• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the arguement on how do you give awards for arts (Music, TV, Movies) but I still would love them to get the recognition they deserve.

It's true that the practice in general is suspect. The Grammies earn special disdain, though, for how consistently divorced they've been from reality. As an artist I guess it's cool to get rewards, but nominations or wins of these things mean literally nothing.

I'm not sure, but I think a spike in sales is pretty much guaranteed for all winners. Plus, Grammy wins are almost always mentioned in career overviews. And it's probably more cool than uncool to have a Grammy award sitting in your house. So, not literally nothing, really.

I doubt that is a real category.

I doubt that is your real name.

I don't care if they're nominated (remote), I don' care if they win. The Grammy is the least significant performing arts award there is. If they do, by chance, perform, I would tune in, but otherwise wouldn't care in the least bit.

I would care only if I knew/believed that Wilco cared. Otherwise, the Grammys have so little to do with my musical life that I pay them no attention for years. If Wilco was happy for it, I would be happy for them. TWL is certainly worthy of a nomination, and a win.

I'm not sure, but I think a spike in sales is pretty much guaranteed for all winners. Plus, Grammy wins are almost always mentioned in career overviews. And it's probably more cool than uncool to have a Grammy award sitting in your house. So, not literally nothing, really.

I did use the word "literally" advisedly. But you're right; there probably are some ancillary advantages. I was referring specifically to the significance, the honor, the prestige, the career validation. We need look no further than Wilco's last album to review how meaningful these things are. Wilco (the Album) was nominated, absurdly in that Americana category. With artists like Dylan, Levon Helm, Willie Nelson. Seriously, do you think they even listened to (TA)?

I would care only if I knew/believed that Wilco cared. Otherwise, the Grammys have so little to do with my musical life that I pay them no attention for years. If Wilco was happy for it, I would be happy for them. TWL is certainly worthy of a nomination, and a win.

Jeff has commented that he was happy to win. I believe his parents really dug it and that made him happy.

Am I wrong, or did they not already win one for A Ghost is Born?

You are correct. Best Alternative album.

This is where having your own label may be a detriment. Grammys come from press junkets, gift bags, and general whoreification. Not sure how they pulled the last grammy, but one or more of the above had to have been in play. Hope I am wrong, but sure the Ben Gibbard got dumped by that Zooey chick from the movie about pollen with Mark Wahlberg may be the anchor that sinks whatever remaining credibility this farce still has.

Hope I am wrong, but sure the Ben Gibbard got dumped by that Zooey chick from the movie about pollen with Mark Wahlberg may be the anchor that sinks whatever remaining credibility this farce still has.

The end of Zooey Deschanel and Ben Gibbard's marriage is potentially a factor in some vague credibility meter for the Grammy Awards?

Wilco's hard work and stellar output has earned them clout over the years. I actually think their name is bigger than most "alternative" artists and is what could get them a nomination. Wilco's been nominated once each for 2 different musical categories (Sky Blue Sky/Best Rock Album and Ghost is Born/Best Alternative Album), so it's anybody's guess where "The Whole Love" gets slotted.

I'm guessing they DO NOT get a nomination, mostly because the competition is loaded with either bigger names or better records (whether that's perveived or actual is up for debate in most cases):

Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, M83, Tom Waits, Coldplay, Radiohead, R.E.M., Ryan Adams, Decemberists, My Morning Jacket, PJ Harvey, Black Keys, Drive-By Truckers, Iron & Wine, Fountains of Wayne, Kurt Vile, TV on the Radio, Telekenesis....and that doesn't include Foo Fighters, Lenny Kravitz or some other mediocre mainstream album that will get nominated for name only.

I can see a nomination for Alternative Album. No way for Album of the Year (even though it's one of my favorites). Adele and Kanye will be two of the noms and maybe Radiohead or Bon Iver. Taylor Swift and Fleet Foxes are other possibilities. They always have a few big name artists nominated, regardless of quality. Not many popular old farts made comebacks this year (see: Herbie Hancock, Robert Plant, Steely Dan, Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young, etc.) so no nominations there.

I can see a nomination for Alternative Album. No way for Album of the Year (even though it's one of my favorites). Adele and Kanye will be two of the noms and maybe Radiohead or Bon Iver. Taylor Swift and Fleet Foxes are other possibilities. They always have a few big name artists nominated, regardless of quality. Not many popular old farts made comebacks this year (see: Herbie Hancock, Robert Plant, Steely Dan, Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young, etc.) so no nominations there.

I don't get the logic where you think Bon Iver or Fleet Foxes have a shot at Album of the Year but "no way" for Wilco.

I don't get the logic where you think Bon Iver or Fleet Foxes have a shot at Album of the Year but "no way" for Wilco.

None of them do. This will probably be Adele's year. Is Kanye eligible? I never remember what the Grammy calendar looks like.

Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes

1. They are the critic's darlings right now. Both sold more albums than Wilco.

2. They aren't too new. If this was their first album, no chance. Just like Funeral and Neon Bible didn't get nominated, even though many think they are better than Suburbs. Or AGIB winning and nothing for YHF.

3. Bon Iver's work with Kanye brings him into a bigger spotlight.

Bottom line, they are only going to give one or two slots to non-mainstream artists, and Radiohead, Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes will be ahead of Wilco in the pecking order.

Personally I think an "indie" artist has no chance to win this year after AF won last year. The Empire Strikes Back!! I agree with the above Adele prediction. Perfect combo for them of highly popular and actually talented. There are some good songs on the album, but several throwaways as well. Def. not AOTY material.