Captain's Dead: "Jeff start over"

I did a search but found no evidence of prior posting of this. This is the reaction to the NPR concert simulcast of some dude at some blog called Captain's Dead.

"blow up wilco, and start anew tweedy, i beg of you. ok, you can keep john and glenn, but the other three dudes gotta go. if you were to tell me back in 94/95 that in 2011 i would no longer give a shit about wilco, i would have slapped ya in the face and kicked in the balls, or vagina. sadly, its gotten to that point though. still with that said, i dont think there was a finer band on the planet than said band from their inception till whenever the hell a ghost was born was released. the whole love, i will admit, is better than their last two, but still pretty forgettable. oh, and for the record, regarding this matter, there is no budging or hemming and hawing, so hold your brea jeff we can still be best friends, please come back…"

http://captainsdead.com/wilco-live-on-all-songs-considered-2011.html

I am not sure about disbanding Wilco but if it did happen, I definitely agree with keeping John and Glenn.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but it seems as though Mr. Samsa wrote it after hearing the NPR show. Either way, it is what he wrote that interests me, not why he wrote it. Sorry for the lack of precision.

I haven't been to Captain's Dead in a long time. It's a great blog. I used to have it in my RSS -- he shares so many great shows over there, a lot of Wilco/UT and a ton of other artists. Some good Springsteen recordings if I recall. Just got too busy to keep up with it over there. The first batch of Wilco bootlegs I owned all came from there. Anyway -- thanks for sharing.

Great website, I like The Whole Love a little more than you do, but the sentiment you expressed is something I can certainly understand. About a year ago I was in the same boat, at least in not caring about the band as much as I once did, I wasn't particularly intrigued by WTA and had listened to the old ones so much I was a bit burned out so I put everything aside for about eight months with the exception of Summerteeth, I'll never give that one up. But I slowly got back into them, and have really enjoyed the newer one.

--Mike

I've resigned myself to the idea that, with SBS, Wilco entered their "Mars Hotel"/ "Steal Your Face" / "Terrapin Station"/ etc... era. That is, they put out albums that fans will either really like or merely find acceptable (depending on taste), but there will be no more grand statements, and each release will inevitably harken back to the foundation established during the golden years. Meanwhile, the live shows will steam on, always being very good.

It could be a lot worse. And I like the last few albums. Bands just inevitably get older and lose a certain restless energy that makes them sound fresh in their earlier years. Wilco's still good, they merely aren't breathtaking anymore.

Good is good enough.*

*Especially given the tumult this band faced between 2000 and 2006, it's incredible that Tweedy et. al. found a way to remain this good in 2011. It's quite amazing, actually, that he and/or the band didn't self-destruct entirely.

yeah, been here since 04, or something. just havent visited in forever. damn kids, job, wife, website, drinking, etc keep me away... glad you dig the site though...

Minus the kids, I know what you mean. I do have other "kids" now, though.

I'm wondering: from what I recall being a former regular at Captain's Dead, you're a big fan of the BT-ST-YHF run, particularly ST and live recordings from the era. I think one can draw several comparisons between ST and TWL in terms of both being pop records with a little noise thrown in there, but otherwise tight songs with good arrangements and layers of sound. Other than "Art of Almost," what else on TWL do you consider to be art-rock? Just wondering.

I respect and understand your viewpoint on the blog, but think tagging the post "f*ck Nels Cline" is a little harsh.

:cheers

firstly, cute pups. secondly, you are correct re: my love for everything up to and including a ghost is born. thirdly, my ears, and they're bad, mind you, dont hear any likeness tween the two, summerteeth and the whole love. sure, "i might" is definitely summerteeth-esque but the rest of it, i just dont hear, but again thats just me.

i actually love that people are still loving wilco and will never put down or question why they do, but for me they just aint cuttin it any more. the last three records are fine records, but not wilco "fine," imo. there are glimpses of the wilco i love but they have been too few and too far in between.

re: art-rock, or whatever you, general, want to call it. nels' whole background is knee deep in said genre and it definitely crosses over. i am just not a fan and my tagging my post with profanities pertaining to mr cline was a joke. as everything i do on my site is actually for my own amusement. if people like it, awesome, if they dont, i dont care. they can go to stereogum...

in the end, i still love em, their first 4 played and continue to play a significant part in my life.

Fair enough! I'll agree with you that the first four are pretty special. Those records were what brought me into the fold in the first place. I appreciate the humor that's regularly exhibited on the blog and the personal tone with which everything is written. Far more interesting than the masturbatory, self-indulgent writing you find on a lot of other blogs.

Bumping my own thread because I get the feeling that my reason for the thread was lost, ignored, mis-interpreted or somesuch. It is great that several people like the Captain's Dead blog. Much love and respect to Gregor. Seriously. If I blogged, it would be beyond unknown (Yes, that's impossible. Both for me to blog and for something to be beyond unknown.).

I found it interesting that: 1) It was presented that Tweedy should disband Wilco and 2) If he did so, it would be acceptable to keep John and Glenn if he so chose.

As I originally posted, I am not sure about disbanding but agree with keeping on the rhythm section, if it ever happens. I love the current Wilco. I also loved the previous Wilcos. Sometimes I think that my favorite Wilco was the 4 piece plus 'computer guy'. But then I think, Jaysus!, what about Jay Bennett? It is difficult, this Wilco love. Maybe it's Tweedy love. What I do know is that John's bass and vocals have always been essential and just get better. I also know that Glenn is the shit. This amazing band somehow improved when Kotche came on board. I can certainly understand how Tweedy fell in love with the drummer, no disrespect to Mr. Coomer intended. I like Nels. The man can play and is fun to watch. Mikael and Pat too. Again, I love this Wilco but I can imagine a great Wilco without Nels, without Mikael and/or without Pat. I cannot imagine a great Wilco without John and Glenn.

Any thoughts?

Bumping my own thread because I get the feeling that my reason for the thread was lost, ignored, mis-interpreted or somesuch. It is great that several people like the Captain's Dead blog. Much love and respect to Gregor. Seriously. If I blogged, it would be beyond unknown (Yes, that's impossible. Both for me to blog and for something to be beyond unknown.).

I found it interesting that: 1) It was presented that Tweedy should disband Wilco and 2) If he did so, it would be acceptable to keep John and Glenn if he so chose.

As I originally posted, I am not sure about disbanding but agree with keeping on the rhythm section, if it ever happens. I love the current Wilco. I also loved the previous Wilcos. Sometimes I think that my favorite Wilco was the 4 piece plus 'computer guy'. But then I think, Jaysus!, what about Jay Bennett? It is difficult, this Wilco love. Maybe it's Tweedy love. What I do know is that John's bass and vocals have always been essential and just get better. I also know that Glenn is the shit. This amazing band somehow improved when Kotche came on board. I can certainly understand how Tweedy fell in love with the drummer, no disrespect to Mr. Coomer intended. I like Nels. The man can play and is fun to watch. Mikael and Pat too. Again, I love this Wilco but I can imagine a great Wilco without Nels, without Mikael and/or without Pat. I cannot imagine a great Wilco without John and Glenn.

Any thoughts?

No

in my tiny little brain, which is the equivalent of a 3rd grader, i can only attribute my distaste for the past few wilco records to nels cline. there is no denying he is a great player, fucking fantastic, but me thinks his heavy handedness in last the few records has been too much for me too bear. maybes its tweedy? maybe its nels? maybe its the fear the world is ending according to the mayan calendar? all i know is the main common denominator re: my lost of love for wilco has been the inclusion of nels cline. coincidence? maybe, but highly doubtful...

I find this thread...distasteful (no...), disquieting?

The band has just released their best work in 10 or more years, and want to blow the band up?

Really?

Maybe you just need to move on.

Or not.

in my tiny little brain, which is the equivalent of a 3rd grader, i can only attribute my distaste for the past few wilco records to nels cline. there is no denying he is a great player, fucking fantastic, but me thinks his heavy handedness in last the few records has been too much for me too bear. maybes its tweedy? maybe its nels? maybe its the fear the world is ending according to the mayan calendar? all i know is the main common denominator re: my lost of love for wilco has been the inclusion of nels cline. coincidence? maybe, but highly doubtful...

Ok, I have a rule, never question anyone's opinion, because that is why music trancends all other mediums. Cant for the life of me grasp this, and again, respect your opinion, but Nels brings it. At a live show, Iget goosebumps when Impossible Germany starts. Used to hate hotel arizona, but when nels inserts his unreal shredding of the song at the end it is pure beauty. Heard a version of I am The man who loves you opened, and shephearded by nels, that will go down in history as the most treasured live wilco moment ever. I am sincere when I say I respect your opinion, and happy to hear it, because the sales for this album are below WTA and I cant figure out why. Enlighten me as to why nels is a problem. I have seen him as a solution for so long maybe I am blind.

I also believe Nels is a big part of the problem. They simply do not need him. He interjects himself and it just sounds out of place. His guitar sound is mostly thin and he is basically a one trick pony. He runs the scales too much for my taste. He does not know the meaning of the word subtle. There is no question that he is extremely talented, I just think he is wrong for the band. The guitar sounds and solos are so much better on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Ghost is Born. This new album is pretty great and he does blend better than he ever has. Give the man a Gibson! I can also do without his pedal steel guitar playing. It's good, but just get it off the Wilco album. I think he works well live, which is probably why they keep him on board. The fans seem to like his guitar bits. I think he needs to go, or at least be out of the country when they are recording.

If "The Whole Love" came out after "Ghost is Born" they wouldn't have missed a beat.

I find this thread...distasteful (no...), disquieting?

The band has just released their best work in 10 or more years, and want to blow the band up?

Really?

Maybe you just need to move on.

Or not.

What's D-man's take on this?