I love TP as well and happy he is actually going to switch it up a bit.  Last few times I saw him it was like 1:30 shows with no surprises, same sets each night and It has bothered me.  I always hoped he would be more like Bruce and play longer and different sets.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got two tix for the Sunday night show in LA, $100 each, no fan club fees (I hate that shit). Tried for the last night of the run, but nothing came up except VIP tix for $300 each (I hate that shit even more). At least I'm there for 1 night and I'll keep trying for a second show.

Stoked!

I was watching some of Mike Campbell Guitar Collection videos today. That guy has some nice guitars. Too bad you have to pay some bucks and sign up at the website to see all the videos. I guess there are 15 segments all together.

He often shares sentences (and fans) with Bruce Springsteen, but even this Springsteen fanatic must admit that it’s Petty who exudes the regular-guy cool that Bruce has (ironically) tried so hard to personify.

What a great observation.

I love the music, but I've lost a lot of respect for Petty over the past few years. In the "Conversations" book and The Last DJ album he made a big deal about ticket prices, VIP sections, etc, even calling bands like the Eagles (who I loathe) "greed heads". A few years later his ticket prices skyrocket and his shows feature expensive VIP circles.

When Money Becomes King indeed...

I love the music, but I've lost a lot of respect for Petty over the past few years. In the "Conversations" book and The Last DJ album he made a big deal about ticket prices, VIP sections, etc, even calling bands like the Eagles (who I loathe) "greed heads". A few years later his ticket prices skyrocket and his shows feature expensive VIP circles.

When Money Becomes King indeed...

I also have a hard time with this apparent hypocrisy. This paid fan club stuff is pure greedy bullshit, in my view. Lots of bands that I thought stood for integrity have caved in to it, like U2 and Petty and My Morning Jacket. I'm extremely reluctant to call "sellout" without having all the facts and also because I can never really know what someone's intentions are, but its hard not to come to that conclusion when you look at things on the surface. Its pretty disappointing.

I also have a hard time with this apparent hypocrisy. This paid fan club stuff is pure greedy bullshit, in my view. Lots of bands that I thought stood for integrity have caved in to it, like U2 and Petty and My Morning Jacket. I'm extremely reluctant to call "sellout" without having all the facts and also because I can never really know what someone's intentions are, but its hard not to come to that conclusion when you look at things on the surface. Its pretty disappointing.

I wonder if it is the promoter or the artist that push these vip things?

Well, hell.  How else could Mike Campbell have afforded to buy a 1959 Les Paul that "cost more than his house"?

http://www.tompetty.com/news/title/imike-campbell-the-guitarsi-chapter-11-begging-to-be-played-the-1959-gibson-les-paul

The Black Crowes do the VIP bullshit, but their regular tix are $60-$70 and that's up about $15 from 2010. At least they don't have a paid fan club (I don't think they do). Wilco also keep ticket prices reasonable and don't do the fanclub bullshit and they treat their fans very very well. MMJ, even though they joined in on the paid fanclub, are still very good to their fans, too, giving away downloaded recordings to all ticketholders at certain shows.

For me, it's the fact that for decades he cultivated a sort of man of the people vibe. If artists are greedy from the get-go, I just avoid them. Petty completely betrayed his own ethos. Neil Young is guilty of the same thing. Prices for his acoustic shows (with minimal production/crew costs) are just ridiculous. So as much as I love the music, they'll never get another penny from me.

Integrity is a huge factor in my love for Wilco. They do lots of benefit/charity work, long and varied shows, and other than S. Sound I don't think i've ever paid more than $40 for a ticket. Hell, 3 days at Solid Sound is cheaper than a ticket for one show by most other bands these days.

Best paid fanclub was REM.  for $10 got a holiday card, free vinyl/cd single of unreleased stuff an prioirty tickets. I scored a pair in the first row, fourth row, and eight row the three times I took advantage and too boot the tickets had less fees then TM!

Just scored tickets for the last night at the Beacon...no fan club or other bs needed...anyone going to Beacon? :guitar

Oh ... I wish!!! 

Enjoy, and I hope you fill us in on the awesomeness afterwards! 

• 1 year later...

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Announce Album, Tour

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers will hit the road late this summer in support of their forthcoming studio album, Hypnotic Eye. The record—the band’s first in four years—will be available on July 29 via Reprise Records. Steve Winwood will opem the extended run.

Petty & The Heartbreakers will kick off their tour on the West Coast before working their way through Canada. The group will then swing through the East Coast and the South as they make their way to Los Angeles, where they will close things out at The Forum. The band has also scheduled headlining slots at Outside Lands and the Lockn’ Festival.

Tickets for most of the shows will go on sale Saturday, May 31.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Tour

August 03 San Diego, CA—Viejas Arena
August 05 Boise, ID—Taco Bell Arena
August 07 Eugene, OR—Matthew Knight Center
August 09 San Francisco, CA—Outside Lands
August 12 Portland, OR—Moda Center
August 14 Vancouver, BC—Rogers Arena
August 15 George, WA—The Gorge
August 17 Edmonton, AB—Rexall Place
August 19 Calgary, AB—Scotiabank Saddledome
August 21 Winnipeg, MB—MTS Centre
August 23 Chicago, IL—United Center
August 26 Toronto, ONT—Air Canada Centre 
August 28 Montreal, QC—Bell Centre
August 30 Boston, MA—Fenway Park
September 06 Arrington, VA—Lockn’ Festival
September 07 Darien Center, NY—Darien Lake PAC
September 10 New York, NY—Madison Square Garden
September 13 Hartford, CT—XL Center
September 15 Philadelphia, PA—Wells Fargo Arena
September 18 Raleigh, NC—PNC Arena 
September 20 West Palm Beach, FL—Cruzan Amphitheater
September 21 Tampa, FL—Tampa Bay Times Forum
September 23 Nashville, TN—Bridgestone Arena
September 25 Houston, TX—Toyota Center
September 26 Dallas, TX—American Airlines Center
September 28 Tulsa, OK—BOK Center
September 30 Kansas City, MO—Sprint Center
October 01 Lincoln, NE—Pinnacle Bank Arena
October 07 Anaheim, CA—Honda Center
October 10 Los Angeles, CA—The Forum

Last holdouts are Springsteen top us tickets are around $100 and Phish never over $60/70...

Springsteen tickets here in Tampa were about $150 for the show earlier this month, and Tampa is a secondary or even tertiary market....another reason I decided to pass. Prices might be even higher elsewhere.

I checked Ticketmaster for the prices to the upcoming Petty show so I could let a buddy of mine know about it: sure enough, good seats are about $150.

I'm always a little surprised that these guys are able to sell tickets at such prices. I know they have fans, and have some written some classic songs, but I'm personally not a big enough fan of either to even consider paying that much.