• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I often flip back and forth on which solo album I like most -- Full Moon Fever or Wildflowers. There's just something about the warmth of Wildflowers (probably R. Rubin's contribution) that sways me. I know Petty has said some disparaging things about She's the One, which contains cuts from the Wildflowers sessions, but Petty's output from like 1994-99 (Wildflowers, She's the One, and Echo) is, IMHO, among his best. FWIW, I saw Mudcrutch a few days ago, and while he's looking pretty old, and didn't move all that much on the stage, his voice sounded great.

Knotgreen..I saw mudcrutch on Saturday and agree with what you said. I was maybe 3 people back and was also thinking to myself he looked rough(his hands even seemed shaky when he was playing)! He however sounded great

Yeah - my brother and sis-in-law saw him at the Riviera (Chicago) last month and said the same exact thing --- he took a tumble at the the end of the show - fell backwards, flat on his back, but he was helped up right away and he seemed okay.

• 4 months later...

Tom's releasing/re-releasing all the studio albums on two vinyl boxsets - both the ones with the Heartbreakers and the solo albums. Each box is $260. Cashing in on the vinyl craze.

The first 9 albums all fit on one piece of vinyl each = $29/album. Seems ridiculous

Self Titled, You're Going to Get It, Damn the Torpedos, Hard Promises, Long After Dark, Southern Accents, Let Me Up (I've Had Enough), Full Moon Fever, Into the Great Wide Open

The next 7 albums are on 12 pieces of vinyl = $37/album. Seems even more ridiculous

Wildflowers, She's the One, Echo, Last DJ, Highway Companion, Mojo, Hypnotic Eye

I've had most of his records for years, but I realized the other day that I've never owned Full Moon Fever. I had planned to go out this weekend to buy it, but discovered it's out of print and vinyl copies are in the $50 range on the used market.  So, I bought it new on CD for $4 from Amazon.  It's kind of shocking to me that an album that was that successful was allowed to go out of print.

I'll bet if they had simply repressed Damn the Torpedoes, Wildflowers, and Full Moon Fever as individual albums, they'd make more money then they'll make off these box sets.

I'll bet if they had simply repressed Damn the Torpedoes, Wildflowers, and Full Moon Fever as individual albums, they'd make more money then they'll make off these box sets.

I have to imagine they will press as single albums down the road, but this is a way to get fans to pay for the albums that people won't buy as stand alone such as Let Me Up...

Remember when TP put his career on the line in an effort not to gouge his fans?   That guy seems to have had a change of heart.

It is a strange progression and too bad, but he's not the first to have this happen to them. Maybe the Last DJ was his last effort as it was largely on this topic and it seems the cycle after that the prices went way up...

I really enjoyed hypnotic eye. Liked it better than the previous three albums

I don't remember what the previous three were, but I agree.  I thought the single from Mojo was really strong, but the rest of it felt like generic blues jams.  I listened to Hypnotic Eye this weekend and really enjoyed it.  Some of it sounds like the record Ric Ocasek produced for Guided By Voices.  Mike Campbell really shines on that one.

I think very song on Highway Companion could be a single.  So great!  Petty is one of the only artists that's managed to put out quality music over his entire career.  Each album has at least a few excellent tunes while the rest are more than listenable. Hell, the last Mudcrutch album was great.  I think about him compared to Neil Young and his decades of shit music and Petty deserves to be in the top three.

• 1 month later...

I guess Tom is not taking much time off between projects this time: (I finally listened to Mudcrutch 2 the other day. I could not get into it.)

Here’s the tour itinerary, as of Dec. 9:

April 20: Oklahoma City, OK @ Chesapeake Energy Center*
April 22: Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Arena*
April 23: Little Rock, AR @ Verizon Wireless Arena*
April 25: Nashville, TN @ Bridgesone Arena*
April 27: Atlanta, GA @ Philips Arena*
April 29: Houston, TX @ Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion*
May 2: Austin, TX @ Frank Erwin Center*
May 5: West Palm Beach, FL @ Perfect Vodka Amphitheatre*
May 6: Tampa, FL @ Amalie Arena*
May 8: Memphis, Tenn. @ StateFarm Center*
May 10: Champaign, Ill. @ Scottrade Center*    
May 12: St. Louis, MO @ Scottrade Center*
May 13: Indianapolis, IN @ Klipsch Music Center*
May 29: Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre
May 30: Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre
June 2: Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center*
June 3: St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center*
June 5: Des Moines, IA @ Wells Fargo Arena*
June 7: Columbus, OH @ Schottenstein Center*
June 9: Pittsburgh, PA @ PPG Paints Arena*
June 10: Cleveland, OH @ Quicken Loans Arena
June 12: Cincinnati, OH @ US Bank Arena*
June 14: Hartford, CT @ XFINITY Theatre*
June 16: Newark, NJ @ Prudential Center*
June 17: Hunter, NY @ Mountain Jam Festival
June 29: Chicago, IL @ Wrigley Field^
July 1: Philadelphia, PA @ Wells Fargo Arena
July 2: Canandaigua, NY @ CMAC Performing Arts Center
July 5: Milwaukee, WI @ Marcus Marcus Amphitheater, Summerfest^
July 6: Milwaukee, WI @ Marcus Marcus Amphitheater- Summerfest^
July 15: Toronto, Ontario @ Air Canada Centre
July 18: Clarkson, MI @ DTE Energy Music Theatre
July 20: Boston, MA @ TD Garden
July 23: Baltimore, Md. @ Royal Farms Arena
July 26: Queens, NY @ Forest Hills Stadium
July 27: Queens, NY @ Forest Hills Stadium

* With Joe Walsh
^ With Chris Stapleton 

Thinking about taking a trip to Colorado for this.  It'd be a double bucket list event:  visiting a state I've never been to, and seeing a show at Red Rocks.  I've only seen TP once, and that was on the Echo tour.

My biggest complaint about TP is that the setlists have basically not changed in 15 years!  That's an exaggeration, of course, but they have certainly been stagnant, in my view, especially for a songwriter of his calibre with a huge repertoire of amazing songs.  His "rarities" shows at the Fonda in LA a couple years ago were pathetic compared to what they could've been.  One or two nuggets does not make a show a rarities show, IMO.

Imagine what he could do, like a two set show with a true sit-down acoustic set playing stuff like The Wild One Forever, You Can Still Change Your Mind, The Best Of Everything, etc.  Mike Campbell can play any stringed instrument, it could be so great. 

But year after year, he plays it safe, so disappointing for all that wasted potential, in my view.