Roundhouse London night two

After what I thought was a below par first night at the historic Roundhouse, one of the great Wilco shows for night two, certainly in my top two or three.

At last the setlist was ripped up and for the first time in my Wilco watching there was no ITMWLY , Jesus Etc nor Handshake Drugs.

Big changes to setlist - 21 song set of which only 9 were played the night before so 12 different which was fantastic for everyone who went both nights.

Really enthusiastic crowd right down to the person halfway back waving their crutches around much to Tweedy's amusement.

Absolute highlight was appearance of Nick Lowe in encores - 'Jesus Of Cool' as Jeff introduced him for a wonderful rendition of 'Cruel To Be Kind'. Never seen Tweedy beaming as much as he was throughout this song. Brilliant

So many highlights really. Surpised to hear 'Open Mind' from the new record, and even more so 'I'll Fight' off the last one.

Opened with 'One Sunday Morning' then 'Poor Places', 'I Might', a blistering 'Art Of Almost', ALTWYS (always seem to play that in London), BBN, and among the changes 'Box Full Of Letters' , War On War, PKB, VC, etc etc

Encores Late Greats, Cruel... and HMD to finish.

Storming set and London lapped it up. 'Bravo' as I once witnessed Shakespearean acting legend Sir Ian McKellen bellow out from the old Roundhouse auditorium after watching a performance of Richard III in Russian!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you felt the same as me!

This was absolutely joyous. I never thought I'd see a Wilco concert like it. You almost always come away thinking you've witnessed something special in terms of musicianship, some emotional moments, songcraft - all the cerebral stuff that is the compensation for Wilco not quite having the spirit of '77 about them etc. But this was just a total fun sweaty night of jumping around and the crowd being much more than mere spectators. Not a good one for a taping I would have thought - just too much singing, clapping, whooping. You had to be there.

The sound was just right - loud was loud, but you could still make out different things happening within any cacophony instead of a wall of mush. I even got to like about 80% of BBN tonight :-) Re: 'f...ing with the formula': Not even a IATTBYH either tonight - though I never never tire of that song.

I've never thought a Brit crowd were too indie snobby to not go for a pop meets art rock half way type night out. With the extra 4 or 5 up tempo numbers from the new album they can now fill an entire set list with stuff that keeps the pot bubbling.

The start as OSM, then Poor Places, then AoA was a can go home now and have had value for money 1,2,3. The crowd was on side, and from then on it was just one of those wonderful virtuous feedback loops between audience and performers.

ALTWSS was a bit slower at the start of course, but I think Open Mind was only included in order to give Nels a chance to sit down after nearly blowing a gasket during Impossible Germany. I don't often go for the big guitar segment stuff, but he knocked me out then and more than usual with the same song. Terrific. Apart from Open Mind the crowd were bouncing, clapping and fist punching all night. Wow. I like the song itself alot, and it was a bit less twee here than on the album. Really want to hear it next time JT is over here solo.

I think it's obvious how pleased Wilco are with the reception the new stuff is getting - cheers on the first few notes of songs let alone at the end. Many immediate setlist standards and might have been the catalyst for the remarkable new style of almost entirely upbeat set list tonight.

I'll Fight seemed to have had a slightly faster poppier re-tread which I really liked - iincluding the tone of Nels guitar during it.

The main set ended with Shot in the Arm and I was thinking : well, they've rolled out all the big guns, what next to top that?

They only went and iced the f...king cake!

Nick Lowe came out to do Cruel To Be Kind. Nick f...king Lowe! Cruel to be f...king Kind! I found a level of heaven beyond level seven.

You know that video of Wilco backing Roger McGuinn doing "So you want to be a rock'n'roll star"? As much fun as that and then some more for good measure. Love watching JT beaming doing backing vocals.

Was closer to the front tonight. About 6 or 7 standing rows back. Not sure if my experience of a better sound was a result of a change of location or they made some adjustments. Actually prefer this to being right on the barrier. In with the 'action', though as I say, never expected a Wilco show to get quite that uninhibited. Took me back a few years :-)

This meant I was also under the brim as far as the hat 'issue' was concerned. JT did remove it a couple of times for some acknowledgement to the crowd.

Banter Corner

Again sparse and covered by previous correspondent. The crutches moment was funny. "You know it's a good show when someone raises their crutches in the air". Also made a comment about it showing how long he'd been in the band as if they were playing to OAPs now. Whoever it was should have had some sort of "i'm healed" comeback.

Sorry, given my avatar, can't resist imagining that JT followed that comeback with :-

Just great to see all of them beaming and exchanging smiling glances. They seem to like the venue in particular. Same again next time then please as GA is always preferable.

Box full of letters was a new Wilco notch on my bedpost I think.

Others not mentioned: Hummingbird, ummm I'll get back to you. Still no Being There.

I thought they might fill the encore with Monday etc. But they had other ideas :-)

How about this sort of thing for a win-win on the hat?

wOH4xxcfJ5Fh5.jpg

And whilst we're being all biblical, here's Nels' frozen Christ (on a bike) moments during Late Greats. He kept that pose throughout the build segment :-)

Not mine and not condoning the photography you understand. It was nicely mobile phone free all night. Just for those following vicariously far away.

Wilco, The Roundhouse

And finally, documentary evidence of the second coming. The Very Reverend Sir Nicholas of Lowe

Wilco (and Nick Lowe), The Roundhouse

And whilst we're being all biblical, here's Nels' frozen Christ (on a bike) moments during Late Greats. He kept that pose throughout the build segment :-)

Not mine and not condoning the photography you understand. It was nicely mobile phone free all night. Just for those following vicariously far away.

http://www.flickr.co...son/6292710967/

And finally, documentary evidence of the second coming. The Very Reverend Sir Nicholas of Lowe

http://www.flickr.co...son/6293235636/

Your review made me warm and fuzzy reading it. :)

So glad for VC, and for reading posts like yours

I share the happy feelings with the previous reviewers - this one ended up being one of my favorite Wilco shows (and my first one outside the US!).

I wish I could remember the setlist, but after they played One Sunday Morning, Poor Places, Art of Almost, ALTWYS and Bull Black Nova towards the start, I knew it would be a good one.

The new songs sound great (though I was hoping for Black Moon), they threw some surprises in there, and the crowd -- at least those around me, about 7 people back in front of Pat -- were really enjoying it. The sound was fantastic, too, I thought.

Now I'm wondering if I can swing any of the other Europe dates this fall, or at least try to catch a show somewhere next spring.

I share the happy feelings with the previous reviewers - this one ended up being one of my favorite Wilco shows (and my first one outside the US)

care to offer any thoughts on the difference (band or audience) based upon sweeping generalisations and a small sample?

I've seen Wilco a few times in europe (I.e. Not UK) and in the past I would have said they were more relaxed. London often has more pressure because of extra media scrutiny and the 'history'. It's been heading this way for some time, but last night felt like a game changer - in a good way.

Agree with all of the above, simply wonderful.

I was on the barrier, dead centre for both nights.

Although I really enjoyed night 1, I was constantly being distracted by security obsessively standing in front trying to get people behind to stop taking photographs. That had changed last night. Just 2 security guys were visible and they stayed out of view at the sides, loads better.

No official photographers last night, again much better.

Also Jeff's guitar, night 1, he was turned right up to 11 on his monitor. This was overpowering and at times painful. Last night was perfect. A much better balance.

Enough has been said about the brilliance of the set and Nick Lowe, so I will add my one negative.

Misunderstood was on the set list as the closer. dropped for HMD. WTF is that all about?

And one more, Jonathan Wilson. His set in Manchester was painful, self indulgent rubbish. Friday he was a bit better but last night went to new depths. Horrible, just horrible. How far up your own arse do you have to be to do a > 10 minute long song as a support act? Especially when the song is as bad as their second to last song last night. Happy that I don't have to put up with them again.

if Johnathan Wilson has a 10 minute long song, why shouldn't he play it? bit harsh on him i think, him and his band are clearly very good musicians and he has some good songs.

Wilco were brilliant last night, 5th time seeing them and it was the best yet. I was desperate for them to play Ashes but getting Pot Kettle Black made up for it big time. Only YHF songs I haven't seen live now are Kamera and Ashes. Via Chicago is the single greatest live song I have ever seen any band play, the noise and pacing of that song are mind-blowing. i think they had to change Misunderstood due to time issues.....

Nick Lowe came out to do Cruel To Be Kind. Nick f...king Lowe! Cruel to be f...king Kind! I found a level of heaven beyond level seven.

You know that video of Wilco backing Roger McGuinn doing "So you want to be a rock'n'roll star"? As much fun as that and then some more for good measure. Love watching JT beaming doing backing vocals.

Now I'm seriously jealous! Glad you guys got to see that, and here's hoping they keep that number in the set when Nick rejoins the band in the USA in a few weeks...

care to offer any thoughts on the difference (band or audience) based upon sweeping generalisations and a small sample? I've seen Wilco a few times in europe (I.e. Not UK) and in the past I would have said they were more relaxed. London often has more pressure because of extra media scrutiny and the 'history'. It's been heading this way for some time, but last night felt like a game changer - in a good way.

It's hard to say -- I've seen Wilco in the US a bunch of times, in venues ranging from sterile arenas to amazing outdoor theatres. Last night was just the perfect storm: I really like the Roundhouse as a venue; the sound was great; the crowd was just enthusiastic enough without being of the beer-spilling, super-drunk variety; and the setlist really worked well for me. The last Wilco show I saw was in Chicago in 2009, but in a giant hockey arena and after I'd seen them quite a few times recently, so this was a huge change from that show, and absence probably makes the heart grow fonder!

I suppose the only difference I noticed last night was the lack of banter from Jeff; there's always been much more at the US shows I've seen. And usually with the banter comes interaction with the audience -- only the crutches exchange last night. Also far fewer cameras/phones taking pictures/recording, which was a nice surprise.

I think both the opener (which I didn't personally enjoy, but who seems good enough at what he does) and Wilco seemed to really appreciate the crowd response -- who were singing along, dancing, clapping without being prompted, etc. I wonder if Night 1 went well enough that they let loose a little bit for Night 2.

Although Jeff didn't do the goofy Hummingbird dance, so maybe they're still not totally relaxed in London :)

They only went and iced the f...king cake!

it was the best version of the song... ever...

I don't know how Wilco do it, but they get possibly the best live sound ever. I was at the back, upstairs for the first night, and it was amazing (Jeff could have been a bit higher in the mix.... but that's all), and last night, nearer the front downstairs, and it was immaculate. Loud but not distorted (none of that rubbish ' I can make the bass guitar and bass drum so loud, so loud it feels like your heart is going to explode and you can't hear anything above it.... because I can!' nonsense, that many bands do), and no matter how much distortion and feedback is going, you still get the subtleties of all the instruments. Their sound person is worth their weight in gold

but Cruel To Be Kind... I was thinking, this song will never sound as good as this again. 3(!) acoustic guitars replicating the original perfectly... all the backing vocals sung so sweetly.. and the solo!!... note for note perfect... - little bit of a stumble going into the second verse... which kind of made it even better... ?!?

saddest thing was I was on my own, and my wife and sister who'd come the night before, and who both adore Nick, weren't there... cries of "Oh no!" when I got home to break the news

..even better than when I used to see Rockpile

still wish he'd talk a bit more...

Mr Jeff Tweedy, happy to speak! It is fierce good news that you have a pair of scales fallen from eyes when I read this reporting. You have made final transformer! Make a saying of it long and make a saying of it loud - I am of the pop and I am proud, as we say in Sweden

You are like the baldy grasshopper with the burnt forarms from picking up the scalding potty of music knowledge as directed by sad depart old master Mr Stig. Do you have the sacred marks of the potty Mr Jeff Tweedy?

We now plan to take herd south and make meeting when you make visit to Stockholm. We hope for booking tomorrow. If no success I will make big cry as sad as time evil Pussycat with the triple female throat advantage end time of Dancing Queen at top of hit parade with their Mississippi. In truth it is excellent song for sure, but is it of the Abba. No friends it is not!

Professor from Stockholm make kind offer to accommodate all. He even offer to give you a bunk up Mr Jeff Tweedy if you have the persuasion and perhaps have tight budget now you have lovely label of own as song says. Professor is most forward looking to this time. We hope you do not mind sniff of reindeer herd Mr Jeff Tweedy. They will be in garage, but when Professor visit summer house in village they are in far north and now is opportunity he can see them for time of quality and he like to show some affection! It is the Swedish way!

MrJeff Tweedy, I go now to find nice pup for new thin fur outfit for this warm weather visit, but I do not forget the sequin adorn for sure!

Welfare. We see soon for party style! I have a pin and a needle at this thought!

Dropping Misunderstood for Heavy Metal Drummer must have been down to timing reasons as they were very close to 11pm curfew when it started. Jeff actually said something like 'we've just got time for one more' - Misunderstood would have taken them over which is a shame as it's one of their finest live tunes and probably my fav. Sending the crowd off with 40 plus 'NOTHING's would have been the perfect end to a great show.

Probably going to nip over to Paris in the spring as I have a couple of young nephews over there I've converted to the cause over the last few years. Allez les Wilcos!

Thanks to all for all the reviews, setlists and insights! Especially Flying Burrito Bro for extensive research/reporting!! I have tics for the 2nd and Final Chicago shows and appriciate songlist updates. I know all setlists may fly out the Window in Dec/Chicago on any given night. However, "Banter Corner" is priceless !!

Glad to hear everyone enjoyed last night. Seen Wilco three times now, Once at the Wulfrun (half full) then Rock City and Roundhouse night two.

I have to say least favourite gig (no fault on Wilco) just to many distractions for me. 1 Heat, 2 we were near the back and the constant chatter was extremely annoying :( and 3 sound, although loud it seemed muddy.

Sign of gettin' old methinks

Dropping Misunderstood for Heavy Metal Drummer must have been down to timing reasons as they were very close to 11pm curfew when it started. Jeff actually said something like 'we've just got time for one more' - Misunderstood would have taken them over which is a shame as it's one of their finest live tunes and probably my fav. Sending the crowd off with 40 plus 'NOTHING's would have been the perfect end to a great show. Probably going to nip over to Paris in the spring as I have a couple of young nephews over there I've converted to the cause over the last few years. Allez les Wilcos!

Ha! 40+ !! Indeed!

Thanks to all for all the reviews, setlists and insights! Especially Flying Burrito Bro for extensive research/reporting!! I have tics for the 2nd and Final Chicago shows and appriciate songlist updates. I know all setlists may fly out the Window in Dec/Chicago on any given night. However, "Banter Corner" is priceless !!

You are now honour bound to reciprocate in December. This is how it works in the Way of the Wilco. There is no alternative. Submit. We know where you live!