I'll be listening to "Pack Up the Plantation" later today. RIP TP.

First time I saw him was in 86 on tour with Dylan. He did an acoustic version of "The Waiting" and "Breakdown" that was fantastic.

I saw that tour as well. I thought Tom Petty was so much better than Bob Dylan that night!

I was never a huge fan, but I remember being at a craft show about 10 years ago and they were playing some sort of "Tom Petty's Greatest Hits" and it was just one great song after another. I realized then how much I really did like his music. I only saw him twice, the tour with Dylan and once even earlier that in early 1983. I really enjoyed the Traveling Wilburys as well...spent many fun nights jamming with some friends playing Wilburys tunes.

*edited to fix typos. Darn small font size!*

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder why they played it in that key - seems to be too high for Jeff to sing comfortably, and it's a higher key than the original...

My guess is that Jeff liked to sing it live then because he could belt it out like a punk rocker vs. singing more of his sad, mellow country tunes in the middle to low-end of his vocal range.

the only two times i saw TP, i thought he was fine but unfortunately was upstaged by the opening band each time (Replacements in '89; My Morning Jacket in '10).

still, you can't deny he was a master craftsman who wrote a lot of great songs and put together a lasting band who was the perfect fit. 

the pic i posted was backstage in 1989. the replacements did half a brilliant set then....the trouble started. mats in a nutshell, haha. petty was great that night too.

I only got to see Tom on the Echo tour.  What a show!  I remember when that album was about to come out and they were scheduled to play on SNL.  I was only a casual fan of a TP fan at the time, but I had never been so excited about a music performance on TV.   I guess I was really craving some good old fashioned rock and roll after having gone through most of the '90s as an indie rock listener.  I thought they absolutely slayed that night, and it made me love Tom and his band so much.  They played Room at the Top and Swingin'.  Swingin' is OK, but kind of a goofy song, but when they played the guitar solo section in Room at the Top it hit the spot so perfectly.  It was the personification of everything I love about rock and roll music and gave me such joy. I only wish I had been able to see more shows. 

Thanks for that, Tom.  Rest in Peace.

First time I saw him was in 86 on tour with Dylan. He did an acoustic version of "The Waiting" and "Breakdown" that was fantastic.

Yeah, caught the 2 RFK shows. Dylan sounded like shit, but Petty/Heartbreakers were right on. First time I'd heard "Spike." And, loved it. Saw him walking around The Mall early the day of the second show holding hands with some chick and liked how he was just one of the peeps, in army cargo shorts and a tee.

Also saw the 89 summer tour with the Replacements opening at Poplar Creek. All around great concert. Always loved the lawn seating there, lots of fine memories.

Wilco covers Tom Petty last night:

https://pitchfork.com/news/watch-wilco-cover-tom-pettys-the-waiting/

Apologies if this has been posted already, but it's been one of those weeks. ;)

I really enjoyed this cover. I have been feeling that Tom got short shrift on the news due to wall to wall Las Vegas coverage, so spent some time on you tube last night reminiscing over my favorite TP songs. I had totally forgotten about Listen to Her Heart - what a great song!

Saw TP three times - once with Dylan in 86 (Dylan was much worse in the late 80s/early 90s in concert - he was unintelligible in the early years of the Neverending Tour), once on the Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) tour in 87(?), and once on the 89 tour with The Replacements opening (I was stoked to see The Replacements for the first time at that one). The 87 show was by far the best TP show of the three.

Wilco covers Tom Petty last night:

https://pitchfork.com/news/watch-wilco-cover-tom-pettys-the-waiting/

Apologies if this has been posted already, but it's been one of those weeks. ;)

I really enjoyed this cover. I have been feeling that Tom got short shrift on the news due to wall to wall Las Vegas coverage, so spent some time on you tube last night reminiscing over my favorite TP songs. I had totally forgotten about Listen to Her Heart - what a great song!

Nice cover! thanks!

Drive By Truckers played The Waiting and Southern Accents last night here in Lexington. Really sweet.

I'm glad to hear everyone's not just playing The Waiting.  The Waiting is a great song, totally worthy of being covered, but just like when Bowie died and everyone was playing Space Oddity (sorry Wilco, but you're guilty, too) it got a bit tedious.

I don't mean that as negatively as it probably seems.  Petty has dozens of great songs.  Bowie had dozens of great songs.  Spotlighting that fact is a better tribute than everyone playing the same song.

I'm glad to hear everyone's not just playing The Waiting.  The Waiting is a great song, totally worthy of being covered, but just like when Bowie died and everyone was playing Space Oddity (sorry Wilco, but you're guilty, too) it got a bit tedious.

I don't mean that as negatively as it probably seems.  Petty has dozens of great songs.  Bowie had dozens of great songs.  Spotlighting that fact is a better tribute than everyone playing the same song.

Don't let it kill you, baby, don't let it get to you.

For those of you that haven't yet read this, it is a brilliant piece. Enjoy.

http://bittersoutherner.com/from-the-southern-perspective/music/like-sonny-liston-tom-petty-patterson-hood

Nice to hear Hood's perspective as a musician and fan. Allmans were a better Southern Rock Band. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, tho written by a Canadian, is a better song about the South than Southern Accents, a great song too. Love Johnny Cash's version as well. 

I enjoyed this spontaneous cover. Seems appropriate that it went into Not Fade Away.

https://youtu.be/7Hc15jne7IM

Also, Tom Petty at Winterland 12/30/78, the night before the Dead closed the place out:

https://youtu.be/7Hc15jne7IM

Surrender is such a great tune. Weird it didn't get an official release for almost 25 years. 

I watched that whole Winterland show that night he passed. That's a REALLY nice example of early Heartbreakers. I was like WOW on his "rap" during the Dark End of the Street cover. So young and full of piss and vinegar. 

SNL cold opening is Jason Aldean talking about Vegas and playing Won't Back Down.  Very nice.  Also the Florida Gators had a nice tribute between quarters of their game with the crowd singing Wont Back DOwn. 

A friend of mine works the stage/sets for the studio and said he had chills running through his body during the rehearsal of it, even. He reported that the rehearsal had a bunch of people stopping their jobs and admiring the hell out of what they were doing....

Here's a clip of Bob Weir and Phil Lesh and folks giving a nod to Tom this past weekend, as well:

https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-weir-phil-lesh-honor-tom-petty