I enjoyed that interview immensely. Thanks for the heads up. Although I've been disappointed in pretty much everything Jay has done since Okemah, I'm still eager for both the Guthrie project and the new Son Volt. I haven't given up on him yet.

Is this the first time he has mentioned he was suppose to be working with Billy Bragg?

To help honor Woody Guthrie's 100th birthday year, you're part of a collaboration between Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Will Johnson (Centro-Matic) and Anders Parker due out in January titled "New Multitudes." Can you tell me a little about how this project came about?

Taking it way back -- back in 1995 I was asked by Billy Bragg's management to write these songs using Woody Guthrie's lyrics. At the time I was just out touring with Son Volt and I was still thinking about it. About a week later I got the news that it was Wilco and Billy Bragg to do the record, so I just put the thought aside for about ten years and later connected with Nora Guthrie. At that point it was kind of an extension of Gob Iron. Anders Parker and I had been working with traditional themes and traditional lyrics and traditional melodies. We were working out different permutations of all that. Anders and I started on the project first, but since that's not our primary focus it kind of just dragged on for a couple of years. We started in 2006 in recording and it sort of evolved to include Jim James and Will Johnson. Jim James got involved when he stopped by the Woody Guthrie Archives and Nora played him some stuff that Anders and I had done. It evolved to a point where it is now.

This was a good interview. It seems like Farrar was pretty open and relaxed. I did get to hear that Kerouac album he did with Gibbard and enjoyed it. I haven't ever really been a big fan of Son Volt or his solo stuff. Perhaps getting older has mellowed him out over time. However I still don't think well ever see an Uncle Tupelo reunion. I think Jeff & Jay could get along, but each guy is in different places in their lives. I also wonder if Heidorn would want to play with Farrar again after he was fired from Son Volt a few years ago.

The Kerouac record is gorgeous. Absolutely loved it.

I really want Son Volt to tour again soon. It's been a few years since I've seen them. The last time they came through town I got to talk to Jay, and was really surprised by how friendly he was.

It seems like a lot of alt-country acts have been involved with the Guthrie thing now. By extension, the Old 97's were involved in the sense that they were asked by Billy Bragg to be his back up band on the tour in the UK but their work visas got denied.

We're approaching the 20th Anniversary of the recording of "March 16-20, 1992".

In my fantasyland, I imagine Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy meeting at Peter Buck's home studio in March, 2012 to record a batch of songs for an album to released later in the year. Heidorn also shows up for percussion. Henneman and Buck offer added musicianship where needed. Buck produces.

Whereas "March 16-20, 1992" dealt with struggles of American workers and perhaps foreshadowed Tupelo's break-up (Fatal Wound and Wipe The Clock), "March, 2012" would focus more on acceptance and forgiveness.

If anybody knows anybody who knows Peter Buck, plant this seed in his ear. One can dream right?

The Kerouac record is gorgeous. Absolutely loved it.

Agreed. Some of his best work in years actually. Not necessarily one of Kerouacs better books, but one of Farrat's better albums of late.

20 years since March? Gawd, I am getting old.

LouieB

• 2 months later...

Jay Farrar, Jim James and Friends Rework Woody Guthrie’s Lyrics

Jay Farrar, Jim James, Centro-matic’s Will Johnson and Varnaline’s Anders Parker will come together for a centennial tribute to folk pioneer Woody Guthrie. Set for release on February 28 via Rounder, the 12-song New Multitudes is billed as “an intimate interpretation of American icon and musical legend Woody Guthrie’s previously unrecorded lyrics.” A limited edition version of the album will also feature notebooks, scratch pads, napkins and other goodies. “These guys worked on an amazing group of lyrics” Guthrie daughter Nora said in a statement. “Much of it was culled from Woody’s times in L.A. Lyric wise, it’s a part of the story that is still mostly unknown. From Woody’s experiences on LA’s skid row to his later years in Topanga Canyon, they are uniquely intimate, and relate two distinctly emotional periods in his life.” Several different artists have reworked Woody Guthrie’s lyrics over the years, most notable Wilco and Billy Bragg on Mermaid Avenue.

Here’s a look at New Multitudes track listing

1. Hoping Machine

2. Fly High

3. My Revolutionary Mind

4. VD City

5. Old L.A.

6. Talking Empty Bed Blues

7. Chorine

8. Careless Reckless Love

9. Angel’s Blues

10. No Fear

11. Changing World

12. New Multitudes

i hope jay reeled yim yames in a bit for this guthrie project. not sure about will johnson's involvement, although, ben gibbard was an interesting choice. never understood the appeal of anders parker. for some reason i've always considered jay the real deal similar to dylan, springsteen as great american songwriters. not sure the others fit in. looking forward to this though. also new son volt :)

Excited to hear more Son Volt. Been listening to Straightaways and it sounds so great. I fear Jay won't ever be able to match the greatness of the early Volt records, but I know there will be great moments.

Only kinda excited about the Guthrie album. Wilco and Bragg set the bar pretty high...not that the albums should be compared, but will be impossible not to. I liked the mix of personal/human songs (Wilco) and political songs (Bragg) chosen on the Mermaid discs. Curious what the lyrical vibe will be on this one.

this news got me back to checking out sebastopol and the search. the search stands up...especially with earphones. when it came out i really thought it sounded too slick and poppy. sebastopol is a bit over produced for my taste. i love those tunes stripped down though. Barstow is in the same league as windfall and meth.

as far as jay putting something out on par with trace...he's just changed now. he sings differently and he's mellowed a bit. american central dust was a good latter day son volt record.

this news got me back to checking out sebastopol and the search. the search stands up...especially with earphones. when it came out i really thought it sounded too slick and poppy. sebastopol is a bit over produced for my taste. i love those tunes stripped down though. Barstow is in the same league as windfall and meth.

as far as jay putting something out on par with trace...he's just changed now. he sings differently and he's mellowed a bit. american central dust was a good latter day son volt record.

I would put Jukebox of Steel up there with Volt's earlier works...excited for the new album!

i hope jay reeled yim yames in a bit for this guthrie project. not sure about will johnson's involvement, although, ben gibbard was an interesting choice. never understood the appeal of anders parker. for some reason i've always considered jay the real deal similar to dylan, springsteen as great american songwriters. not sure the others fit in. looking forward to this though. also new son volt :)

I predict Will Johnson will own this record.

Oh man I loved that record he did with Gibbard. Surprisingly, they complimented each other very well.

I thought the last SV release was a little underwhelming for some reason, the songs were good, but it didn't stand out for me. The one before that I liked a lot (though the name escapes me as I type, and I'm too lazy to go back in the thread).

I hope they tour extensively and come back through Chattanooga. I never miss them when they're through, though I can't say I'd travel to Nashville or Atlanta to see them.

Just wondering here...

Does Jay/Son Volt have a fan based message board?

Do the posters there give any thought or posting time to all matters Wilco?

Just wondering here... Does Jay/Son Volt have a fan based message board? Do the posters there give any thought or posting time to all matters Wilco?
www.jayfarrar.net I rarely post there anymore but at one time I was akin to Sir Stewart, bobbob or cryptique in terms of post count. I think that I am still 3rd or 4th there in total posts. In it's heyday, until, oh 2008 or 9, there were rabid Jay-acolytes that became apoplectic with every Wilco/Tweedy-related thread. "This a Farrar board", "Tweedy sucks", blah, blah, blah. They are all gone now or at least have mellowed allowing Tweedy/Wilco to be discussed in a civil, mostly positive manner. Plenty of Wilco fans there but plenty of non-Tweedy fans also. Now it is a place for calm, rational music discussion with very little threads on anything else. It used to be like VC. Meaning a place where the same people cyber-met to bullshit about everything. Diverse personalities and views leading to arguments and showing of asses, albeit on a much smaller scale than VC. I spent way too much time there just gabbing with friends for about 4 years. Check it out. It could use some CrowDaddy.

edit I remember the derisive "twats for tweedy" used to describe those posters saying anything vaguely complimentary.