Heard tales of two exciting Lips issues. The first is a 6 hour song, on a pen drive, embedded in a gummy bear skull. The second is a 24 hour Lips tune. Anyone have the 6 hour skull deal? They release it periodically on the site but havent been able to find it. I was ableto record it via soundtap from a review site but would love to get the orignal release. Also, is the 24 hoursong real or is the 6 hour set the end product? Either way, they have taken it to a level I would never have imagined.

Heard tales of two exciting Lips issues. The first is a 6 hour song, on a pen drive, embedded in a gummy bear skull. The second is a 24 hour Lips tune. Anyone have the 6 hour skull deal? They release it periodically on the site but havent been able to find it. I was ableto record it via soundtap from a review site but would love to get the orignal release. Also, is the 24 hoursong real or is the 6 hour set the end product? Either way, they have taken it to a level I would never have imagined.

I read something about the gummy skull too. I'm going to see them on Thursday night at the Norva in Norfolk and was planning to get there a little early to check out the merch table. I'd be glad to pick one up for you if they have it for sale there.

PM me if you're interested.

I'm seeing them tomorrow in Portland... I REALLY hope they stick to the more melodic stuff. Their new stuff (Embryonic.. though that has some OK songs on it, the Darkside of the Moon cover, and the 6+ hour stuff) isnt really my cup of tea... Infact i fucking hate it. hahah.

But I'm sure it will be a spectacle nonetheless

Yeah, I'm really not that familiar with their stuff. I'm going primarily on the recommendation of this guy I met whose company makes Glenn Kotche's drumheads. He's a big fan and couldn't say enough about how brilliant he thinks Wayne Coyne is. (He sat on some music industry panel with him recently.) So that, plus it's near Halloween, and I expect there'll be some amount of pyrotechnics. What little I've heard of the music itself I agree isn't really my thing, but I'm trying to go in with open ears. Also, I just watched most of the Fearless Freaks DVD, to get more of a feel for what the show will be like. So far I think I can say. . . not much like Wilco!

Flaming Lips are one of the greatest bands around. They are the modern day Pink Floyd and in some ways better than Floyd ever was.

I had the privilege of seeing the Soft Bulletin performed in it's entirety in Atlanta earlier this year. Embryonic is probably my favorite record, although Soft Bulletin is a masterpiece.

I saw them last summer, not really knowing what to expect. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Wayne Coyne's language is pretty racy, be ready to be called "motherf*cker" a whole bunch. He talked a lot! But all in all, it was pretty joyful and fun.

Does anyone belong to his twitter feed? It appears that that guy takes A LOT of drugs!

Does anyone belong to his twitter feed? It appears that that guy takes A LOT of drugs!

Actually in an interview I saw, he claimed that he doesn't take drugs.. He say's that he's weird enough without them. Say's they make him paranoid.

But again, that's what he claims.. :lol

I've never really enjoyed the Flaming Lips that much. Some alright stuff on the first few albums, but this newer stuff is getting more or less unbearable to me. What I've heard of the six hour track was just way over the top. Sounds like some kind of habit is catching up with Wayne and he's getting way too self-indulgent. IMO obviously

I enjoy the Flaming Lips a lot. Their music is good sunny day driving music, or music to listen to when reading. I want to see them live some day. Heard their shows are great.

When I saw them perform The Soft Bulletin, at the start of the show when they kicked in to "Race for the Prize" and all of the confetti and balloons were flying everywhere, I swear I saw the face of God.. :)

When I saw them perform The Soft Bulletin, at the start of the show when they kicked in to "Race for the Prize" and all of the confetti and balloons were flying everywhere, I swear I saw the face of God.. :)

God loves confetti & balloons, so how could He not show up? :lol

1. Ah yes, I know what you mean...I saw them in Sydney when they were last here and although it was not a Soft Bulletin show, they still kicked off with Race For The Prize and it was exactly as you described.

2. The UFOs At The Zoo DVD is a great way to get into a Flaming LIps show if you can't actually be there.

3. Steven Drozd is an extraordinary musician.

Here's what an influence you guys have on me. This morning I downloaded (after having BOUGHT and PAID FOR) Soft Bulletin, Embryonic and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Looking forward to listening to all this over the next couple of days, to enhance my enjoyment of the concert on Thursday.

1. Ah yes, I know what you mean...I saw them in Sydney when they were last here and although it was not a Soft Bulletin show, they still kicked off with Race For The Prize and it was exactly as you described.

2. The UFOs At The Zoo DVD is a great way to get into a Flaming LIps show if you can't actually be there.

3. Steven Drozd is an extraordinary musician.

Number Three is the god's honest truth. He is brilliant. One of the most underrated musicians around. He is completely responsible for their sound. Coyne is weird.....true...but Steven is the creator of their majestic soundscapes.

wayne needs to mix up the set list...

And the schtick. I've seen them 5 times since 2003 and the general gist of the experience is almost exactly the same. I mean, it's really fun and I recommend it to everyone, but aside from substituting 4 or 5 songs per tour, it's the same show each time (confetti, giant gerbil ball, hypnotic imagery, some naked dancing chicks on the screen, people dressed as aliens/santa/construction workers on the stage, camera view up Wayne's nose...).

Number Three is the god's honest truth. He is brilliant. One of the most underrated musicians around. He is completely responsible for their sound. Coyne is weird.....true...but Steven is the creator of their majestic soundscapes.

Amen to this. I don't know of any other guitarist/keyboardists who originally joined their band as the drummer.

• 3 weeks later...

That's pretty awesome and everything, especially since Wayne delivered it to his house.. But $5,000? Really? Dude must have quite a bit of disposable income...

Yeah, he does okay, and he's single, doesn't have any kids or anything, and loves the Lips. I think it's a bit silly, myself, but it's cool to be able to see that stuff whenever I'm at his place.