Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band

I wonder how someone got thier hands on a Bruce SBD? I can see how in the old days, but in modern times, it can't be that easy.

I suspect it was actually Bruce's people who made it happen with his blessing, either through Sirius radio or in a brown envelope to a friend. He's never been as bootleg friendly as Wilco but as long as you aren't selling them, he is happy to look the other way.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First night of the tour was fantastic. I was able to watch the last half of the show on a Facebook stream. 28 songs, 2 hours 45 minutes. The band is sounding awesome. Link for a nice review with setli

Dan Zanes is writing a book about Nebraska.  

Posted Images

Yeah, they were selling and I think it was leaked studio recordings if I recall. Studio recordings he didn't want released and the selling thing. But over the past 10 years or so, he's pretty much unofficialy made it known he's ok with fans sharing live recordings.

There was a release of some demo recordings that, if I remember correctly, came from a partner of Mike Appel.

The best bootleg ever is THE TIES THAT BIND...purported to be a copy of the original masters of the album that was supposed to be released November 1979 before Bruce decided it was to light went back in the studio to record more songs and eventually morphed into THE RIVER. ( i know it's a tortured sentence)

The best bootleg ever is THE TIES THAT BIND...purported to be a copy of the original masters of the album that was supposed to be released November 1979 before Bruce decided it was to light went back in the studio to record more songs and eventually morphed into THE RIVER. ( i know it's a tortured sentence)

Almost agree,however do you know this one(no stadium crap just Bruce & guitar):

Bruce Springsteen (solo) - Coca-Cola Planet Live - promo disk PL\BSPRO1\01

promotional disc for radio broadcast

Austereo MCM, 1996

01. The Ghost of Tom Joad \ Straight Time \ Darkness on the Edge of Town 14:53

02. Born in the U.S.A. \ Dry Lightning \ Youngstown 14:55

03. The Line \ Across The Border 16:04

04. The Streets of Philadelphia \ The Promised Land 09:54

05. Interview: out there by yourself 01:36

06. Interview: playing small shows

Recorded at the International Congress Centrum , BerlinApril 19,1996

Now that proper reverence has been expressed for Bruce, I have a couple of bitches to vent.

1. The reliance on the teleprompter is embarassing. That and the attempt to mask reading the lyrice by assuming the half-closed eye, pained, earnest artist look...sweet fancy moses.

2. If truth be told, Max Weinberg is a plodding drummer who, while technically proficient, DOES NOT SWING.

There.

Got that off my chest.

Almost agree,however do you know this one(no stadium crap just Bruce & guitar):

Bruce Springsteen (solo) - Coca-Cola Planet Live - promo disk PL\BSPRO1\01

promotional disc for radio broadcast

Austereo MCM, 1996

01. The Ghost of Tom Joad \ Straight Time \ Darkness on the Edge of Town 14:53

02. Born in the U.S.A. \ Dry Lightning \ Youngstown 14:55

03. The Line \ Across The Border 16:04

04. The Streets of Philadelphia \ The Promised Land 09:54

05. Interview: out there by yourself 01:36

06. Interview: playing small shows

Recorded at the International Congress Centrum , BerlinApril 19,1996

I like THE TIES THAT BIND, because of the alternate history aspect of it. PLUS, if you get a really pristine copy, it is an actually mixed down version ready to press and release.

Kind of stalkery but a friend of mine was dropping her son off at college this past weekend. During one of the freshman orientation sessions for parents Bruce and Patti were sitting right in front of her.

Sick...if you go on the backstreets message board they always have sightings at Duke and Boston (not sure which college there).

I would freak out but prob. not say a word....it's the BOSS.

Now that proper reverence has been expressed for Bruce, I have a couple of bitches to vent.

1. The reliance on the teleprompter is embarassing. That and the attempt to mask reading the lyrice by assuming the half-closed eye, pained, earnest artist look...sweet fancy moses.

2. If truth be told, Max Weinberg is a plodding drummer who, while technically proficient, DOES NOT SWING.

There.

Got that off my chest.

Agree the Tele is not the best thing....but he does play over 100 songs over a tour...so say he played 20-25 like 99% of bands and the same every night maybe he would not need.

Fact is he plays 30-35 songs a night and if he does 2 nights in city he changes 15 or so...that is like 50 songs in 2 nights...plus he is getting old.

Max works his ass off every night 3-4 hours....all he can do to get through each night I bet.

Agree the Tele is not the best thing....but he does play over 100 songs over a tour...so say he played 20-25 like 99% of bands and the same every night maybe he would not need.

Fact is he plays 30-35 songs a night and if he does 2 nights in city he changes 15 or so...that is like 50 songs in 2 nights...plus he is getting old.

Max works his ass off every night 3-4 hours....all he can do to get through each night I bet.

Bruce uses the teleprompter on EVERYTHING. I don't know if his memory is really that bad, if it's a crutch or if it's simply a matter of expedience. Hell...he remembers the chord changes from his songs. He remembers the basic structure of the solos. Why not the fucking lyrics.

Secondly...Max has always been a plodding drummer. Yeah, he's a warrior and he plays hurt (so to speak), but he doesn't SWING.

Bruce uses the teleprompter on EVERYTHING. I don't know if his memory is really that bad, if it's a crutch or if it's simply a matter of expedience. Hell...he remembers the chord changes from his songs. He remembers the basic structure of the solos. Why not the fucking lyrics.

Secondly...Max has always been a plodding drummer. Yeah, he's a warrior and he plays hurt (so to speak), but he doesn't SWING.

Max might not swing on a ESB tour but on Conan he has lots of swing...could be the musical stylings?

Who'll Stop the Rain (acoustic)

Has Bruce ever done that song acoustic before the other night (Boston, August the 15th)?

Thunder Road (Bruce & Roy)

Hungry Heart

Sherry Darling

Summertime Blues

Girls in Their Summer Clothes

We Take Care of Our Own

Two Hearts

Wrecking Ball

Death to My Hometown

My City of Ruins

Knock on Wood

Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?

Thundercrack

Frankie

Prove It All Night ('78 intro)

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Working on the Highway

Shackled and Drawn

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

Backstreets (with Dream Baby Dream interlude)

Badlands

Land of Hope and Dreams

Rocky Ground

Born to Run

Detroit Medley

Dancing in the Dark

Quarter to Three

Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

American Land (with Ken Casey)

Thunder Road (Bruce & Roy)

Hungry Heart

Sherry Darling

Summertime Blues

Girls in Their Summer Clothes

We Take Care of Our Own

Two Hearts

Wrecking Ball

Death to My Hometown

My City of Ruins

Knock on Wood

Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?

Thundercrack

Frankie

Prove It All Night ('78 intro)

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Working on the Highway

Shackled and Drawn

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

Backstreets (with Dream Baby Dream interlude)

Badlands

Land of Hope and Dreams

Rocky Ground

Born to Run

Detroit Medley

Dancing in the Dark

Quarter to Three

Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

American Land (with Ken Casey)

Very nice looking set list...but I have a few general comments.

1). Magic was a really good record. Why does has he not managed to play more songs from this record? GIRLS IN THEIR SUMMER CLOTHES is a wonderful song. But so are GYPSY BIKER, RADIO NOWHERE, LONG WALK HOME, MAGIC...Is he avoiding the anti-war songs because of some misguided thought that the Wars are over? Or that playing these songs will be attacking Obama (whom he so very strongly supported)?

2). Adding a DREAM BABY DREAM interlude to BACKSTREETS sounds like a stroke of genius.

3). I REALLY like the revival of the solo piano arrangement of THUNDER ROAD.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

New album:

Bruce Springsteen confirmed plans for a new studio album, High Hopes, scheduled for release January 14. The eighteenth studio album from Springsteen will serve as the follow up to 2012’s Wrecking Ball and will include a mix of original material (new and old) as well as covers.

Among the reworked old songs is “The Ghost of Tom Joad,” which will feature Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello. The song was previously released in 1995 as a part of the album of the same name. The covers include Suicide’s “Dream Baby Dream,” which Springsteen has played live throughout his Wrecking Ball tour and “High Hopes,” originally written by The Havalinas and covered by Bruce for his EP Blood Brothers.

High Hopes Tracklist:

High Hopes
Harry’s Place
American Skin (41 Shots)
Just Like Fire Would
Down In The Hole
Heaven’s Wall
Frankie Fell In Love
This Is Your Sword
Hunter Of Invisible Game
The Ghost of Tom Joad (w/Tom Morello)
The Wall
Dream Baby Dream

It seems Bruce is not slowing down anytime soon.

From Backstreets:

They couldn't go back to Australia without a new album, right? Right. On January 14, less than two weeks before Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band set out for South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand, Springsteen will release his 18th studio album, High Hopes.

The title track is one with a history in Springsteen's repertoire, a Tim Scott/Havalinas cut that Bruce first tackled with the E Street Band in '95, then revisited live in Australia early this year. In the album's liner notes, Springsteen describes the cover — resurrected at Tom Morello's suggestion — as a catalyst for this new album. Bruce states that he was already "working on a record of some of our best unreleased material from the past decade," but then "Tom and his guitar became my muse, pushing the rest of this project to another level."

So this is not Tracks 2. Still, "High Hopes" isn't the only song fans have heard before; as Springsteen writes, "Some of these songs... you'll be familiar with from our live versions. I felt they were among the best of my writing and deserved a proper studio recording." A full half of the album's 12 songs have been performed live, also including "American Skin (41 Shots)," "The Wall," "The Ghost of Tom Joad," Saints cover "Just Like Fire Would," and Suicide cover "Dream Baby Dream." Only one of them, however, "The Ghost of Tom Joad," had been released in a studio version already, and that, of course, in a dramatically different form.

Enter Tom Morello. As the High Hopes "muse," Morello is all over this record, dueting on "Joad" and playing on "High Hopes," "Harry's Place" (a title known from Springsteen's Rising-era notebook), "American Skin," "Just Like Fire Would," "Heaven's Wall," "Hunter of Invisible Game," and "Dream Baby Dream."

The remaining tracks on the record are all Springsteen originals: "Down in the Hole," "Frankie Fell in Love," and "This Is Your Sword."

In addition to the Sydney studio sessions Springsteen had previously spoke about, the album was recorded in New Jersey, Los Angeles, Atlanta, and New York City, with production credit going to Brendan O'Brien, Ron Aniello, and Springsteen. The various locales and production credits reflect material dating back to sessions for The Rising. As the press release states, "Clarence Clemons, who passed away in 2011, and Danny Federici, who passed away in 2008, also appear on several songs.

Bruce Springsteen's High Hopes Liner Notes
I was working on a record of some of our best unreleased material from the past decade when Tom Morello (sitting in for Steve during the Australian leg of our tour) suggested we ought to add "High Hopes" to our live set. I had cut "High Hopes," a song by Tim Scott McConnell of the LA based Havalinas, in the '90s. We worked it up in our Aussie rehearsals and Tom then proceeded to burn the house down with it. We re-cut it mid tour at Studios 301 in Sydney along with "Just Like Fire Would," a song from one of my favorite early Australian punk bands, The Saints (check out "I'm Stranded"). Tom and his guitar became my muse, pushing the rest of this project to another level. Thanks for the inspiration Tom.

Some of these songs, "American Skin" and "Ghost of Tom Joad," you'll be familiar with from our live versions. I felt they were among the best of my writing and deserved a proper studio recording. "The Wall" is something I'd played on stage a few times and remains very close to my heart. The title and idea were Joe Grushecky's, then the song appeared after Patti and I made a visit to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington. It was inspired by my memories of Walter Cichon. Walter was one of the great early Jersey Shore rockers, who along with his brother Ray (one of my early guitar mentors) led the "Motifs". The Motifs were a local rock band who were always a head above everybody else. Raw, sexy and rebellious, they were the heroes you aspired to be. But these were heroes you could touch, speak to, and go to with your musical inquiries. Cool, but always accessible, they were an inspiration to me, and many young working musicians in 1960's central New Jersey. Though my character in "The Wall" is a Marine, Walter was actually in the Army, A Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Infantry. He was the first person I ever stood in the presence of who was filled with the mystique of the true rock star. Walter went missing in action in Vietnam in March 1968. He still performs somewhat regularly in my mind, the way he stood, dressed, held the tambourine, the casual cool, the freeness. The man who by his attitude, his walk said "you can defy all this, all of what's here, all of what you've been taught, taught to fear, to love and you'll still be alright." His was a terrible loss to us, his loved ones and the local music scene. I still miss him.

This is music I always felt needed to be released. From the gangsters of "Harry's Place," the ill-prepared roomies on "Frankie Fell In Love" (shades of Steve and I bumming together in our Asbury Park apartment) the travelers in the wasteland of "Hunter Of Invisible Game," to the soldier and his visiting friend in "The Wall", I felt they all deserved a home and a hearing. Hope you enjoy it.
—Bruce Springsteen

this sounds cool.  i've not heard any of those 'older tunes' except 41 shots and tom joad.  looking forward to this.  i love when artists give us a peak into their creative process of how songs come about about, what's in the vaults and why.  now, did the tune mary's place, from rising, used to be harry's place?

incidentally, i live right down the street from o'brien's studio and when ever i drive past i'm wondering if bruce is in there dicking around.  there's a private airport right here too, so i assume it's simple for him to fly in on his jet, recrod some stuff and be out in an afternoon.  pretty sweet.  i've not run into any of the pearl jam dudes.  they record there too.  however, jeff ament had $2000 stolen from his person once.

Not too long ago, the other great songwriter named Bruce (Cockburn) mentioned that he could only carry about 20-25 of his own songs in his head at any given time. Part of it might be age, but if you write fairly complex lyrics - and have to sing them while playing guitar - I can see where that could happen.

Maybe if Springsteen didn't use the teleprompter, he'd be forced to play the exact same songs every night like some big acts do.

now, did the tune mary's place, from rising, used to be harry's place?

That seems to be the case.  He referred to the lyrics for "Harry's Place" during an interview prior release of The Rising.  It would seem like the song was reworked into Mary's Place but I guess time will tell.