Roundhouse London night two

I requested "I'll Fight" for my wife who has recently undergone surgery, it's her favourite Wilco track, I can't explain what it meant to hear it last night.

I also requested it for my wife, though not for reasons as serious as yours, so it's great that it was played. Although the request function on wilcoworld allows you state why you're requesting, I don't think they're in the habit of referring to it, but at least it looks like it's there for a reason! It was the first song she really noticed me playing by Wilco, and so occupies a special space. She didn't know I'd requested it and was thrilled it was played.

This was my second Wilco gig, first being last year at the RFH. Wishing now I'd seen them on all the previous tours, but have only become significantly into them in the last few years, and now I think I would go as far as saying there is no better band to see live. Last night was perfect. Loved the Roundhouse, first visit, acoustics were top notch. Was at the back of the circle, but it didn't feel too far away, and I had a great view of them. Good to be able to view Glenn. As a drummer I am blown away by his power, precision, technique, inventiveness and musicality. I would dearly love to be able to do what he does!

So many highpoints, and the setlist was immaculate (I for one am much happier hearing HMD as final encore song than Misunderstood). I would have preferred One Sunday Morning further on, but it also works well as an opener. I thought Art of Almost came into its own. They brought to it a visceral edge that the record, much as I love it, lacks. War on War, ALTWYS, Imp Germ, all superb.

I've had left ear tinnitus since the RFH, and am sure Bull Black Nova had something to do with it. Last night I had my drumming earplugs at the ready to protect myself, but didn't need to. It was immense, but controlled. They sound so good as a 6-person beast comprised of 6 outstanding individuals. Nels and Glenn bring, as well as astonishing technique and imagination, a drama and a physicality that makes them mesmerising.

Jonathan Wilson didn't do much for me. One song seemed to be a straight copy of Neil Young's Dangerbird with different words.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also requested it for my wife, though not for reasons as serious as yours, so it's great that it was played. Although the request function on wilcoworld allows you state why you're requesting, I don't think they're in the habit of referring to it, but at least it looks like it's there for a reason! It was the first song she really noticed me playing by Wilco, and so occupies a special space. She didn't know I'd requested it and was thrilled it was played.

This was my second Wilco gig, first being last year at the RFH. Wishing now I'd seen them on all the previous tours, but have only become significantly into them in the last few years, and now I think I would go as far as saying there is no better band to see live. Last night was perfect. Loved the Roundhouse, first visit, acoustics were top notch. Was at the back of the circle, but it didn't feel too far away, and I had a great view of them. Good to be able to view Glenn. As a drummer I am blown away by his power, precision, technique, inventiveness and musicality. I would dearly love to be able to do what he does!

So many highpoints, and the setlist was immaculate (I for one am much happier hearing HMD as final encore song than Misunderstood). I would have preferred One Sunday Morning further on, but it also works well as an opener. I thought Art of Almost came into its own. They brought to it a visceral edge that the record, much as I love it, lacks. War on War, ALTWYS, Imp Germ, all superb.

I've had left ear tinnitus since the RFH, and am sure Bull Black Nova had something to do with it. Last night I had my drumming earplugs at the ready to protect myself, but didn't need to. It was immense, but controlled. They sound so good as a 6-person beast comprised of 6 outstanding individuals. Nels and Glenn bring, as well as astonishing technique and imagination, a drama and a physicality that makes them mesmerising.

Jonathan Wilson didn't do much for me. One song seemed to be a straight copy of Neil Young's Dangerbird with different words.

agree about the volume levels at RFH. That was the loudest show I've experienced for a long time

I was at the back upstairs of Friday... and yea, even at the back didn't feel like very far from the stage. The one problem with the Roundhouse is, downstairs, unless you're near the front, because the stage is relatively low, and there's no slope on the floor at all, it's difficult to see much if you're anything less then 6 foot tall. That's why we went upstairs for the first night (with wife and sister) then on my own for Saturday... downstairs

The encore! Damn cool.

Wowsah! Thanks a lot - such great sound. That should be put in it's own thread and pinned, followed by a submission for beatification. That miracle with the crutches guy was witnessed by enough people.

Dear Wilco management : please don't get this one pulled. Think of Sir Nicholas. The old guy could do with the publicity!

Pat was in his command bunker with the 3rd acoustic on the go. The stage front could not contain two larger than life barnets. And that Christ (on a bike) pose from Nels during The Late Greats. Comic genius!

Also, I just read a short post elsewhere describing Wilco, affectionately, as a tramp and 5 schoolteachers. Made me laugh anyway.

That's the lights, it's a tasteful light brown, I think.

The one problem with the Roundhouse is, downstairs, unless you're near the front, because the stage is relatively low, and there's no slope on the floor at all, it's difficult to see much if you're anything less then 6 foot tall. That's why we went upstairs for the first night (with wife and sister) then on my own for Saturday... downstairs

That's the way to do it! My wife is 5 ft nothing and hates stand-up gigs she can't see at, so we either stand and try to go up front, or sit. Love the sloping floors, e.g. Brixton Academy. Very glad now we went in the circle, even though I wish I was at the front not the back. the excellent youtube encore clip reminds me of one of the drawbacks: the pillars/arches can get in the way a bit. My wife kindly swapped seats so my view of Nels wasn't obstructed, I mean you can't not study Nels in action, can you? I did write down all the songs, but the order's a blur. Was hoping someone would post on Wilcoworld as they had for Bristol, Manchester and I think Glasgow, but oddly for neither Fri nor Sat.

So did Sat definitely sound a lot better than Fri?

Nick Lowe coming on stage for the encore made an already special night even better. I think that's the happiest I've seen Jeff and it showed on stage - an incredible night. Certainly the best I've seen them. I was standing almost next to the crutches guys, trying to avoid getting hit on the head at one point!

I liked the Roundhouse as a venue too - my first time there. Wonderful building.

I also now own a Wilco scarf. Just in time for the cold snap approaching...

I tried looking out for you Andrew, and thought your Giraffe like stature would stick out! :)

That's a shame, you should have posted here last week or something and we could have met up.

It was such a brilliant night wasn't it. Back to work now though ... but will have to give that encore video another lashing at lunchtime.

Also, thought I might have seen Rich T across a crowded floor on Friday, but couldn't be sure ...

Yeah, Rich T was there on Friday night. I was there with Helen on Sat night.

I completely forgot to email you - my fault! It was only when I was walking to the Roundhouse did it dawn on me, so I kept an eye out but must have missed you.

The Nick Lowe thing is STILL making me smile....

That's the lights, it's a tasteful light brown, I think.

That's the way to do it! My wife is 5 ft nothing and hates stand-up gigs she can't see at, so we either stand and try to go up front, or sit. Love the sloping floors, e.g. Brixton Academy. Very glad now we went in the circle, even though I wish I was at the front not the back. the excellent youtube encore clip reminds me of one of the drawbacks: the pillars/arches can get in the way a bit. My wife kindly swapped seats so my view of Nels wasn't obstructed, I mean you can't not study Nels in action, can you? I did write down all the songs, but the order's a blur. Was hoping someone would post on Wilcoworld as they had for Bristol, Manchester and I think Glasgow, but oddly for neither Fri nor Sat.

So did Sat definitely sound a lot better than Fri?

not a lot of difference really... Jeff's voice was clearer downstairs, which was to be expected. But apart from that, I thought the sound was as good a live sound as you're (generally) likely to get

Brixton next...??

(still have my ticket for the cancelled Wilco show at the Academy....)

I've still got a ticket from that as well.

I prefer the Roundhouse and the area more to the Academy and Brixton. No decent pubs there and getting back, for me, is a nightmare from there.

I'd like to see another Tweedy solo show in London...

There never was a reason given for that was there? Not even a blanket 'family/personal something came up'. Luckily for me it was during my little 'break' from live Wilco before the hunger returned.

You really missed out on the Union Chapel night Rich. The closest thing possible to a UK living room show. Even had a few words with Sue when she took requests in a clipboard beforehand. It did reinforce my view that any meeting with the man himself is probably best avoided though - they're not tall, I am, it gets a bit awkward :P Still, I wouldn't say no to a sit down chat though..

Yeah, I missed out on the union chapel for some reason... Was very miffed after the Brixton cancellation, especially as no reason was given.

Full set lists posted on the Wilco Facebook page:

Roundhouse London, UK setlists:

Night 1 - Friday Oct 28th:

Art of Almost

I Might

Ashes of American Flags

Bull Black Nova

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

One Wing

Side with the Seeds

One Sunday Morning

Shouldn't Be Ashamed

Born Alone

Jesus, Etc.

Capitol City

Handshake Drugs

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Standing O

Impossible Germany

Dawned on Me

Whole Love

Shot in the Arm

Night 2 - Saturday Oct 29th:

One Sunday Morning

Poor Places

Art of Almost

I Might

At Least That's What You Said

Bull Black Nova

Via Chicago

Born Alone

Box Full of Letters

War on War

Hummingbird

Whole Love

Impossible Germany

Open Mind

I'll Fight

Pot Kettle Black

Dawned on Me

Shot in the Arm

Late Greats

Cruel to Be Kind (w/ Nick Lowe)

Heavy Metal Drummer

wish they would come to Dublin

A few of us saw Glenn Kotche after the second Roundhouse show and lobbied (again) for Dublin. Wilco have skipped Dublin on the last three European tours. He said they will likely come in March or May. But I wonder if he was just saying that... How much say does the band really have on where they stop on tour?

Surely Nels Cline has provided good preparation for this?

Ha! In fact he is the only one I have had a few words with after bumping in to him on the streets of Paris on the afternoon of a show there. He declined my offer of a sandwich (I was having a picnic at a viewpoint - though picnic is too grand a word for the few bits and pieces I was munching). Probably quite wise. I did write a long piece on that day here. Probably lost in one of the server crashes.

And doesn't it sound great live? I too was hoping for Black Moon. Was v happy to get Open Mind instead. Love the fact that they planned the two nights to allow for minimal overlap for the many two-nighters.

Loving tales of meeting Glenn and Nels, my two musical heroes right now! I would expect Nels to be a bit weird and intense, but he seems pretty normal and likeable:

If I met Glenn I would struggle to get out the words 'I am not worthy'. How exhausted must he be after a full show of that?

A few of us saw Glenn Kotche after the second Roundhouse show and lobbied (again) for Dublin. Wilco have skipped Dublin on the last three European tours. He said they will likely come in March or May. But I wonder if he was just saying that...

I take this back! Plans for a Dublin show for 2012 were confirmed yesterday on Wilco's Facebook page by Wilco. (The old adage: "If it's posted on Facebook, it must be true.") Yay!

Glenn Kotche is so unbelievably kind. He is truly a superstar. One basks in his presence.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/index.php?blog=6&p=1739&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Wild Mercury Sound

Uncut Playlist 38, 2011, plus Wilco live

2011-11-02 11:03:40

To the Roundhouse last Saturday, for the Wilco and Jonathan Wilson show, which I suspect one or two of you may also have seen.

More and more often these days, I turn to “Kicking Television” before any other Wilco album, and am beginning to suspect it might actually be their defining work. Watching on Saturday night, it’s clear that stability hasn’t brought any complacency to the lineup, and that now would be a sensible time to put out another live album. For all their imaginative use of the studio (not least on “The Whole Love”), it occurs that like one of their clear antecedents, The Grateful Dead, Wilco are at their most potent onstage.

Saturday’s show was a brilliant operation in drawing affinities between different phases of the band. So an opening “One Sunday Morning” flowed artfully into “Poor Places”, then into a take on “Art Of Almost” that, with Glenn Kotche playing breaks, was the closest Wilco have ever come to sonically justifying that old ‘American Radiohead’ tag.

A bit of a frontloaded set, I think: it’s hard to top a 5-6-7 of “At Least That's What You Said”, “Bull Black Nova” and “Via Chicago”; and some of the makeweight powerpop songs from the new album blurred into one another in the second half (culminating in Nick Lowe guesting on “Cruel To Be Kind”). Even then, though, there was always something interesting at the edges: Nels Cline, of course, providing imaginative friction; Pat Sansone’s intuitive piano lines; the relentless energy of the whole band, and the sheer creative joy that they seem to generate.

John Mulvey

I take this back! Plans for a Dublin show for 2012 were confirmed yesterday on Wilco's Facebook page by Wilco. (The old adage: "If it's posted on Facebook, it must be true.") Yay!

Glenn Kotche is so unbelievably kind. He is truly a superstar. One basks in his presence.

Can't see this on Facebook - would you like to share more info?

Yes GK is a drumming god and a nice man to boot!

Knew there was one more question: did anyone notice, or has anyone noticed elsewhere, a weird, distorted buzzing in places on One Sunday Morning. It was one of those things that made me think there was a real problem with the PA system, and then I noticed it was coming and going. The song is so gentle, it really stood out. Will have to listen closely to the recording of Bristol from Dime to see if it's deliberate. I note Glasgow's on there, but sound doesn't sound so promising, though One Wing sample is OK. Have not had a chance to listen to Bristol yet. Sadly no tapers at all either night at Roundhouse, or at least not Dime ones. You Tube Saturday 3-song encore helps compensate!