Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First night of the tour was fantastic. I was able to watch the last half of the show on a Facebook stream. 28 songs, 2 hours 45 minutes. The band is sounding awesome. Link for a nice review with setli

Dan Zanes is writing a book about Nebraska.  

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

From a recent interview with Bruce up at Rolling Stone.com - near the end:

This year also marks the 30th anniversary of Springsteen’s smash Born in the U.S.A. but his manager Jon Landau says there are no plans to celebrate that with a deluxe reissue – at least not yet. "There's ongoing work on a River box set," says Landau. "Maybe we’ll do that first. And we're doing some major work on his first two albums [1973's Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. and The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle] as we speak. Those will be forthcoming."

• 2 weeks later...

Side 2 of the River has always been a favorite since I was 10.

Last saw Bruce and the E Street Band in Milwaukee for the Harley-Davidson 105 .

Last stop of the 2007 tour. 3 hours+!  What a great time.

That show really made up for some who were disappointed when Elton John headlined the Harley 100th.

( Wow , talk about relocating lawn seats after that Biker exodus. At times EJ's band wailed, yup. )

Side 2 of the River has always been a favorite since I was 10.

Last saw Bruce and the E Street Band in Milwaukee for the Harley-Davidson 105 .

Last stop of the 2007 tour. 3 hours+! What a great time.

That show really made up for some who were disappointed when Elton John headlined the Harley 100th.

( Wow , talk about relocating lawn seats after that Biker exodus. At times EJ's band wailed, yup. )

I was lucky enough to see Bruce perform the river at msg seek out the download! What a great show!

Cool , I'll look out for that show. That show must've rocked.

I know Nils Lofgren wasn't in the E Street band at that point.

but, I love his Black Boots song. 

yeah, he pines on  a bit. But really makes those nylon strings sing ...great harmonics.

• 3 weeks later...

I recall him talking about this a several years ago (by way of Rolling Stone):

Bruce Springsteen will begin offering fans the ability to download complete concerts following the kickoff of his 2014 tour in Cape Town, South Africa on January 26th. "Fans around the world can purchase a special USB wristband, both online and at the tour venues," says a press release. "They will be able to pick one show of their choice to download on their USB wristband (approximately 48 hours after the show)."

Springsteen explained his decision in a recent interview with NPR. "I'd like to make things more available through the Internet," he said. "The Internet has become our friend . . . I think we live more in a Grateful Dead touring idea, that everything you do is recorded now. And that's OK with me, you know. As a matter of fact, I believe on this tour, we're starting to do something like you can come in, you can buy a [wrist]band, you can get a copy of the night's show. So hopefully we're gonna do that at a really nice-quality level."

• 4 weeks later...

New Spring tour dates!

http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

April 8 - Cincinnati, OH
April 12 - Virginia Beach, VA
April 15 - Columbus, OH
April 17 - Nashville, TN
April 19 - Charlotte, NC
April 22 - Pittsburgh, PA
April 24 - Raleigh, NC
April 26 - Atlanta, GA
April 29 - Sunrise, FL
May 1 - Tampa, FL
May 3 - New Orleans, LA
May 6 - Houston, TX
May 13 - Albany, NY
May 14 - Hershey, PA
May 17 - Uncasville, CT
May 18 - Uncasville, CT

New Spring tour dates!

http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

April 8 - Cincinnati, OH

April 12 - Virginia Beach, VA

April 15 - Columbus, OH

April 17 - Nashville, TN

April 19 - Charlotte, NC

April 22 - Pittsburgh, PA

April 24 - Raleigh, NC

April 26 - Atlanta, GA

April 29 - Sunrise, FL

May 1 - Tampa, FL

May 3 - New Orleans, LA

May 6 - Houston, TX

May 13 - Albany, NY

May 14 - Hershey, PA

May 17 - Uncasville, CT

May 18 - Uncasville, CT

I was really surprised when I saw this listing for Tampa. He's playing the big amphitheater and not the indoor hockey rink (I checked). Granted, they both accommodate about 20,000 people, but with the outdoor one, a lot of those are just areas on the lawn way the hell in the back, not actual seats. This is the same place where the AmericanaramA tour played last year.

Should I go? I have never seen Springsteen, and am a casual fan at best - I like Tenth Ave. Freeze Out, Born to Run, Rosalita, but not much else. He would be playing a lot of stuff I have never heard, or heard once and didn't get into. I own nothing but his greatest hits, and I'm not even crazy about some of those. Decisions, decisions...Maybe I need to see the ticket prices first.

Should I go? I have never seen Springsteen, and am a casual fan at best - I like Tenth Ave. Freeze Out, Born to Run, Rosalita, but not much else. He would be playing a lot of stuff I have never heard, or heard once and didn't get into. I own nothing but his greatest hits, and I'm not even crazy about some of those. Decisions, decisions...Maybe I need to see the ticket prices first.

Seeing Springsteen live turned me from a casual fan to a die-hard fan.  One of the most transcendental concerts I've ever seen.  Having said that, you sound like you don't want to go.

I would agree with indy81. Bruce puts on a great show, but you don't sound sold on it. You have to go in with a good attitude. I don't listen to Bruce at home, but I've seen him 3-4 times and it is a fun show. Better now with a big band too imo.

Not too long ago, the other great songwriter named Bruce (Cockburn) mentioned that he could only carry about 20-25 of his own songs in his head at any given time. Part of it might be age, but if you write fairly complex lyrics - and have to sing them while playing guitar - I can see where that could happen.

Maybe if Springsteen didn't use the teleprompter, he'd be forced to play the exact same songs every night like some big acts do.

I haven't seen Dylan on his never ending tour...does HE use a teleprompter?

I was really surprised when I saw this listing for Tampa. He's playing the big amphitheater and not the indoor hockey rink (I checked). Granted, they both accommodate about 20,000 people, but with the outdoor one, a lot of those are just areas on the lawn way the hell in the back, not actual seats. This is the same place where the AmericanaramA tour played last year.

Don't go.

You seem to have little or no interest and you do seem to be hard to impress. Let someone who is a true believer buy the tickets.

Don't go.

You seem to have little or no interest and you do seem to be hard to impress. Let someone who is a true believer buy the tickets.

:lol

You got my number. I am hard to impress, as I have been to so many great shows over the years. I figured I might spring for a lawn seat and just see if it's fun, because his shows are so long, but I look at his recent set lists and recognize about 4 songs. It would either convert me or be a long, boring night out.

Oh, I forgot to answer your question: no teleprompter for Dylan, but he also does pretty much the same set every night. He could probably do it in his sleep.

How good is Springsteen's sound man? I saw Aerosmith at this place a couple years ago, and their sound was excellent, but Blue Oyster Cult opened for them and had absolutely terrible sound. Like, "below contemporary professional standards" terrible.

i'm sure that had more to do w/ Aerosmith than BOC's sound guy.

a few years ago at Fenway, Tyler got pissed when Peter Wolf walked out on the little runway jutting out from the stage (J Geils Band opened). Apparently Wolf wasn't supposed to have full use of the stage. 

it's pretty common for opening bands to get the shaft, sound-wise, so i wouldn't doubt that that's what happened here.

Hmm, could be, but I don't think it always works out that way. I saw Dylan open for The Dead in 2003 (and he joined them for part of their set), and while the sound was horrid for Zimmy, the Dead's sound was pristine. They worship Bob, so I'm confident they wouldn't have shafted him.

Anyway, if Springsteen's sound is generally considered good in a variety of venues, I might give it a go.

a few years ago at Fenway, Tyler got pissed when Peter Wolf walked out on the little runway jutting out from the stage (J Geils Band opened). Apparently Wolf wasn't supposed to have full use of the stage. 

That is just beautiful.