Dr. Dog - Be The Void (February 7, 2012)

So I had to sneak a peak over the weekend... I will have to disagree wholeheartedly about it being below average, or disappointing... I absolutely love it so far. I can see how one might be looking for the poppier sound of their last two albums, but this one goes back to the Easy Beat and pre-Easy Beat days. It's very raw, very gritty, very free... Brilliant. Looking forward to picking up the hard copy today.

i like it more than the last one for sure... but not quite as much as We All Belong or Easy Beat

So I had to sneak a peak over the weekend... I will have to disagree wholeheartedly about it being below average, or disappointing... I absolutely love it so far. I can see how one might be looking for the poppier sound of their last two albums, but this one goes back to the Easy Beat and pre-Easy Beat days. It's very raw, very gritty, very free... Brilliant. Looking forward to picking up the hard copy today.

excellent. getting it today.

enter-the-void-poster_280x415.jpg

I really like Gaspar Noe's movie, but I'm pretty sure Dr. Dog doesn't want their new album to be conflated with a movie about a dead junkie floating through the ether, experiencing all sorts of sordid aspects of Tokyo.

This album is awesome.. It has so much personality.. So many go to songs... "How Long Must I Wait" is probably my favorite, "Heavy Light" is a close second. And of course, Toby's bass playing is second to none.

I find it to be a very slow grower. Some songs I'm totally coming around to (both the ones you mentioned), but "Warrior Man" is extremely cringe-worthy. I do like it better as a whole album than Shame Shame but will still take Fate or We All Belong any day.

I was hooked on first listen. Easy Beat is still my favorite Dr. Dog record though.... That might be why I like this one so much, it's raw and experimental like Easy Beat..

Warrior Man is one of my favorites.. Very Beatles-esque. I typically like Scott's songs better, but like RainDog mentioned, Toby really hits it out of the park on this record.

Edit: I might actually be one of the few that likes Warrior Man.. lol.. Pitchfork competely destroyed that song in their review, but who really takes Pitchfork seriously anymore..

Seriously, it is a Strokes song with a different singer. Where the hell have the Strokes been lately anyway? Oh yeah, they are writing tunes for Dr. Dog.

I really like Is This It and These Days really does have some similarities to This Modern Age, but it's far from a ripoff. There were even a few other songs on the album that rareair could've been talking about. I think Dr. Dog did it better than any of the Strokes examples.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So does anyone know typically when a ACL performance is aired after the taping? I'd like to know when to start checking for Dr. Dog's performance.. Can't miss it..

Didn't the guy who introduced them say November?

I wouldn't know, unfortunately I didn't get to see the performance. I'll plan on keeping an eye out for November then. Thanks.

Ah, that's too bad. They killed it!

Here was their set:

Shadow People

Stranger

That Old Black Hole

The Ark

The Breeze

Hang On

Where'd All the Time Go?

Shame, Shame

Do the Trick

Lonesome

Jackie Wants a Black Eye

Someday

I Only Wear Blue

Vampire

From

These Days

Heavy Light

The Beach

The Rabbit the Bat & Reindeer

Die Die Die

Heart it Races

My guess would be they probably won't get the full hour. They are on the lower end of the popularity spectrum, which is not a bad thing.. Pretty much everyone I tell about Dr. Dog says "Dr. Who?". But the people that do know them are well aware of their awesomeness... One of the few bands (might even be the only band I know) that will never.. I repeat never disappoint at their live shows...