• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yet another reason why festivals like Lockn' are such an amazing deal, if you'vee got the stamina to slog through them. $249 for 4 days, with Petty headlining one day. Not to mention all the rest (cough) Wilco x 2 (cough).

When Money Becomes King.

What a great song, Tom. What's it about again?

Hey man...he like...is totally...giving you the new album with the price of the ticket. That is pretty far out.

When Money Becomes King.

What a great song, Tom. What's it about again?

The hypocrisy stings a bit. The "golden circle" seats are going to be $130+. That said... I'll (hopefully) be at the Fenway show. 

their target audience are people in their 50's who probably go to 2-3 shows a year, so dropping that cash on a ticket isn't a big deal.

That's about as fair a statement as: "wilco fans are a bunch of middle-aged dads."

Yet another reason why festivals like Lockn' are such an amazing deal, if you'vee got the stamina to slog through them. $249 for 4 days, with Petty headlining one day. Not to mention all the rest (cough) Wilco x 2 (cough).

Oh, yeah, I would be all over that if I lived anywhere near it: Furthur, Ratdog, Phil & Friends, Wilco, CRB, Drive-By Truckers, The Allmans...what's not to love?

"Not to mention" indeed (cough) (cougn) (cough)!!!  And let's just mention Jack and Jorma, TTB, Bustle in Your Hedgerow. All over it and I don't live anywhere near Virginia, unless you consider Boston near Arrington VA.  So get on it Mr. Heartbreak!  Petty is the least of the attractions for me.

That's about as fair a statement as: "wilco fans are a bunch of middle-aged dads."

I know, but sometimes the stereotypes are true. I would say both statements are about 75% valid. Edit: Not that there's anything wrong with that!

All over it and I don't live anywhere near Virginia, unless you consider Boston near Arrington VA.  So get on it Mr. Heartbreak!  

I would love to go, but I just can't take the time off from work to travel up there. Plus my bride and I agreed (after I bought tickets for Lady Antebellum, McCartney and the Ratdog/CRB show) that we would not be doing any other major concerts this year.

Plus my bride and I agreed (after I bought tickets for Lady Antebellum, McCartney and the Ratdog/CRB show) that we would not be doing any other major concerts this year.

uh oh, the clampdown begins!

• 2 weeks later...

the two times I've seen Petty is good enough for me.

actually, i ended up preferring the opening bands each time (The Replacements, My Morning Jacket).

The one time I saw Petty was good enough for me.

Actually I ended up preferring him to the headliner (Bob Dylan).

I saw him on the Into the Great Wide Open tour in 91.  It was awesome.  Full of hits of course as Full Moon Fever had come 2 years before.  Lots of theatrics on stage.  Chris Whitley opened up.  Damn he was great!  

I saw Petty again on the Mojo tour.  Got a cheap ticket for $20.  Left early.  Really wanted to hear the Mojo stuff live, but he just played the hits. Oh well.

I can't think of a more consistent artist in the history of pop/rock than Tom petty.  The songs have always been there…despite some production mis-steps in the 80s.  The new one sounds like it's right in line.

Only saw Petty in '86 when he was touring with The GD and Dylan. Thought he was good. I won tix on the radio a year or 2 ago for guessing a trivia question about Courtney Love being on the back of an old GD album (I was able to get through before PopTodd, I guess). My choice was Celtics vs. Nuggets tix or Tom Petty tix. I took the Celtics tix. Should/ve taken the Petty tix, though....

Only saw Petty in '86 when he was touring with The GD and Dylan. Thought he was good. I won tix on the radio a year or 2 ago for guessing a trivia question about Courtney Love being on the back of an old GD album (I was able to get through before PopTodd, I guess). My choice was Celtics vs. Nuggets tix or Tom Petty tix. I took the Celtics tix. Should/ve taken the Petty tix, though....

:lol

What back album cover was Love on?

My sister- in-law is a big Petty fan - her and my brother see him quite a bit, but I never gotten around to going with them (though I am fan) --- wish I would have saw him back in the 90s, prior to the rise in his ticket prices.

They will be seeing him again this summer in Chicago.