Albums of the year 2011

Thankfully, we have bands like Dawes that are easy to get into and bring a fresh, original perspective to the table.

Since I didnt' mention them in this thread, why bang on me?

I don't like Jonny Corndawg. So What?

By the way...good to see you back.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CDM - No harm intended, but I just couldn't resist.

tp - Been well. The fall was busy as usual (actually even busier that usual this year). How've you been?

My baker's dozen for 2011:

1. Our Blood/Richard Buckner

2. The Harrow & the Harvest/Gillian Welch

3. Candidate Waltz/Centro-matic

4. El Camino/The Black Keys (Jock rock meets glam)

5. Mount Moriah/Mount Moriah

6. Scandalous/Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears

7. Down on the Bikini Line/Jonny Corndawg

8. Mirror Traffic/Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks

9. Strange Love/The Deep Vibration

10. Go-Go Boots/Drive-By Truckers

11. Several Shades of Why/J Mascis

12. Believers/A.A. Bondy

13. Apocalypse/Bill Callahan

I've also really enjoyed the deluxe reissue of Some Girls.

CDM - No harm intended, but I just couldn't resist.

tp - Been well. The fall was busy as usual (actually even busier that usual this year). How've you been?

My baker's dozen for 2011:

1. Our Blood/Richard Buckner

2. The Harrow & the Harvest/Gillian Welch

3. Candidate Waltz/Centro-matic

4. El Camino/The Black Keys (Jock rock meets glam)

5. Mount Moriah/Mount Moriah

6. Scandalous/Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears

7. Down on the Bikini Line/Jonny Corndawg

8. Mirror Traffic/Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks

9. Strange Love/The Deep Vibration

10. Go-Go Boots/Drive-By Truckers

11. Several Shades of Why/J Mascis

12. Believers/A.A. Bondy

13. Apocalypse/Bill Callahan

I've also really enjoyed the deluxe reissue of Some Girls.

I can forgive you including the johnny corndawg for your inclusion of the Deep Vibrartion.

that is a really nice and overlooked record.

Yep - Once

Collection of (mostly) covers done by a couple of guys who know their way around a song: Mark Caputo of Belleville and Al Chan of The Rubinoos.

They take a bunch of songs that you probably already know and cast them in a way that brings out new melodic, harmonic and emotional wrinkles that were always there, but that you probably never noticed before. Here's a perfect example:

Love it.

Yep - Once

Collection of (mostly) covers done by a couple of guys who know their way around a song: Mark Caputo of Belleville and Al Chan of The Rubinoos.

They take a bunch of songs that you probably already know and cast them in a way that brings out new melodic, harmonic and emotional wrinkles that were always there, but that you probably never noticed before. Here's a perfect example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiatCi2nN7U

Love it.

Is that a mash up of "Down by the river " and "Rocket man"?

I don't know if they are the top albums but six that I expect I will continue to listen to are:

Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Buffalo Tom - Skins

Feelies - Here Before

Low Anthem - Smart Flesh

Real Estate - Days

Wilco - The Whole Love

I love that Buffalo Tom!

I don't usually partake in these threads per se, because I am of the age where I may not buy more than 9 NEW records a year.

But, I do have some that are 'new' that I really like

Kurt Vile --- Smoke Rings for My Halo

Wilco --- The Whole Love

Dawes --- Nothing is Wrong

Middle Brother --- Middle Brother

The Kooks --- Junk of the Heart

Marah --- Life is a Problem

The Deep Vibration --- Strange Love

TV on the Radio --- Nine Types of Light

Ryan Adams --- Ashes and Fire

Okkervil River --- I am very Far

My Morning Jacket --- Circuital

Manchester Orchestra --- Simple Math

The Foo Fighters --- Wasting Light

One of my favorites I bought this year was a 2010 release... Delta Spirit --- History from Below

I don't usually partake in these threads per se, because I am of the age where I may not buy more than 9 NEW records a year.

But, I do have some that are 'new' that I really like

Kurt Vile --- Smoke Rings for My Halo

Wilco --- The Whole Love

Dawes --- Nothing is Wrong

Middle Brother --- Middle Brother

The Kooks --- Jun of the Heart

Marah --- Life is a Problem

The Deep Vibration --- Strange Love

TV on the Radio --- Nine Types of Light

Ryan Adams --- Ashes and Fire

Okkervil River --- I am very Far

My Morning Jacket --- Circuital

Manchester Orchestra --- Simple Math

The Foo Fighters --- Wasting Light

One of my favorites I bought this year was a 2010 release... Delta Spirit --- History from Below

Forgot one

The Horrible Crowes --- Elsie

Marah is so 2010, But hey no love for both DBT releases this year?

I thought Marah was this year and I forgot about DBT.

I thought Marah was this year and I forgot about DBT.

DBT should definitely be on the list...Go Go Boots is a really good record.

Speaking of DBT...is Rob Malone replacing Shonna for the time being?

From Three Dimes Down:

David Barbe will be playing bass in our upcoming shows. He has been part of the DBT family since 2000.

http://threedimesdown.com/

Barbe...got it.

I'm curious and excited to hear where the Truckers go next with a new bassist. The last three-album stretch (BTCD, TBTD and GGB) was really great, IMO, and I loved Shonna's contributions. The Hood/Cooley contrast has always been there, but I'm wondering if another songwriter will step up/emerge from within...

I'm curious and excited to hear where the Truckers go next with a new bassist. The last three-album stretch (BTCD, TBTD and GGB) was really great, IMO, and I loved Shonna's contributions. The Hood/Cooley contrast has always been there, but I'm wondering if another songwriter will step up/emerge from within...

Hopefully, they change things up. Their last four albums have been pretty average, with Go-Go Boots being their worst.

that's not true at all. ABAAC might be bad but the last three were great, especially BTCD. most fans consider that one of their best.

-justin

It's true for me. The Big To-Do is probably the best of the bunch, and Brighter than Creation's Dark is too bloated. There are some great songs there, but more than half of it sounds like filler.

i'm surprised Dawes and Jayhawks are on these lists. at the same time, these albums got a lot of buzz, but upon release the buzz really died down. i for one don't like the new jayhawks. seems like they tried a bit too hard. Dawes is just too slow of an album with two of the best songs in the last several years: Time Spent In Los Angeles, Fire Away.

i agree with the sentiment about the jayhawks album. i do like the track pouring rain at dawn.

with dawes, while i really like the one that came out this year, finding that album, nothing is wrong, introduced me to their first, north hills, which is now among my all-time favorite albums.

other than that, i have really enjoyed, top to bottom:

bon iver, bon iver

fleet foxes

wilco

ryan adams

bits and pieces of:

st. vincent

here recently, i've found and really like (but need more time with):

chris robinson

kurt vile

Hopefully, they change things up. Their last four albums have been pretty average, with Go-Go Boots being their worst.

You think? I disagree.

that's not true at all. ABAAC might be bad but the last three were great, especially BTCD. most fans consider that one of their best.

-justin

I think ABAAC is the worst out of the last four -- but it does contain one of my favorite DBT songs.

It's true for me. The Big To-Do is probably the best of the bunch, and Brighter than Creation's Dark is too bloated. There are some great songs there, but more than half of it sounds like filler.

The Big To-Do is back in rotation in my car. It's heavier than BTCD and Go-Go Boots for sure, but definitely has that southern soul edge their music has now. I like the addition of the keys/organ to their sound and I think the songwriting is as strong as ever. That being said -- BTCD is a bit bloated. They could've trimmed some fat on that one.

I am busy all the time and miss a lot of music so I use the end of year lists to see if I may have missed anything. In the past it has led me to bands like Neutral Milk Hotel, The Minutemen, The Strokes, Leslie Feist, The Libertines, and countless other classics. I seriously don't get Bon Iver. I am not being sarcastic, snobbish, or contrarion,but this does not work for me. There are at least a half dozen sites where this album is number one. I am sure I am getting old, but to prove I am hip I like the Shins, if that helps. Mumford and sons and Bn Iver just baffle me.

I am busy all the time and miss a lot of music so I use the end of year lists to see if I may have missed anything. In the past it has led me to bands like Neutral Milk Hotel, The Minutemen, The Strokes, Leslie Feist, The Libertines, and countless other classics. I seriously don't get Bon Iver. I am not being sarcastic, snobbish, or contrarion,but this does not work for me. There are at least a half dozen sites where this album is number one. I am sure I am getting old, but to prove I am hip I like the Shins, if that helps. Mumford and sons and Bn Iver just baffle me.

You neither have to be, nor prove that you are hip.

Not everybody likes everything.

I don't get the Grateful Dead. I don't get Bon Iver either. I sometimes wonder if there is a deficiency in my taste, but it is what it is.