Heard that Bobby Keys passed away today - read that he was ill a few months ago. He definitely found his niche within the Stones, it's amazing that he lasted so long within the origination, I guess it had a lot to do with his relationship with Keith.

He was a good player, though - too.

I think the first time I heard Bobby Keys' work was when I was 7, I got Let It Bleed for Xmas right after it came out. I had no idea of who the man was, of course, but I recall Live With Me making a distinct impression on me. Seriously. In an album chock full of great moments, his solo is one of em.

As far as his relationship with the band, In Keith's autobiography he's on record as saying he said that he had to fight to keep Bobby in the band. Because of Jagger, apparently. In fact (I think it was Steel Wheels '89) there was a whole tour where Mick didn't say a fucking word to Bobby, even though I'm sure he introduced him onstage every night. Damn that's pretty dysfunctional when it's someone you've known for 40 years.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just binged the 4 episodes of My Life as a Rolling Stone that were made available on BBC iPlayer as the first went out on air. Each of an hour focusing on the 4 individuals. Mick - bit bland

I really wish they would've stopped when Charlie died. Steve Jordan is a good drummer but he is wrong for the Stones. He doesn't swing. & Keith is losing it on guitar. His guitar signal is so proc

Happy 80th birthday to Keith!

As far as his relationship with the band, In Keith's autobiography he's on record as saying he said that he had to fight to keep Bobby in the band. Because of Jagger, apparently. In fact (I think it was Steel Wheels '89) there was a whole tour where Mick didn't say a fucking word to Bobby, even though I'm sure he introduced him onstage every night. Damn that's pretty dysfunctional when it's someone you've known for 40 years.

Pretty sure this had to do with Keys' (somewhat) legendary drinking and missing gigs because of the drinking. Shitty, yeah, but perhaps understandable, too.

Bobby loved to bathe in champagne with hotties. The man was like a mentor to me. Screw Mick if he couldn't understand the lifestyle.

Guess it is good that Bobby got the book out before he croaked.  I wonder if the kind of wretched excess that older rock musicians experienced is still possible.  It seems like they are more subdued these days.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

Keith "plays" a moog in 1969. Is it just me or does he actually have no clue what he is doing?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-keith-richards-moog-20150120-story.html

Think he nailed it. :lol

Guess it would have be interesting to see what Brian Jones could have done with it  ---- he may have used on Satanic, but not sure.

• 4 months later...

I am not sure if the exact reason ever came out - I heard health reasons and that Taylor wanted more dough. Who knows. It would have made sense for him to be on this tour - since they are focusing on Sticky Fingers.

Perhaps Taylor realized this going in and expected more money - esp. if he was going to play on more tunes throughout the show.

Nowadays - esp. with the Stones - insurance for all the musicians have to cost a ton  -- guessing Taylor's costs didn't jive in the 'cost–benefit analysis' report.

Crazy Mama is a nice nod to JJ Cale. I was supposed to see him at the Belly Up. Otherwise, not quite a $2 million show.

The Rolling Stones 5-27-15
Belly Up Tavern Solana Beach, CA

Start Me Up
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
You Got Me Rocking
Tumbling Dice
When the Whip Comes Down
I Got the Blues
Crazy Mama
(first since 6 July 1998)
Paint It Black
Midnight Rambler
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
Sympathy for the Devil
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Brown Sugar
----------
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

I wonder if you have any say so re the set list when you pay $2 million for a private show...

Nice piece on Jagger talking about Moonlight Mile - not sure if I have read such a detailed account of one his tunes by him, before.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mick-jagger-and-moonlight-mile-1432735648

Very cool piece on possibly my favorite Stones tune. I always associated those particular lyrics with coke, as well. Puts a little different perspective on it now. I'd love to here the current (electric) version....