• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, same old boring setlist.  I've said it before, but with a catalog of songs like he has and one of the most seasoned and road-tested rock 'n' roll bands on the planet, its a colossal shame and waste that he does shows like this, IMO.  A lot of my disappointment is that I have been such a fan for so long and I know what they are capable of. 

If they can't rock for 2 hours anymore, maybe its time for that all acoustic, sit down and play, theater tour.  But then all the mainstream fans they've pandered to for the past two decades would complain.

Yep, same old boring setlist.  I've said it before, but with a catalog of songs like he has and one of the most seasoned and road-tested rock 'n' roll bands on the planet, its a colossal shame and waste that he does shows like this, IMO.  A lot of my disappointment is that I have been such a fan for so long and I know what they are capable of. 

If they can't rock for 2 hours anymore, maybe its time for that all acoustic, sit down and play, theater tour.  But then all the mainstream fans they've pandered to for the past two decades would complain.

This nails it for me. No need to see them, as I have seen this show before. In the late 80s, no less (just kidding - there is plenty from after the late 80s, but it does seem stale).

Hmm, I only saw him on the Echo tour, which I thought was a pretty amazing setlist.  All the hits, plus new material, covers, and a healthy amount of ad-libbing. Not by the numbers.  At least, it didn't feel like they were going by the numbers.  Maybe I'll sit this one out.

I think the thing that ticks me off the most is not the setlist, which is tired and repetitive, but the absurd ticket prices. I think I've said this elsewhere in this thread, but for a guy who rallied against "golden circles" and made a stink about his album prices, he's turned into a total hypocrite. I think to get anywhere near the first 15 rows you had to spend $400 +. 

Also, after having seen a Mudcrutch show a year or so ago... I totally understand the shorter set. He was shaking and seemed pretty frail then.

As others have said, I would probably shell out some serious $$ to see an intimate "Wildflowers" show.

The chapters in the recent Replacements book (Trouble Boys) when the 'Mats were the opening band for Petty does not paint a pretty picture (for anyone involved - neither the 'Mats nor TP & the HBs). Not only was TP's set-list the same every night (which is common knowledge by this point) but even the little between-songs asides to the audience the exact same every night, which Westerberg started to riff on after he got sick of it. 

Then I remembered some nasty comment that TP made to Tommy Stinton, something about bragging: who cares about spontaneity in the set-list when he was pulling in $250k every show, which blew Tommy's mind. 

Most of those bands do that though -

It's an age old discussion. Of course, it always kills me when Roger or Pete or Alex says "we are going to play a bunch of songs we usually don't do on this tour" and of course that never happens. 

I think every time I look at a Joe Walsh torrent - he seems to play the same 4 or 5 songs all the time. 

Alex Lifeson (RUSH) 

At least Rush plays for 2.5 - 3 hours.

The last tour they did was off the hook....started with current songs and went backwards through the years (even changed sets to reflect the specific tour).  One of the best shows I ever saw.

As far as Petty, I stopped seeing him years ago because of the lack of excitement and the same songs over and over and only plays like 90-100 min....for like $500.

on a side note...Paul M. coming to Miami and I looked at buying a ticket.  Worst Lowers are $500 and decent lowers are $850...this is face value.  At least they are taking out the Brokers and the resellers...but holy crap that is big $$$$.

Alex Lifeson (RUSH) 

At least in their case they actually throw in one or two lesser known songs now and then.  The last time I saw them they played Circumstances, and I believe they played A Farewell to Kings on a recent tour.  Those are both pretty deep cuts.

The last tour they did was off the hook....started with current songs and went backwards through the years (even changed sets to reflect the specific tour). One of the best shows I ever saw.

As far as Petty, I stopped seeing him years ago because of the lack of excitement and the same songs over and over and only plays like 90-100 min....for like $500.

on a side note...Paul M. coming to Miami and I looked at buying a ticket. Worst Lowers are $500 and decent lowers are $850...this is face value. At least they are taking out the Brokers and the resellers...but holy crap that is big $$$$.

Paul M at NYC cheapest is $29.50 can't beat that if you could score one!

At least in their case they actually throw in one or two lesser known songs now and then.  The last time I saw them they played Circumstances, and I believe they played A Farewell to Kings on a recent tour.  Those are both pretty deep cuts.

And that is supposedly the last time they will tour.

The last tour they did was off the hook....started with current songs and went backwards through the years (even changed sets to reflect the specific tour). One of the best shows I ever saw.

on a side note...Paul M. coming to Miami and I looked at buying a ticket. Worst Lowers are $500 and decent lowers are $850...this is face value. At least they are taking out the Brokers and the resellers...but holy crap that is big $$$$.

I just paid $167 each for 2 Macca tickets and got perfect lower bowl seats, the same seats I had when I saw him in 2015. Wichita, Kansas.

Howie's story is a tragic one, for sure.

I have never seen Petty - but my sister-in-law is a big fan and every tour my brother and her go and see him play. This year they are driving up to Milwaukee, in lieu of Wrigley. I never heard her complain about a set list - but I think my brother would have be fine to stop seeing him 10 years or so years ago.

He did enjoy the Mudcructh show, though - mostly because it was at the Riviera and not in some shed.

Must be the beard and that he let himself gray. I actually think he looks better in the current photo above.

_mg_0519_2.jpeg

I guess the beard, gray hair, a blown back hair made him look different to me.

As a diehard Heartbreakers fan myself, this hits the nail on the head. On the bright side, they did add "Swingin'" from the long-forgotten Echo album to the set last night. First time it had been played in 18 years. Who knows if it'll stick, but that's definitely a very welcome breath of fresh air.