he's definitely one of the few artists that has not had any big mis-steps over decades with drastically different production values. not to mention the dude can write a tight rock single every time out. mojo was a bit too long, but still had some great songs on it. highway companion is also just a tight easy album to listen to.

i didn't notice anything about mudcrutch on that twitter report.

There will be a seventh season of his "Tom Petty`s Buried Treasure Radio Show" on SiriusXM. And there will "definitely" be more activity for his band Mudcrutch -- "maybe even next year" -- and "absolutely" some Blu-ray releases of his albums.

I'd say there is at least one of his albums I can't stand - Into The Great Wide Open.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd say there is at least one of his albums I can't stand - Into The Great Wide Open.

Might that be due to it being played to death on MTV and the radio?

Of do you not like the Jeff Lyne production?

I'd say both of those things probably. I also have this thing where if all the songs seem to rhyme, it bugs me.

I think Stan said something in the documentary a few years ago about those how when he got into the Lynne method, and all the overdubbing, that he sort of lost his way.

Re: Stan Lynch, overdubs and Petty losing his way for awhile: As good as the Heartbreakers still are with Steve Ferrone, they lost a lot, IMO, when they lost Stan. He's got such flair, yet he still remains rather simple, basic and solid in his drumming. Listen to what he could do on the live version of Nightwatchman from the recent live box set, just killer. And he had a great knack for what good rock 'n' roll is. Let Me Up is a rather weak album that didn't stand the test of time, IMO. But word has it that Stan and Benmont wanted it to be more of a hard rock record without the lame 80s keyboard overdubs, and many songs were recorded raw and live in the studio for the sessions that they liked, but Mike and Tom wanted other, more synthy tracks and they, of course, won out. If you have the first box set, Playback, with its outtakes from the sessions, you can create a tracklisting that is probably similar to what Stan and Benmont had in mind for that record (too bad we can't remove the 80s keyboards). It'd go something like:

Jammin' Me

Got My Mind Made Up

Think About Me

Ways To Be Wicked

Ain't Love Strange

Can't Get Her Out

It'll All Work Out

How Many More Days

Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)

Make That Connection

Re: Stan Lynch, overdubs and Petty losing his way for awhile: As good as the Heartbreakers still are with Steve Ferrone, they lost a lot, IMO, when they lost Stan.

Agreed. Stan Lynch plays with more finesse and swing than Ferrone. I'm a little put off by Ferrone on Wildflowers (which might have been Rick Rubin's fault, and granted, that's not a Heartbreakers album). The drums are plodding and mixed too loud. Ferrone fit in better with Petty and the band on Echo, imo.

i actually like jeff lynn's production. it was nice to have the snare drum up front in the mix and not gated! also, i like the strummed 12 string on basically every tune he produces. into the great wide open is great. i can see folks not liking it, but you have to admit it's solid.

one interesting thing about petty is that i've heard him too much. i was in high school when full moon fever came out so i'm so burned out on that album...even though its great. i guess that's why i like some of his less popular and more recent albums. Let Me Up is great as is Southern Accents, even with its cheese.

I don't much care for Full Moon Fever either. It's too polished and it's one of those album I've heard too many times.

I suppose the neat thing is - the band has several different sounds/periods, thus - there is something for everyone.

I am partial to the live (live sounding) later day stuff. Although - Damn The Torpedoes is a great album - maybe the best one - certainly of the early period.

Almost all Petty albums have at least one of what I think is an under-appreciated gem of a composition that I'd freak out to hear live. For Into The Great Wide Open, its You and I Will Meet Again. In addition to Jeff Lynne's production, part of what makes the record what it is is that the entire band was reportedly never in the room at the same time at any point during its making, as the tension with Stan was nearing a breaking point.

Yeah, I don't think very much of the Last DJ overall, it has a bunch of songs that I think are subpar for Petty and several that are just OK, but it also has Like A Diamond and Dreamville, which are two of his very best ballads, IMO. Those two songs alone make the album worth having. I also dig Have Love Will Travel for lots of reasons, but maybe the most for a lyric that just hits home so deeply for me: "How 'bout a cheer for all those bad girls and the boys that play that rock 'n' roll/ they love it like you love Jesus/ it does the same thing to their soul"

The music is pretty good on Lost Children and Can't Stop The Sun, too.

• 6 months later...

I'm reading the Paul Zollo book Conversations With Tom Petty. Not sure why its taken me so long to get around to it, but I think its fantastic! It actually makes a nice companion piece to the Peter Bogdanovich documentary, giving more details about some particular time periods and not too excessive at duplicating the same information.

I wish they would release all the original Mudcrutch recordings. I found a bunch of them on YouTube and its sounds like there are some good songs in there. I didn't know about Jeff Healy covering one of them, Lost In Your Eyes, either.

http://youtu.be/D484LJBgZxA

Doesn't Mike play Dusenberg's (sic)?

• 7 months later...

"I don't want to do a 'greatest hits' night," Petty says of the New York and L.A. shows. "We should push ourselves, do things we don't even remember. It's about getting the best out of the band and to show people there are a lot of sides to us, the different kinds of music this band can play. We are a very good blues band. And we're a pretty good bluegrass band, believe it or not. We just don't get a chance to do that very much. You only get so much time in a concert – you can't do everything in one night. But I'm just gonna go where the wind blows us."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/blogs/alternate-take/tom-petty-plots-intimate-summer-tour-theres-no-telling-what-well-do-20130228#ixzz2ME3RYGpq

I am SO STOKED about this!!! I've been praying for TP to mix it up again, he usually neglects such a huge part of his song catalog in his live shows. Oh, boy, how am I gonna afford all these shows at the Fonda Theater in LA?

There's a 6/23 show at Saratoga Performing Arts Center which is Sunday night after Solid Sound wraps up.

It's about a 90 minute drive from MASS MoCA and a nice summer venue. So tempting.

First place I ever saw Petty play too. 

these residency shows sound great.  i'm hard pressed to think of another artist who has maintained such a high caliber of creativity other than tom petty.  the dude has had hit songs in 4 decades and they are all good songs!  if he did do an entire album, i guess damn the torpedoes or full moon fever would be contenders.  he's also seems like a great guy.

Petty's XM/Sirius radio show is very good. 

That 4 disc live set that Lammycat mentioned is very good, also it is very nicely priced, too.

yeah, like $20? That's crazy for all that good music. There is a bunch of good covers on there, you really get a sense of how well they know their music history.

Another smokin' deal is the 4 hour Bogdanovich documentary Runnin' Down A Dream with a bonus DVD of a full concert and a little EP or rarities for $10 on Amazon.