire) is pretty heavy, but nothing approaching a Les Paul.

The only Gibson electric that has ever felt good to me has been a 1993 Lucille model that a friend of mine owned. Now, THAT was a sweet guitar!

gibson_bbking_lucille.gif

I really like my Les Paul. It feels good, and it sounds good, but it digs into my side and it's relatively heavy. SG's, on the other hand,..... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Talking to a friend about building me a custom Thinline from Fender parts.

Aw, yeah!

• 1 month later...

Talking to a friend about building me a custom Thinline from Fender parts.

Aw, yeah!

now that would be sweet!

i've always been fascinated by custom guitars, and guitar building in general. i have 3 hand made acoustics that are really more heirlooms than anything. one built by my great grand-dad and 2 built by my great-grand dad. they aren't shiny or glossy or anything, but they're priceless to me. It neat to think about somebody shaping the wood with their hands, and piecing it together, as opposed to a robot machine putting it together.

I think my dream guitar would probably be like that red sunburst guitar that Jeff plays on "Walken"... that thing is awesome. I don't even know what it is, and I drool over it every time I see it.

I think my dream guitar would probably be like that red sunburst guitar that Jeff plays on "Walken"... that thing is awesome. I don't even know what it is, and I drool over it every time I see it.

That a Gibson Barney Kessel, and it seems to be Jeff's dream guitar, too, as he states in the link below.

http://www.iconicguitar.com/2010/05/jeff-tweedy-gibson-barney-kessel.html