I have no idea if this is new or not but Pitchfork has an eight part mini-documentary about the making of the Soft Bulletin. I just watched the piece on Race For the Prize and it was pretty interesting.

http://pitchfork.com...-soft-bulletin/

And +2 on the Stephen Drozd appreciation ...

wow, I just watched that and i really was moved by Steven and Michael and Wayne and their feelings about such a great record ... one of my favorites ever

I'm not hip enough to be aware of the conventional wisdom out there, but people realize how great The Soft Bulletin is, right? I mean, I am not a huge Lips fan at all, but genius and masterpiece relate to this record. It is a once in a generation record in my mind. The perfect combination of originality, production, lyric/emotion and style. I agree with the pitchfork videos that the only misstep was releasing the album with two alt mixes tacked on. I'm just making sure. It just amazes me how amazing this is whenever I revisit it. So many choices were made on this album that just seem perfection/magic.

I'm not hip enough to be aware of the conventional wisdom out there, but people realize how great The Soft Bulletin is, right? I mean, I am not a huge Lips fan at all, but genius and masterpiece relate to this record. It is a once in a generation record in my mind. The perfect combination of originality, production, lyric/emotion and style. I agree with the pitchfork videos that the only misstep was releasing the album with two alt mixes tacked on. I'm just making sure. It just amazes me how amazing this is whenever I revisit it. So many choices were made on this album that just seem perfection/magic.

Amazing album....The 2 that followed are pretty cool too. Haven't liked a thing about anything they've released since.

Amazing album....The 2 that followed are pretty cool too. Haven't liked a thing about anything they've released since.

yeah, I really liked Yoshimi, it was playful yet musically magical. I felt they started losing it with Mystic and Embryonic was really challenging to like and Dark Side was bloody awful. oh well

• 2 weeks later...