Heard The Roches on the radio today!!!

I NEVER hear them on the radio!

But this morning, on WXRT in Chicago -- as part of a contest called "Instant Flashback", where you have to be the first to call in and guess the year of a song's release -- the DJ played "The Hammond Song".

Being as that I just won this contest a couple of weeks ago, I was not able to call in and guess 1979 (which was correct).

But, damn hearing that song on the radio today made my commute!

I really wish that the radio played more of those guys.

And more Harry Nilsson.

And ANY Big Star.

And more Son Volt.

(They already play a LOT of Wilco.)

*sigh*

XRT occasionally rolls out something diifferent. Good for them. Even Wilco, which they do play, don't get played nearly as often as the typical XRT artists.

"If you go down to Hammond...."

LouieB

XRT occasionally rolls out something diifferent. Good for them. Even Wilco, which they do play, don't get played nearly as often as the typical XRT artists.

"If you go down to Hammond...."

LouieB

Leave it to Brehmer to impart this little bit of info:

The song is about one of the sisters getting way into transcendetntalism, and wanting to go down to Hammond, LA to study with some guru. So, the other 2 are singing to Maggie, I think about not going down to Hammond.

Puts new light on the song.

Leave it to Brehmer to impart this little bit of info:

The song is about one of the sisters getting way into transcendetntalism, and wanting to go down to Hammond, LA to study with some guru. So, the other 2 are singing to Maggie, I think about not going down to Hammond.

Puts new light on the song.

Cool story. I always think they are singing about Hammond Indiana, but of course I knew that wasn't right.....

LouieB

Very Cool. The Hammond Song is one of my fave Roches songs.