• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There may be a few floating around about Turner hitting one's wife, too.

Of all the things that I have saw/read/heard since Petty's death, his talk/interview with Garry Shandling has been my favorite. Never saw it prior to his death. They had to be stoned to the gills or as Petty said at the end: "Two farmers on acid"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIvNe569Q9g&feature=youtu.be

Of all the things that I have saw/read/heard since Petty's death, his talk/interview with Garry Shandling has been my favorite. Never saw it prior to his death. They had to be stoned to the gills or as Petty said at the end: "Two farmers on acid"

I set you up for that one. Saw the Shandling video too. Great stuff. Need more high celebrities hanging out videos. 

There's a line that Tom says, right at the beginning, right as they're walking into the house, that I swear I remember Dylan saying, but I don't remember where it was (it's either in the Scorsese documentary, or in Don't Look Back...)

Something about "it's going to all come at you fast, and you're not going to remember everything..."

My memory is telling me that it's from an interview with a British journalist, who might be asking him about his live 1/2 acoustic, 1/2 amped shows in '66...

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

There's a line that Tom says, right at the beginning, right as they're walking into the house, that I swear I remember Dylan saying, but I don't remember where it was (it's either in the Scorsese documentary, or in Don't Look Back...)

Something about "it's going to all come at you fast, and you're not going to remember everything..."

My memory is telling me that it's from an interview with a British journalist, who might be asking him about his live 1/2 acoustic, 1/2 amped shows in '66...

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Think it may be the below that you are referring to --- I didn't catch Petty saying that - need to re-watch it.

http://10point1.blogspot.com/2010/10/really-truth-is-just-plain-picture-bob.html

Transcript Bob Dylan TIME Magazine Interview — Documentary “Don’t Look Back”

—————————————————

Dylan: You gunna see the concert tonight?

TM: Yeah.

Dylan: You gunna hear it?

Dylan: Okay your hear it, see it, and it’s gunna happen fast and your not gunna get it all, and you might even hear the wrong words. You know? And then afterwards.. See I’m.. I wont be able to talk to you afterwards, ive got nothing to say about these things I write, I mean I just write them, I’m not gunna say anything about them, I don’t write them for any reason, there’s no great message. If you wanna tell people that go ahead and tell them, but I’m not gunna have to answer to it. And there just gunna think “well what is this time magazine telling us.” But you couldn’t careless about that either, you don’t know the people that read you.

Dylan: Cause you know, I’ve never been in TIME Magazine, and yet this hall is filled twice, you know, Ive never been in time magazine, I don’t need time magazine and I don’t think I’m a folk singer, you’ll probably call me a folk singer but to the other people..no better, cause, you know, the people that buy my records and listen to me don’t necessarily read TIME Magazine.

Think it may be the below that you are referring to --- I didn't catch Petty saying that - need to re-watch it.

http://10point1.blogspot.com/2010/10/really-truth-is-just-plain-picture-bob.html

Transcript Bob Dylan TIME Magazine Interview — Documentary “Don’t Look Back”

—————————————————

Dylan: You gunna see the concert tonight?

Dylan: You gunna hear it?

Dylan: Okay your hear it, see it, and it’s gunna happen fast and your not gunna get it all, and you might even hear the wrong words. You know? And then afterwards.. See I’m.. I wont be able to talk to you afterwards, ive got nothing to say about these things I write, I mean I just write them, I’m not gunna say anything about them, I don’t write them for any reason, there’s no great message. If you wanna tell people that go ahead and tell them, but I’m not gunna have to answer to it. And there just gunna think “well what is this time magazine telling us.” But you couldn’t careless about that either, you don’t know the people that read you.

Dylan: Cause you know, I’ve never been in TIME Magazine, and yet this hall is filled twice, you know, Ive never been in time magazine, I don’t need time magazine and I don’t think I’m a folk singer, you’ll probably call me a folk singer but to the other people..no better, cause, you know, the people that buy my records and listen to me don’t necessarily read TIME Magazine.

Wow, nice one. That's it exactly. Tom says something similar right at the 1:25 mark. My poor memory thought they were the same.

Man, that poor journalist. Every time the camera cuts to him, his expression just looks like "fuccccckkkkk, why did I request this assignment?"

I saw Don't Look Back on TV a couple weeks ago. That whole Dylan/Time Magazine interaction kind of made me hate him.  He was a raging asshole and liar to everyone outside of his clique at that time, and maybe always has been. 

He redeemed himself somewhat in my eyes, via Tom Petty's death, thanks to my listening to Traveling Wilburys so much over the last week.  He has a sense of humor on those tracks that is sorely lacking in Don't Look Back.

Regarding Dylan and Don't Look Back (65-66 in general) - I think drugs and him being surrounded with a bunch with a bunch of yes-men had a lot to do with his ass-holeness. (I agree his comes off as a asshole).

After listening to the live 66 box set - it's a wonder he survived - he was a mess.

I set you up for that one. Saw the Shandling video too. Great stuff. Need more high celebrities hanging out videos. 

Loved it. Could've watched that for hours. Didn't know Petty smoked like fish though. Damn.

I saw Don't Look Back on TV a couple weeks ago. That whole Dylan/Time Magazine interaction kind of made me hate him.  He was a raging asshole and liar to everyone outside of his clique at that time, and maybe always has been. 

He redeemed himself somewhat in my eyes, via Tom Petty's death, thanks to my listening to Traveling Wilburys so much over the last week.  He has a sense of humor on those tracks that is sorely lacking in Don't Look Back.

Has Dylan made a statement?

In the Don't Look Back era it's like Dylan was pissed that he had become Dylan. He writes Masters of War and then claims not to be a protest singer.  ?

Per Rolling Stone: (I think Dylan was one of the first ones to make a statement - before he was 'really' dead.)

“It’s shocking, crushing news,” Dylan said in a statement to Rolling Stone. “I thought the world of Tom. He was great performer, full of the light, a friend, and I’ll never forget him.”

Has Dylan made a statement?

In the Don't Look Back era it's like Dylan was pissed that he had become Dylan. He writes Masters of War and then claims not to be a protest singer.  ?

Yeah, that bugged me.  He had loads of protest songs, and songs with clear societal messages, and then lies his ass off about just trying to be an entertainer for people who he claims couldn't care less about the messages in his songs.  Easily disproven loads of bollocks, all of it.  I'm just so sick of this cagey obfuscation and dickheadedness towards everyone.  I got my fill of that as a youngster in the '90s. I can't take it anymore. I wish I hadn't rewatched this film.

No doubt Dylan treated people badly in those years and he could be a mean asshole.  Its pretty well known, though, that it was all a protective mechanism, even if it was an immature one.  I find it hard to judge him too harshly because not many people can ever know what its like to be that famous at that young an age, let alone be saddled with the insane expectations of being labeled the "spokesman for your generation".  That kind of pressure is unfathomable to most folks, I think.

As far as his ridiculous claims that he was not a protest singer, I don't believe he really meant that, I think he was just trying to deal with/ fuck with the clueless mainstream media and how they tried to put everyone and everything in a clearly labeled box, something that is the antithesis of what I believe were Dylan's artistic intentions.  "You know something is happening here but you don't know what it is, do you Mr. Jones?"

But back to TP and the Heartbreakers, check out this audio of the last night of the 20 night Fillmore run in 1997 when I believe the Heartbreakers took the mantle of the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band from the Stones and a rock band that originated in the mid 70s attained the same status and level as their early 60s rock 'n' roll progenitor heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19G4L27gW1k

No doubt Dylan treated people badly in those years and he could be a mean asshole.  Its pretty well known, though, that it was all a protective mechanism, even if it was an immature one.  I find it hard to judge him too harshly because not many people can ever know what its like to be that famous at that young an age, let alone be saddled with the insane expectations of being labeled the "spokesman for your generation".  That kind of pressure is unfathomable to most folks, I think.

As far as his ridiculous claims that he was not a protest singer, I don't believe he really meant that, I think he was just trying to deal with/ fuck with the clueless mainstream media and how they tried to put everyone and everything in a clearly labeled box, something that is the antithesis of what I believe were Dylan's artistic intentions.  "You know something is happening here but you don't know what it is, do you Mr. Jones?"

Thanks for articulating this.